Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stray Catalyst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

I recently swapped for a 74 std beetle that has been lowered - and the PO cut some corners, so I'm looking for advice on how to fix the problems. It has lowered spindles in the front and the rear is lowered via adjustment, IIRC. I'm not using this car as a daily driver, so I'm okay with hard suspension and the like if the alternative is lots of money.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Notice how close the front tires are to the fenders? Using the brakes brings the tires into contact with the fenders - is the simplest solution to get smaller tires (either diameter or width) or should I flare the fenders a bit for clearance? For time and money reasons, I'd rather not get a narrowed beam if it doesn't already have one. If different tires are the answer, I'd love to get a size that can fit onto these rims.

This car handles like a go cart. The small steering wheel (PO was too big to fit behind a stock wheel) is remarkably sensitive, much more so than I'm used to from previous (stock) bugs. The ride is firm - not comfortable, but more like a race car. It does corner well, not counting the front wheel dragging on the fender and acting like one brake. Is this harder ride an inevitable consequence of the ride height, or should I be looking for shorter Opel GT shocks, as mentioned earlier in this thread?
1969 Westy, mostly stock, the Road Trip bus.
peters3103
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

I had a similar issue with my 68 after fitting drop spindles. Rubbing both side cornering and braking even driving solo with a near empty fuel tank. I was running stock 5” wheels with 165R15 tyres. Swapped to 145R15’s and now no issue at all even with passengers and a full tank. It’s the only option short of a narrowed beam.
Cheers
Pete

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

peters3103 wrote:
Swapped to 145R15’s and now no issue at all even with passengers and a full tank. It’s the only option short of a narrowed beam.

Agreed, this is probably your cheapest option to avoid rubbing. You could roll the fender lip to try and get some clearance, but with 165s it will likely still rub on hard turns or hard braking. On my beetle the rubbing point was well inside the lip. The friction caused the paint to bubble/peel.
The 145s are both skinnier and smaller diameter.

Stray Catalyst wrote:
The small steering wheel (PO was too big to fit behind a stock wheel) is remarkably sensitive, much more so than I'm used to from previous (stock) bugs.

The smaller steering wheel means less motion to get the same turn angle, but this could also be due to a change in caster.

Caster is the adjustment in the angle of the top and bottom pivot points for the front wheels. You want the top pivot point slightly behind (more rearward than) the lower pivot point. This provides steering self-centering and a resistance to turning away from center. When the front end of the car is lowered more than the rear is lowered you decrease the caster angle and make the front want to turn more easily. The correct caster angle is very small (IRRC, less than 1deg).
The fix is to add caster shims between the front beam head and the lower beam tube. This pushes the lower pivot point forward restoring the caster angle.
Check if you have a pair of crescent shaped shims like the one pictured below installed behind your beam:

If your car ride height is not noticeably "raked" you probably don't need caster shims and it just means you need to get your front end aligned.

Stray Catalyst wrote:
Is this harder ride an inevitable consequence of the ride height, or should I be looking for shorter Opel GT shocks, as mentioned earlier in this thread?

With a stock width front beam and lowered spindles your ride should be the same as stock.
Check your shocks. What make/model do you have installed?
It is common to install "performance shocks" in a attempt to make the car handle better. These are gas or gas/oil units and make for a very stiff front end. The Beetle front is much lighter than most small cars since the weight is biased to the rear making it even lighter. This means shocks that would provide a slightly firmer ride for most cars will result in a very stiff ride for a Beetle. It sounds like you want stock oil filled shocks.

Since you have dropped spindles you don't need Opel shocks. The benefit of dropped spindles are you maintain the stock suspension, including stock length shocks. Opel shocks are only needed when you have an adjustable front end and have lowered to the point where the stock length shocks will "bottom out".

The other thing to look at is the clearance between your lower ball joint and the ID of your wheels. Dropped spindles are notorious for causing the lower ball joint to rub the inside of non-stock wheels. It is usually not a problem for stock steel wheels, but alloy wheels are thicker and have a smaller ID. This pic show how little clearance there can be between the ball joint and the wheel when running dropped spindles:

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Stray Catalyst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

It's lowered 2.5 inches front and rear, if the PO is to be believed. It doesn't have the shims, but it looks level, the rear tires aren't rubbing. I'll get a front end alignment after I get the 145R15's.

In front, the tires are wide enough that they rub on the lip itself, leaving a sticky black mess. At least it's easy to reach for cleanup.
1969 Westy, mostly stock, the Road Trip bus.
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

I have a question.i have a 1968 beetle.i am using a 4" narrowed German beam with shock towers dropped disc brake spindles.i don't plan on driving the car slammed.now I read a article a few pages back about lowered ball joints not really being what they truely are and instead run STOCK German ball joints.is this true?thanks

Oh and rear is lowered a notch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

You only need “lowered ball joints” when slamming a Beetle extreme. Beam to the pavement.

Lowered balljoints allow for more moment as the slots in the balljoint are longer.

You’ll be fine with stock ball joints.

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

Actually, if all you're using is dropped spindles, your geometry is the same as stock. You can use the stock ball joints. You only need "lowered ball joints" when you beam adjusters and have it dropped all the way.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

now since i have the 4"narrowed beam and dropped spindles will i need to run caster shims and the special camber adjuster or do i use the stock camber adjuster?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

True caster will depend on the final stance of the car. Front and rear.

Simply, If it’s raked out you will need a set of caster shims.

You will not need the “special camber adjusters”. Use the stock eccentrics.

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

awesome..thank you for your help
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

walter kandetzki wrote:
I have a question.i have a 1968 beetle.i am using a 4" narrowed German beam with shock towers dropped disc brake spindles.i don't plan on driving the car slammed.now I read a article a few pages back about lowered ball joints not really being what they truely are and instead run STOCK German ball joints.is this true?

The easiest way to think of dropped spindles and how they lower the front....
imagine you take a stock ball joint Beetle and you take a hacksaw to the front spindles. You cut the spindle shafts off the knuckle assembly and then weld them back on 2" further up on the knuckle. You have not changed anything else in the front suspension except where the wheels attach to the suspension. Since the wheels now sit up higher the result is the body drops lower. The shocks and all other suspension pieces have not moved at all so there is no change to the shocks and their range of motion or the ride.

This is different than when you install an adjustable front beam. These DO change the geometry of the front suspension. When using beam adjusters, imagine throwing 200lbs of cement bags into your trunk. The front suspension is compressed by the weight and the front of the body rides lower all the time. If you are running stock shocks they will bottom out when you hit bumps. This is because instead of the suspension resting around the midway point (50%/50%) between full compression and full extension the new "cement bag" compressed ride height has you sitting at a height where you have only 20% compression and 80% expansion.
The shocks will be the first thing that bottoms out. Then if you install shorter Opel shocks you will reach the point where the ball joints have reached their max rotation. To get any lower you will need "lowered ball joints" that give you a few more degrees of rotation.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
scottie_b205
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

I have read whole thread and a number of others. I am looking for what brand of clearanced ball joints people are using and coming up empty. I see the empi brand and ones from Lastest Rage. I would like to know the brand you used and your experience/recommendation.
Thanks, Scott
sprbxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

What is everyone using for front sway bars? I have a lowered sway bay but it still hits the ground. Car is not slammed.

1959 Panel
1967 Vert
1959 Semaphore Ragtop
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

74 standard

2 splines(I think) in the rear with 195 65 15's
adjustable 4.5 beam with dropped spindles and 135's

Gonna have to raise it to drive it anywhere but for looking pretty, its fine like this lol.

dvancleve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

Howdy folks.

This topic is WAY too long to read all of it, but I think I know what I want to do with my '68 based on what I did read. It currently has a 4" narrowed beam with adjusters, drop spindles, drum brakes, single castor shims and 135SR15 tires on stock wheels. I bought it this way, it looks cool but from my perspective has some issues. It looks to me like it is adjusted almost as high as it can go, maybe one notch higher on the Avis style adjusters. It steers great, the tires rub a bit on the insides but not outside. It scrapes the beam regularly, I usually can't get into my driveway without scraping. It rides like a dump truck. The 135s look cool, but they are about the size of fat bicycle tires and don't inspire a ton of confidence...

I plan to stay pretty low, but I need to be able to go (slowly) over speed bumps and get into my driveway. I think 145SR15 tires would be my preference (not interested in low profiles) but I'm not sure how well they would fit. I think a 2" narrowed beam would eliminate the inside rubbing and give a better ride, not ever going to put discs on it. I think the beam I have was set up for no drop spindles, I would get the new one so it could adjust up or down with drop spindles. Does this sound about right?

Thanks, Doug
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

1966, stock beam and drop spindles. 185/60r15s on EMPI GT-5s (15x5.5, 3.75" backspace). Haven't driven much, but doesn't seem to rub anywhere.

Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

lol front 4" narrowed beam. Drop spindles, 3/4" pie cut in the front. Air shocks. Thru-rods replace the torsion bars. Rear pans flattened, converted to IRS (1968), air bags, torsion bars removed.

iadubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:
lol front 4" narrowed beam. Drop spindles, 3/4" pie cut in the front. Air shocks. Thru-rods replace the torsion bars. Rear pans flattened, converted to IRS (1968), air bags, torsion bars removed.

Is the rear custom trailing arms? I cannot see any way to get my IRS this low in the back without a hub raise. I don't have enough fab experience to do that on my own. Just seeing what you did to get it to lay out back there.
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

This is the rear before I made shock mounts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH9wrmbTPxM

The stock upper shock mount was cut off. Instead of notching the spring plates I cut away the part they stop against.

Also forgot to mention that I flipped the trailing arms as well to help reduce camber.

Since I've flattened the floor I can driver lower in the back, but my CV joints click like crazy. So soon I need to install Thing axles as they have 15 degrees more travel.

If I did it all over again I would do a 2" tranny lift. A few of my oil drain plate nuts now have scrape marks.
iadubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

[quote="Chris333

Since I've flattened the floor I can driver lower in the back, but my CV joints click like crazy. So soon I need to install Thing axles as they have 15 degrees more travel.

If I did it all over again I would do a 2" tranny lift. A few of my oil drain plate nuts now have scrape marks.[/quote]

Do you have any rear shocks then? Or just moved the mount? I can get a little more lower on mine if I lop off the bump stop mount but then I'm limited by the shock length. I don't know what's involved in an IRS tranny lift.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 45 of 47

Jump to: