Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying a Syncro in Utah and driving it back to Alaska
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Buying a Syncro in Utah and driving it back to Alaska Reply with quote

I must be completely nuts. I am in the process of buying a 87 syncro from a guy near SLC Utah. I am buying this without actually seeing it for myself. I sent my father-in-law to check it out and make sure it seems like a legit deal. The funds should arrive in Utah soon and the van should be at my in-laws next week.

I have wanted a syncro since I first saw one in the REI parking lot in Anchorage. So there we were planning a trip to Utah for the holidays and I thought what the heck I'll see if there are any syncros for sale. I found exactly what I have been looking for, a pop-top without all the extra that the westy has. I really don't want to cook where I sleep and most of the time a cooler works fine up here.

So I will have 3 weeks in SLC to check it out, a trip to Moab for a shakedown and then I will be heading north in mid-january bound for the end of the road in Alaska.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'71 Squareback '71 Porsche 914 ‘80 Camper '87 Syncro Weekender 1.8T '87 Wolfsburg Weekender '97 Toyota Land Cruiser ‘03 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 ‘04 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T ‘05 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0
‘06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would seriously consider putting it on the boat out of Bellingham. Getting parts on the Alcan can make a serious bummer out of the trip. Besides, it is probably cheaper, gas wise.

I bought mine this summer, and have spent a couple of months getting the kinks out of the van. The Syncro has kind of a steep learning curve mechanically. Once you understand the beast it is really kind of simple.

Cheers,
james
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ferry is a great trip but there is still a lot of driving to be done once the ferry gets to Haines.

I have driven the Alcan close to 20 times, if it looks risky after driving it for a couple of weeks I won't do it.

Several years ago my wife and I (before kids) bought a $800 Subaru wagon and made the drive from SLC to Anchorage. Only bummer was that the heater couldn't really keep up at -20f.

'71 Squareback '71 Porsche 914 ‘80 Camper '87 Syncro Weekender 1.8T '87 Wolfsburg Weekender '97 Toyota Land Cruiser ‘03 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 ‘04 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T ‘05 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this ones been sold but it's still in the classifieds.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=156244
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, cool purchase! i live down in Provo (about an hour south of SLC), if you need a place to work 'er while your in the area, c'mon over!

Past: 1985 Sunroof GL, 2wd, Subaru 3.3L, manual trans, resprayed to Diamond Silver L97A
seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:
Don't know if this ones been sold but it's still in the classifieds.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=156244

I saw that a while back but I really don't want all the westy stuff, I know ther are worth more but...

getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are in for a great trip. I bought a 87 syncro in Seattle last spring and drove it back to MT (although not Utah-Alaska), and it was one of the esiest most relaxed trips ever. It is a crash course in getting to know your van. We fortunately didn't have a problem, and made the trip three times over the summer with only a starter glitch. However, the first day I had it in my posession a nice lady hit us driving through Seattle causing $1400of body work. We didn't let that down, besides it provided me with $1400 towards accessories. Anyways, my only sugestion is have it checked over by someone other than yourself. Is your Father-in-Law mechanically inclined? Two pairs of investigating senses tend to identify problems a little easier.

Cheers!
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id be willing to go check it out too, if you want

Past: 1985 Sunroof GL, 2wd, Subaru 3.3L, manual trans, resprayed to Diamond Silver L97A
seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProvoCyclist wrote:
id be willing to go check it out too, if you want

I may look you up when I get down to Utah and get the van, mid December.

seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The van is official mine now, seller drove it to my in-laws.

Thinking about going south sooner, pretty anxious to check it out.

I'll keep y'all posted.

seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the route that I will be taking from SLC to Homer, AK

Map

I'll be heading north on I-15 from Salt Lake City, through Pocatello and Idaho Falls Idaho. Then Into Montana through Butte, Helena, and Great Fallls.

Into Alberta, Canada. Passing through Lethbridge, and Calgary then heading west at Edmonton.

I'll pick up the Alcan at Dawson Creek and from there it's on to the Yukon.

I've never been on the southern part of this route, always travelled from Washington or Oregon.

I'm looking forward to a long journey.

getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion:

Take hwy 20 north out of great falls through Targee National Forest. At West Yellowstone you can eiter drive through the park (hwy 89) and north through Paridise valley, it will blow your mind. CHico hot springs is a great place to stay the night. you can park just up the road and sok and shower for $5. THey also have great food and a very friendly staff.
Also you can take 191 North out of West Yellowstone and dirve throught the gallatin river canyon which is amazing. This route is a couple hours shorter, but both hit I90 and are just a quick jog up to Helena. on 287 and 12.
Just some suggestions for my part of your journey. You are also welcome to stop in Bozeman for a cold beer at my neighborhood brewery. and a parking spot for the night if needbe.

CHeers!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should consider getting our tube bumpers, and have them put on while you are here. You'll save a ton in shipping doing it this way, and they really transform the Syncro visually, and the 2" receiver is very functional.

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=exg0005

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=exg0006

I have a guy that will install them for around $100 in an afternoon if you like.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the route advice in Montana, not sure how much site seeing I am going to do but the interstate usually sucks.

John - I'll have to think about the bumbers, they look nice just not sure if they are in the budget. Although from what I've read I will be putting as much into this thing in the first year as I paid for it, maybe I should just get started. Laughing

seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting really excited now, I'll be seeing my Syncro in person for the first time on Wednesday, can't wait.
Hopefully I won't need to be doing a lot of work on it right away but I know where to come for advice if I do.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are actually developing a winch mount kit for the front bumpers, available in a couple months. This is easily put on new, or previously mounted tube bumpers from ACN.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would use this thread to do a running progress report on my yet unnamed van.

When I first started it up I noticed a strange noise coming from the engine compartment. Turns out that the bracket that holds the alternator to the block was busted, all that was holding it was the adjustment bracket. Got a new one at the junkyard but it turns out that the studs were busted off in the block. Had to fab a makeshift bracket that I attachted to the power steering pump bracket. Will have to watch that one close while on the road north.

The next little project was something that the PO did tell me about, a small coolant leak somewhere around the rear heater core. After doing some searches here I assumed it was most likely the core itself which it was. So I was going to order one but it turns out that my fan was only working on hight so I just got the whole unit from the syncro in the junkyard that I have been going to, it looked pretty decent.

So I finaly got to start driving it. First gear was tough to find so I adjusted the shifter base and now it is fine, I think that new shift base and rod components are in order at some point.

Now I need to find out why the idle is low at start-up and a couple of mystery wires but all-in-all I am very happy with my purchase.

I think that the tube bumbpers from aircooled.net will be going on today. Laughing

mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where you at now?
seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:
Where you at now?

Still in SLC will be here until just after the new year.

Anybody want a ride to the Last Frontier, I need some company. Very Happy

seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from the shakedown cruise to Moab and by gearshift lever broke off. DAPO forgot to tell me that it had been welded. Tried to find one in Moab and no luck, not even Tom at Tom Tom's VW Museum (check out the thread in the general chat forum) could help me. So some vice grips had to do. Didn't keep me from testing out the Syncro on some back roads.

Stopped by my favorite junk yard on the way back to SLC and picked one up while I was getting my exhaust and a few other odds and ends.

I leave for AK in 2 days!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: