Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Calling all Weber experts......Help!
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Calling all Weber experts......Help! Reply with quote

I've got a pair of 48 idf's on a fresh 1905, mechanical fuel pump. It runs great but leaks fuel down the #3 barrel (other carb is fine). It seems like it siphons fuel through the accelerator pump. This only happens after its shut down. There is a gurgling sound followed by a stream of fuel out of the nozzle, then more gurgling, more fuel.
I've rebuilt it twice ( soaked in cleaner, compressed air, fresh parts, correct float setting). I even sealed the pressed in plugs in the carb body. The problem continues. Anyone heard of this? Confused
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your float levels set to?

Does your engine run hot? Does your engine compartment get enough cooling air?

Sound like to me the float level could be too high, and maybe your engine is conducting a lot of heat and causing the float bowl pressure to rise as the fuel is heated. Do your float bowls feel warm to the touch?

Needle and seat could be dirty too.

Fuel pump could be getting hot too when it sits there with fuel in it, maybe it's forcing fuel through too. You could test that by disconnecting the fuel line from the pump right after turning it off (in a well ventilated area of course), and see if the carb symptom stops. If it doesn't you know the fuel pump is not the contributor. If it is the fuel pump it may gurgle and spew some fuel.

Last edited by mharney on Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Float set to 11. Fresh needle/seat ( 3rd set). Engine is pretty cool. No decklid on bus yet. Problem will happen even after 1 trip around the block.
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the fuel pressure?
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't checked the pressure yet. May have to invest in a guage. I figured a stock mechanical pump wouldn't make excessive pressure. Also the leak is in 1 barrel only. Shouldn't there be problems elsewhere with high pressure?
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, maybe not. One needle and seat is going to be slightly more prone to leaking before the other one.. and one accelerator pump may be more prone to pass fuel than the other.. Weakest link theory I guess.

From the gurgling, the only thing I can think is pressure.
rterfert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swap the carbs to the other side of the motor and see if the problem contiues or switches sides??
Sounds like a high presure problem though.
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try swapping them. I'll get a guage also. What should the fuel pressure be? If it's too high, who makes a regulator? Where in the fuel lines does it go?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm dying to get some miles on this motor before the snow flys.
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gauge should read about 3.0-3.5 psi

Regulator right before carbs.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you do NOT use a regulator with a stock pump. You raise the pump to drop the pressure. This is a common problem, because many aftermarket pump spacers are TOO SHORT, which kicks the pressure to the moon. I have seen over 10psi from a stock pump. You must check it and set it to 3-3.5psi if you want to tune the webers.

Fuel pressure is even more critical with Solex/Kadrons, which operate best at 1.5-2psi.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turin39789
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
you do NOT use a regulator with a stock pump. You raise the pump to drop the pressure. This is a common problem, because many aftermarket pump spacers are TOO SHORT, which kicks the pressure to the moon. I have seen over 10psi from a stock pump. You must check it and set it to 3-3.5psi if you want to tune the webers.

Fuel pressure is even more critical with Solex/Kadrons, which operate best at 1.5-2psi.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

what should be used to raise the pump in case of high pressure and where can they be gotten?
clearsurf2001
Samba Vaccinator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel pump base gaskets ... from John.
mharney wrote:

I think Glenn has an EMPI crank in his engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: