Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

am i nuts to buy this syncro? (ZS Imports)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
david-peterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: am i nuts to buy this syncro? (ZS Imports) Reply with quote

Hi, I'm Dave. I'm new here and am about to take the plunge and buy this '90 Syncro GL: http://www.zsimports.com/morephotos.htm (scroll to the bottom to see the syncro pics).

There are a couple parts to this - in addition to the obvious one questioning my sanity.

First, do I want to buy any syncro? I'm not looking for a project. Just something to haul people and stuff and wander around the Sierras in the winter without having to bother with chains. My understanding is that if well maintained and gently driven these things are pretty reliable.

The maintainence I can probably figure out from folks here and a local mechanic. The "gently driven" piece is more open ended. I've had underpowered cars before and was fine with them - a 4cyl jeep is 3000lbs and 120hp. But these things are in a different league. How bad is it, really? I'm a patient person though - maybe its just time to learn to be more so.

Second, do I want to buy a syncro from this place? I searched around the forums here and couldn't find many references to Z&S Imports or [email protected] or anything in Pahrump. Seems kind of odd because it looks like they have a lot of stuff that might be interesting to y'all. I talked to folks at Volks... I mean VanCafe and J&R Vans in Reno and they thought the price was reasonable if it was in as good of shape as advertised.

But should I really be getting a 15 year old car from somebody based on some pictures on the internet and a few phone calls. Has anyone here had experience working with the people at Z&S Imports?

I've put down a deposit so I'm mostly committed - or should be commited - and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Any words or wisdom or humor are appreciated.

Thanks

Admin note:
Other names / emails
zsimports - [email protected]
ZS_Imports - [email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: am i nuts to buy this syncro? Reply with quote

just so you know what you are getting into, Syncros cost about 2X/mile what a 2wd Vanagon does. The cooling hoses are syncro specific (and big $, you can spend over $500 on cooling hoses for crying out loud), and the drivetrain costs can break you financially unless you are prepared. The one I have had the front CVs/Boots change, and front diff rebuilt just prior to my buying it, the bill was $4k. Then there's the $600-1000 driveshaft.....

it's very easy with a vanagon to spend the same amt as the purchase price (or more) fixing all the stuff wrong with them shortly after you get it; heater cores, fan motors, etc.

Just be careful.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rationalizing the purchase of a syncro is like explaining why you prefer a small batch micro-brew from an obscure ale house over budweiser. you either "get it," or you don't.

let's face it, syncros have a ton of negatives- they are slow, underpowered, moderately fuel-thirsty, and CAN be high maintenance money-pits.

BUT...

They are also a marvel of packaging and space efficiency, relatively comfortable, with the right tires, effective both on and off-road, and their relative rarity will set you apart from the jeep sheep.

Whether to purchase any syncro is a matter of personal choice- if you have a lead foot and can't stand the idea of being passed by blue-hairs in le sabres with chronic leftturnsignalitis, you will likely be disappointed. If, however , you're the type who can take pleasure in the journey, and get your kicks avoiding route 66, it might just be what you are looking for.

Take some time to read through the info at www.syncro.org you will find original contemporary test drives, tech info, general 'what to look out for' stuff, and upgrade info.

yeah, some Syncro parts are more expensive than Vanagon parts... BUT, cheaper by half than parts for my Land Rover Discovery, so the spendiness is relative to your frame of reference. And, because of the relative high cost of syncro/vanagon parts, a number of lower-cost grassroots/shadetree workarounds have been developed for things like coolant hoses and heater hoses for example.

If you are not looking for a project, take the vehicle to a competent mechanic nearby who has some syncro experience, or the local (wince) VW dealer, before handing over your hard earned cash, to make sure that you AREN'T buying a project.

Bottom line is, are you looking for a used minivan that handles well in the snow... or do you want a syncro? Some people like Bud, others... well, you get my point.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
yeah, some Syncro parts are more expensive than Vanagon parts... BUT, cheaper by half than parts for my Land Rover Discovery

Good to know, I cringe when I have to buy parts for my Disco.
I too am a soon to be Syncro owner.

Sean

'71 Squareback '71 Porsche 914 ‘80 Camper '87 Syncro Weekender 1.8T '87 Wolfsburg Weekender '97 Toyota Land Cruiser ‘03 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 ‘04 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T ‘05 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0
‘06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I had been dreaming about a syncro westi since my college days, when I couldn't afford one. I just bought one a few months ago and I can tell you that everything said above is true. Even the conflicting parts. I love my syncro and yes I did spend a few bucks fixing things. BUT... The first road trip I took I pulled over at the end of a long day of driving, popped the top, cooked some dinner, cracked a cold beer and stretched out on the bed. Priceless... and I haven't even been up to the mountians in the snow yet.

No question that the syncro westies are a strange mix of bauty and befuddlement, but I wouldn't trade mine for anything. (OK, maybe a sportsmobile, but at $80K I would have to live in it.)

Hope that helps. Welcome to the club (asylum?)
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to the the guy at F&S and he knows his stuff. That can be a good thing or a bad thing. I thought he seemed solid and honest and I will probably buy a South African Headlight and grill set from him. Far less risky than your purchase, let us know how it turns out. I'm willing to bet it is a rightous Syncro and priced fair to high side of it. Its hard to find a clean rig with a working diff lock. I would love to own it.
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing will "drive around the Sierras without chains" like a champ going uphill...it is like a mountain goat.

But....it is a tall, broadsided vehicle, jacked up for the 4wd, so on level snowy roads or with any wind it can be tricky.

I really enjoyed it for messing around in the snow, but hated it for highway snow travel. It had a mind of it's own at about 50 mph.

I drove mine for 80,000 miles without any major expense, but more than average $200-$400 issues mostly engine related. The tranny and syncro were completely trouble free.

Good luck. They are neat cars.
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
ZSI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mr Peterson,

Best thing for you to do is come here and see for yourself. You are right! Why rely on some pictures (they might be fake). And some phone calls.... It might not be us at all.... It seems that so many people spend their days trying to make us look like some kind of fraud. We have never hid our identities or hide where we have our shop. All are welcome to come and see... and we keep saying this, and they keep saying that we hide, and are just taking peoples money. It is nice to keep saying slander things when the other party is not there to say anything. alot of things are made up. So if you come here and see for yourself. You will see that we do in fact have all this VW stuff. and we want to get rid of it to whomever wants to add it to their own inventory. We are at 2881 W. Blosser Ranch Rd. Pahrump, NV 89060 our number is 775-537-0576 we do not hide. and will never hide. Our new 1.9 TD engines are real, so real.... that if I cherry pick it, and drop it on your foot, you would know..... lol... have a great day.... and don't be hesitant....come here, and we will show you the inventory.....

Last edited by ZSI on Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=264361
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david-peterson, are you known by any other names?
I smell a conspiracy
but I may be wrong...
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Z + S imports Reply with quote

I personally would do a serious read on The Forums regarding this guy. Before giving this guy a cent, You will realize what most people who have dealt with him do. Once he has your money you will be treated like yesterday's rubbish.
My first dealings with for were great. My second and third were awful. He comes off great at first ,but then most Con men do.
Like Vic says ,go there and look at it first because after that all bets are off.
If you do deal with him,I would love to hear about it,this guy needs all the good press he can get.

Stacy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perales wrote:
david-peterson, are you known by any other names?
I smell a conspiracy
but I may be wrong...

"One may smile and smile, and be a villain."

http://gnarlodious.com/Vanagon/WARNING_-_Z%26S_Imports
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
ZSI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Vic says ,go there and look at it first because after that all bets are off?
No bets are off. What the h*** are you talking about? I am not Vic.... and no bets are off. I only said that so people would come here and see, and judge themselves on what we have. Things do go wrong you know....not all is perfect. whining does not help. If you want something from us, then speak up.... and stop instigating. If you want money.... tell us... if you want a new part for free, tell us... if you want everything for free, do tell us... We made mistakes in the past, and will not make them again. We will be here for the long haul, and we do have all this stuff. We do not pay $3000 in rent to store all these goodies to rip people off. Vic does not have time to be on here, But I am, and I will say what I think no matter what. We are not scammers, and ubidzmall.com did not get suspended because of fraud. We just stopped paying to keep it because all bidders wanted items for nothing. So it did not work out. And that is it. So, if you want something, speak up.... take care, and have a nice day.....

All this is said, not to be sarcastic, but to tell the truth. nothing more....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Z + S Reply with quote

You can contact me through this Forum with PM. I have tried to contact you numerous times with regards to my order and have had no replies. Either by mail, phone or E mail.
I would welcome your reply and will share any good outcome with the list. I will not bother calling you or e mailing you as they always go unanswered .
You have made the offer so now follow up on it.

Stacy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crughy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do people bother???

ZS answers to a conversation from late 2005... I guess that's where they are in keeping up with their customers...

So if you've been screwed in 2006, you should hear from them soon...

Talk about being dumb!

JP
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crughy wrote:

ZS answers to a conversation from late 2005..
JP

Woah!! ... whiplash... I didn't check the date!
I am such a fool to get sucked in like that!
I'm outa here!
ZSI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we are dumb then....and Stacy, I rather be public with this because... things always get twisted... We don't want to hide a thing....
ZSI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will also be a forum place on our site. All complaints will be handled....So if any more people have a problem, please bring it to our attention at our personal forum. Thanks
david-peterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that anyone found this thread from over two years ago, but for what its worth, here's the story:

I did buy the Syncro from Vic and still have it. I flew to Vegas and he picked me up at the airport in the van and then I drove the it back to his shop in Pahrump. The airport pickup was nice.

As can be seen by the original question I had no idea what I was getting into getting an almost 20-year old vanagon and didn't know what to look out for. It drove okay from the airport, I looked around inside and underneath and it all seemed fine. Money changed hands and I went on my way.

The drive back to the Bay Area had a few rough spots - for some reason at higher altitudes when nearly coasting (foot just barely on the throttle) it wants to buck. Sometimes really bad. Scared the crap out of me and I figured I had just been had. I called Vic and the response was more-or-less "huh? never did that before" which only reinforced my thinking. But by this time I was half way home.

After "learning" not to drive with the throttle in that exact spot when going down hill I was fine. Got home and scheduled an inspection with the guys at the BusLab. They said the timing was way off and set that and did a full tune up (plugs, wires, filters, etc.) and compression test. They were also curious about the Vic experience but agreed that the van was in good shape all in all.

There was a small oil leak they noticed and we agreed to put it into the "fix later" bucket. About a week before Christmas it got much worse and we were planning on driving the van to Phoenix. The guys at the BusLab couldn't get me in but a shop in San Raphael (don't remember their name) squeezed me in - turns out a pushrod was bent and had worn through the sleeve. This may have been a pre-existing condition or could have been my driving. I never "red-lined" the thing, but did drive for many miles at close to 4k RPMs (a lot in 3rd going up hills). But anyways - maybe it was just used car karma. They fixed it up and we made the trip to Phoenix and back mostly fine - still the weird bucking thing, but not as often.

That's it for the purchase experience. I don't think I got ripped off, though I probably overpaid for the van. Hard to say - compared to GoWesty it was a steal, compared to stuff listed here probably on the high side of average. But I was a newbie and didn't know better or what aspects to negotiate on.

I don't think Vic intentionally sold me broken car. He's got kind of a larger-than-life personality. Lots of good natured stories and not afraid of expressing himself and certainly not apologetic about it. So I can see how he would rub some people the wrong way.

As for the post-purchase - well, I still have the van. The exhaust is rusty as hell and pissing off the neighbors. BusLab says the headers are rusted in place and will be a bear to drill out and retap the bolts. I'm thinking that's money better spent on Subaru conversion. In the meantime though I'm letting it rust more.

I put on a set of those Projekt Zwo (whatever) foglights and a set of Rhein 15" wheels with Michelin tires - the folks at Van Cafe are great. The thing is even more gutless than you can imagine, but it tools around deep snow in the Sierras like nobody's business.

We've hauled around lots of people. Loaded lots of crap in and on it. And its been pretty fun all in all.

So, there you have it. I'd buy stuff from Vic/ZS again, but might go into it better informed than last time around.
ZSI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot for your feedback. I am sorry all that happened. But now that you posted, people will probably say that it is us speaking under yet another name. So thanks you anyways, it is nice to hear that we are not scamming everyone.

Cheers:)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: