Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Your picture concerns me a bit Ashman40.

Not his picture. Just an example. But your concerns are useful information just as well.
Have a great day.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

must be a drag chassie.....or possiably nascar where it only turns left... Wink Rolling Eyes
loser67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

I would like to keep the drums and the wide 5 wheels. is there a drop spindle that will work for my 67? Having a hard time finding one.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

loser67 wrote:
I would like to keep the drums and the wide 5 wheels. is there a drop spindle that will work for my 67? Having a hard time finding one.

https://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=4063
This. Make sure to call them and ask if about your bearings will work with the 2.5" drop spindle.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

The stock bearings WILL NOT fit on the CB dropped drum spindles.

Read the very bottom of the CB link page... Its just worded a little funny. They also provide part numbers.

These are the exact drop spindles I use on my 66. They are great.

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
tietz68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

I know this question has probably been answered a hundred times but I just ordered some 145r15's for my 68. I have a four inch narrowed adj. beam with drop spindles. I was recently was looking around and saw some 145SR15's. Are these tires different sizes if so will they still work? Btw I'm rolling on stock beetle wheels. Thanks guys.
tietz68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

145's on the front 165's on the back. Four inch narrowed German beam with adjusters.
jaked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

2 inch drop spindle. yes, 2 inch. is there such? anyway, do these sets result to a 1/4inch offset on the tire? does anyone has this set up. i'll be using stock 165x80x15 tires on a 1973 gtbeetle. please help.

Lpec900
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

I just installed my 2" narrowed adjustable beam and I am running 2.5" drop spindles also. And I have a question.
Am I suppose to have full range of adjustment up and down in the adjuster with the spindle in? Cause currently with the spindle in all I have is where the grub screw is in the pic all the way down. And when the spindle isn't in I can move the adjusters all the way up and down. My next question is where should the adjuster be before I install the spindle? and if anyone has pics they can share of a build would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Gwarballs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

Ok so I've gone through this thread, and kinda just looking for specifics.
I have a 68, on stock wheels, drop spindles, and have some rubbing issues with 175 65 15. I'm looking, to throw a 165 65 15 up front, and different wheels, can anyone reccommend a wheel offset to account for the slight difference in track width from the drop spindles... I've seen a few posts that say et20 should be good, but just looking for other opinions.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

You'll need to provide more details. You mentioned adding dropped spindles but are they for disc front brakes or stock drums? The disc spindles will push the wheels out. I believe the dropped drum spindles don't add any track width.

What wheels do you plan to buy? What width are you planning on? There aren't that many in the 4x130 bolt pattern which means your offset options will be limited. Unless you plan to go with custom built wheels, or non VW PCDs?

Stock wheels were 4.0" or 4.5" wide (measured from the bead seating surfaces). Aftermarket and a few specialty model stock style wheels came in 5.5" widths. 165 tires will fit nicely on 4.5" wide wheels.

I found this on the Shoptalk Forums site which describes the wheel sizes and offsets for stock wheels:
Quote:
4x130 Beetle rims from `68 through Feb`72 were 4Jx15, ET40; from then through July of `73 they were 4½Jx15, ET34. August `73-up were 4½Jx15 ET41.

The "sport" rims (steel with 4 "spokes" in the center, similar to 914/4 rims) were 4½" ET34 or 5½" ET26 through July `73; later ones were 4½" ET41 or 5½" ET34.

`Ghias and Type III/IV had 4x130 4½" rims which were all ET46 (for better fender clearance). Those'll fit a Bug too.

Ideally, you want to find someone with the same combination of wheels, tires and dropped spindles to confirm they fit. I know 165/80-15s will rub on stock 4.5" wheels when mounted on dropped disc spindles. Your 165/65s will be shorter so may clear as long as you use the same width/offset as stock. You will have a small problem with the speedo not reading correctly since your tire circumference will be smaller than stock. This means your speedo will read faster than you are actually moving.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
heyman3000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

Gwarballs wrote:
Ok so I've gone through this thread, and kinda just looking for specifics.
I have a 68, on stock wheels, drop spindles, and have some rubbing issues with 175 65 15. I'm looking, to throw a 165 65 15 up front, and different wheels, can anyone reccommend a wheel offset to account for the slight difference in track width from the drop spindles... I've seen a few posts that say et20 should be good, but just looking for other opinions.

175\65\15 tires are tall\wide for dropped spindles...You want more of a 155 or 165\55 or 60 \15
Your spindles pushed your wheels out about 1\4" each side...Your rims are 4.5" which is great if you are keeping...I'd try a 165\60\15 tire... and think about a 2" narrowed beam or if you want wider rims , say 5.5" rims a 4" beam...Your stock beam can go 2" with adjusters narrowed and keep shocks or 4" and loose shocks...Or after market beam 4" with shocks...There's so much that's not out there to read that's useful...Everyone has a way...Was glad to see movement here...Please post your thoughts and ideas...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gwarballs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
You'll need to provide more details. You mentioned adding dropped spindles but are they for disc front brakes or stock drums? The disc spindles will push the wheels out. I believe the dropped drum spindles don't add any track width.

What wheels do you plan to buy? What width are you planning on? There aren't that many in the 4x130 bolt pattern which means your offset options will be limited. Unless you plan to go with custom built wheels, or non VW PCDs?

Stock wheels were 4.0" or 4.5" wide (measured from the bead seating surfaces). Aftermarket and a few specialty model stock style wheels came in 5.5" widths. 165 tires will fit nicely on 4.5" wide wheels.

I found this on the Shoptalk Forums site which describes the wheel sizes and offsets for stock wheels:
Quote:
4x130 Beetle rims from `68 through Feb`72 were 4Jx15, ET40; from then through July of `73 they were 4½Jx15, ET34. August `73-up were 4½Jx15 ET41.

The "sport" rims (steel with 4 "spokes" in the center, similar to 914/4 rims) were 4½" ET34 or 5½" ET26 through July `73; later ones were 4½" ET41 or 5½" ET34.

`Ghias and Type III/IV had 4x130 4½" rims which were all ET46 (for better fender clearance). Those'll fit a Bug too.

Ideally, you want to find someone with the same combination of wheels, tires and dropped spindles to confirm they fit. I know 165/80-15s will rub on stock 4.5" wheels when mounted on dropped disc spindles. Your 165/65s will be shorter so may clear as long as you use the same width/offset as stock. You will have a small problem with the speedo not reading correctly since your tire circumference will be smaller than stock. This means your speedo will read faster than you are actually moving.

Drum spindles,
not sure on the wheels, but I'll probably try to run a staggered set up, 4" in the front, 5.5 in the back.
And my speedo is off anyways with the 175s 65 15s. I'm gonna try some things today. Narrower tire with a little more offset, stiffer suspension, And see how it goes.
Thanks for the info
Gwarballs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

Update, went with 155 65 15 up front and no run, unless fully loaded and hard full turn, which I can probably eliminate with stiffer shock absorbers.

Recap: Drop drum spindles, stock beam, 4.5 stock wheels et34

TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

Glenn nice setup, but do you have a guide to figure out how much lower you need to set the avis to lower it 2 inches? I want the same setup. Are you lowering the rear as well? Do you have a guide for that?
peters3103
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have just bought a 68 Australian delivered Beetle with factory disc brakes and stock front wheels with 165/80R15 tyres. I want to lower the front and plan to fit 2 1/2" drop spindles and change to a 155/65R15 tyre to compensate for the 1/4" "pushout" caused by the new spindles, as Gwarballs has done on the blue 68. That is the stance I'm after and already have 5 1/2" rear wheels with 205 tyres. Should this be enough for tyre clearance up front or will I need to go with a different rim offset (possibly late 4 stud Type 3?)
Also any suggestions on brands/suppliers for the drop spindles and new ball joints?

Cheers
Pete
toomanytoyz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

This may be a rookie question, but are the ball joints under tension? On a normal coil spring car, when breaking down the balljoint, you have to be careful that the spring doesn't come out and kill you... By keeping a jack under the lower control arm or using a spring compressor or something. Is that the case with these, too? Or is the tension not that high?

I guess my real question is, can I just remove the nuts on the balljoints and hit em with the separator? Or do I have to keep a jack under it or something?

I'll be installing some bugeyed.net 2.5" drop drum spindles soon and want to be prepared.

Thanks!

Looking to lower it, find a cheap interior, and make safe and roadworthy for the family, and rock it daily this summer...
evillrdnikon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

alright! So I just got my bug back! I will be starting my build thread and back filling with my photos from start to present to finish.

My question stems from my tire that i caught rubbing on the driver side lip of the fender while i was pushing it.

the body is not tightened down all the way yet as I am awaiting on hardware and my fenders do no have the beading in yet and also are not tightened down all the way, but they are mostly screwed in.

Any suggestions on tire size for the fronts? I was thinking 165 being the smallest i would want to go as I want to have some form of grip up front.

Current setup
2" narrowed beam which i hope is fully extended to the top height
2.5" drop spindles
empi disc brakes all around
adjustable spring plates, but lowered with the rotation of 1 spline (equivalent to 1.1" lowered in the rear)

Front
15x4.5J
4x130
185/60

Rear
15x4.5j
4x130
205/60
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

I'm currently rebuilding the front end on my Bug, keeping it stock beam and drum brakes. It has the GT-5 wheels from Empi on it, I believe it's a 4" backspace, and 185/65r15 tires. If I just do drop spindles, do we all think they will rub?

My ultimate goal is having 155/80r15s on the front, and 205/60r15s on the rear, I assume the 155s won't be an issue, just not wanting to spend that much yet. Thanks for the info!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Ball Joint" lowering topic Reply with quote

tons of great info here! took me 2 days to get through it all but i can say i have a much better idea of what and how, thank to everyone who contributed in this thread.

1 question, that was asked a few times with no response, Does anyone have a link to the drill bit/counter sink bit that people are using to re drill the leg dimples after shortening them?

not sure what to use to do this, I am going to take my own narrowed and adjustable beam and thats the only thing I am unsure of what to do.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 44 of 47

Jump to: