Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Power Generator FAQ
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Power Generator FAQ Reply with quote

Ive searched but haven't found a thread yet pertaining to a power generator, only the engine generator. Just wanted to see what other members may be using in the way of a power generator. Need something that is easy to store and is dependable. Storage hints?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't find may threads on generators cause very few people have one, kind of overkill. I think the nicest ones for a Westy would be a Honda generator, but they are kind of pricey.
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/gensup.asp
rsorak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lust after the 2000 Watt Honda and will have one some day!
kokopelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy just got a generator from Pep Boys. It is extremely tiny, puts out 1200W peak 1000W constant, and only puts out 65db of noise. It cost him less than $200. If anyone is interested I can find out the rest of the details.
1974 Standard pass "The Grinch"
1977 Westy now hightop "Kokopelli"
1977 Laser917 (66 Bug)
1978 Standard pass "Weath"

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."---Benjiman Franklin

www.protostellarjet.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is it youre trying to power? keep in mind many sites supply 110V hookups on request.
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't plan on running much at all. It's basically just if i needed for a small tv or something whilecamping off of a campsite or tailgating.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant imagine the expense being worth the convenience of a TV. If you must watch a television, you should do an alternator conversion if you have an early bay, or if you have the type IV engine skip step 1, and buy a modest power inverter. I personally dont see the point in watching TV while camping, I can do that at home. I cant go kayaking or rockclimbing at home though.

Sorry, couldnt resist. An inverter should fit your needs for less coin.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a second battery. You pay a bit more but you make sure the small tv/dvd combo or just TV you buy is AC/DC.
i_want_a_pre_49_ratbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a small inverter will be great i make do with a 750 watt model but 1000 to 1500 watt will be able to run most things you would carry with you. i run a 600 watt microwave on mine but id recomend a bigger one but i paid $25 for mine new & that is the normal cost for a 250 to 450 watt model & check your tv they might power it but if you plan to use it for anything else you will want the extra wattage. ill run my drill & grinder of mine as well as drop lights & occasionally a crock pot on trips but i try to be carefull not to overload it & if overloaded only for a min or two like with microwave on it is recomended that you have 200 or so watts above the microwave so i should have at least an 800 watt inverter & if im running a 40 watt bulb while microwave is running im overloading but mine wil carry a 1500 watt load intermitantely for 5 min. so i try to be careful so i dont burn it up.
Randy
JT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for a company that builds and sells power generators. They are sold at Nothern Tool and Equipment.Used to be known as Nothern Hydraulics. Ours are Honda powered. A couple have diesel motors.Check them out. They are a bit spendy but the quality is worth it. The brand is North Star.Trust me, they are a lot better than the DeWalt ones. JT
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:
You need a second battery. You pay a bit more but you make sure the small tv/dvd combo or just TV you buy is AC/DC.

oh yeah, yes another battery and an isolator will greatly increase your reserve capacity, a bonus if youre going to watch a movie with your engine off. Laughing
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT wrote:
I work for a company that builds and sells power generators. They are sold at Nothern Tool and Equipment.Used to be known as Nothern Hydraulics. Ours are Honda powered. A couple have diesel motors.Check them out. They are a bit spendy but the quality is worth it. The brand is North Star.Trust me, they are a lot better than the DeWalt ones. JT

What are you powering them with, Kubotas, Lister/Petters, Hatz? What do they weigh in at?
volkswitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought a cheap chinese generator from a friend after the hurricaine disrupted out power. it is 1000 watts 2stroke little thing. it is very light and puts outenough for a tv or computer and fans. i will be using the heck out of it next summer when camping! my little girl can endure anything except the loss of television.

68 hardtop westy
71 westy project in slow motion
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After checking out the pricing on some of the smaller generators, I think you're right about cost effectiveness. It's really not worth that. I'll opt for an inverter and maybe a second battery since there is room in the engine compartment. Thanks for all your input.
i_want_a_pre_49_ratbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

put an isolator on the second battery so you wont accidentally kill your main battery & if you buy as much inverter as you can afford... i hunted ebay for 1 that was worded bad so it didnt get many hits & it was a 20 dollar bid & i won & paid 5 for shipping but it took me 6 months to find a cheap bad listing.. if i had bought it in a store it would have cost $100 for a 750 watt model & i didnt want to take a chance buying a used 1 so i looked only for unopened... & be careful people can have a "new" inverter they hooked up backwards & blew & it will look new.. no scratches & they can say took out of box to look at.. you never know & it could be as simple as replacing the fuses..... i accidentaly did hook mine backwards 1 time. blew my internal fuses. took long time to find the fuses it took 35amp plug in automotive fuses. in auto stores i found up to 30 in electronic stores i found to 30 & 40's but no 35amp finally did find them at a guy that sell bulk electronics mainly imported junk but sells a variety too. anyway i was lucky to only have blown the fuses. it could have fried it permanetly... always look when you are hooking it up... i hooked it up to a friends battery to run a couple lights. he had red ground wire black hot wire...... so always look at battery..........
Randy
JT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our diesel powered units are run with Yanmar engines. I never heard of them either.Our smallest units are light enough to pick up by yourself. The larger ones you will need help. All the others are Honda or Kohler powered. JT
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a cheap note, my friend in Alaska uses an old lawn mower engine to drive a car altenator for portable power. This gave 12vdc and an inverter on it gave 120vac
Refrigerama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Juice Reply with quote

What i have seen down here is a second battery wired to a boom boom capicator and then to a inverter 1500watts. One wire off the alt. to charge the battery when travling. I went to a local show Los tubos and i saw and talked to the guy who did the work himself. It had one small refrigerator and some other suff i do not remember well. But he told me that it was good for ten hours and then run the motor for thirty min. new charge.
Good luck
flaquito1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: generator/alternate power sources Reply with quote

In my 1969 hi-top I have three batteries. The twin main and auxillary batteries in the engine room, and another in the cabin in a marine case that is solar charged by a 15 watt solar panel. More power than I'll ever need. Of course I have an alternator powering the main/aux and the aux handles my stereo/CD and both main and subwoofer amps. Solar battery handles a 400 watt inverter that runs my TV, and charges my cell phone and shaver. You see, I live in the high desert northeast of LA and work at LAX so I camp out three to four days a week as my drive is almost 100 miles and my bus sleeps just like my bed at home! Mine is a necessity. Has been a blessing for me.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 years. That is approximately how long ago this thread was created.

I was 11 when this thread was made.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: