Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Just a few catchwords...

- these strut housings seem to be adjustable (currently set quite low)
- special strut shock inserts are required
- stock springs are unsuitable for this set up IMHO
- the shock inserts are very likely shot
- a strut bumper is missing (and it don't seems like the shock inserts have one built in)
- the brake line routing is scary (to say the least). It seems the hoses rub on the body! Shocked

Example for adjustable strut housings:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Example for shock bumper:
plastikman187
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Thanks Maddel!

The brake lines are not rubbing, the erosion you see there is from the old brake lines leaking fluid, but I will for sure do more inspection.

So, looking at this setup, I should probably look at the following

0: Verify that the brake lines are not fubar.
1: New springs preferably lowered. Something like this? http://toplineparts.com/lower-your/sport-springs-pair.html or http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C29-1387
2: New strut inserts (lowered).
3: Bump stops. Something like this? http://toplineparts.com/lower-your/bump-stops-for-all-lowered-super-beetle-pair-87-0258.html
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

A week or so back I tore apart my suspension to install lowering struts, disc brakes, and new bushings. Before- 185/65-15 front, stock struts, topline tapered sport springs, 205/65-15 rear, stock ride height

After, 175/65-15 front, kyb cartridges, empi lowering struts second notch down from the top, AC industries disc brake kit, topline stainless hoses, topline sport tapered springs. Rear is unchanged.

Rides stiffer than stock (but not objectionable at all) and handles much better, especially in wind or at speed. Highly recommended. Next up is the stiffer topline front sway bar (with caster fix kit) , a rear bar, and a strut tower brace. I'm unsure if I want to drop the rear a tiny bit or if I want to go to a 205/70-15 to keep the rake while eliminating the gap between the tire and rear fender a tad...

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Looking Good!!! You might consider a rear sway bar. I found it made a huge difference in how the car handles and even how the rear suspension takes bumps in the road. Much less bottoming out of the spring plate cover against the ledge. Got it from Topline.

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
driftman11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

I have a 71 SB that has the super low kit with sport+ springs, flip tie rod kit, camber adjusters, topline front sway bar kit etc. I am wondering if I can run the empi brm 4 lug 15" wheels and tuck still? This is a brand new project I picked up that has the suspension already done on pan, but he put the factory 15" wheels and tires back on. Looking to trade them out but want to verify I will be able to run these EMPI BRM 4 lug before I buy them off the net.

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D6629

Also, he didn't lower the bug yet, so I am trying to figure out how many notches on strut should I go in front and how many clicks should I go on the rear? Opinions are wanted on this. I do care about ride quality to a point, but I also want a noticeably lower stance.
1963backtolife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
68IHscout wrote:
Joel wrote:
oc don wrote:
Is there a Way to drop the front just a little with the stock front end?

Lowered springs or reweld the lower cup.
the lower cup is that the perch the spring sits on ?I like some more info on this procedure, I would like to cut welds and reweld about inch down ..I got topline sportsprings which it will drop aprox one inch too.

Yep, just grind the welds down and knock the perch free.

Don't go more than about 2", stock inserts just don't have enough travel and will bottom out a lot.

Awesome! Thank Joel. Just what I was looking for. I wonder if Scirraco struts inserts fit i the Empi lowered housings? You can get better choices for the water pumper. And thanks again.

I went 2.5" and it was too much

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Hello Super Slammers. I've got some low mileage Topline MaXX struts on a 72 Super Duper.

There is some slop right in the middle of the strut on the driver's side - where the rod plunges into the black tube, or in other words where that silver thing is threaded into the black thing. The whole strut kind of bends, and has a soft bumping side to side, right there where the rod plunges in when I push and pull on it and that doesn't seem right to me. Confused The front is on a jack so it's fully extended if that is of interest.

Especially since it does not do it on the passenger side. At first I thought maybe that silver thing wasn't screwed in enough into the black thing, but sticking my camera up underneath the passenger side let's me see that its also not dialed in all that deep either. Even so it doesn't move on the passenger side but the driver side does.

If there is something not right here my guess is it has something to do with how they were assembled when some prior owner put them on as there was very little wear on the brake disks and pads that are part of this lowering kit - so not enough miles to simply wear out.

Anybody have an idea on what to do? Thank you Sambanistas.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
rlutterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

I HATE to ask this, but I looked through all 28 pages of this thread and don't see a link to a step by step how to for installing adjustables on a 72 SB. Am I just missing it? I've checked out youtube and most of what is there is replacing the inserts. I see that they often remove the spindle, but when I look at how it's set up, shouldn't I be able to compress the spring, take off the three top and bottom bolts, and remove/replace the entire strut assembly.
I'm a pictures guy hence why a pictorial how to would be really helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

rlutterb - there's no way to compress these springs that I know of while the struts are still mounted in the car. I've done my '72 3-bolt and '74 2-bolt struts more than once, and you *must* remove it before you try to compress the springs and R&R inserts.

As for adjustment - the strut assemblies are pretty self-explanatory when you see them. The lowering ones that i used to have had a ring that went into notches on the bottom half of the assembly. You adjust the height by changing the slot the ring sits in - either a higher or lower ring.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
rlutterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

At the 2 minute mark in this vid the guy compresses the springs while on the car. I'm thinking if I do that, I can then get the 3 lower bolts off, remove the entire strut assembly off and replace it? never done it before and cannot find a photo tutorial, so I may be missing a real basic concept here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CPl2g3gz5D8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Removing the entire strut assembly (including the upper bearing) is a piece of cake so why tinker with it on the car?

Taken from Bugs'n'Pugs' gallery:

rlutterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Maddel, thanks for your response. My original question was 'can I compress the spring and replace the strut housing with a new adjustable strut without detaching things from the spindle'. The instructions you provided seem to indicate that I can.

I'm surprised that in a thread dating back 2004 on the subject of lowering a superbeetle doesn't have a step by step picture how to.

I'll find out next week when a I attack the job after Christmas. Tonight I'll put penetrating oil on everything to hopefully make the job easier. I've done a couple of picture how to's on here before, so I'll do one for this as well!
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

You're welcome!

Here's another link to an all German repair manual:
http://www.vw1302.de/a2/1302dok/technik/rep-va/rep-va.html
(mind the disk brakes)

rlutterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Maddel wrote:
You're welcome!

Here's another link to an all German repair manual:

Wish I had that strut spring tool!
rlutterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Like many have done, I wanted a DIY solution with the stock suspension. This is the way I did it, and like everything I do I filmed the whole process step by step for those who want to see what I did. I went down 2.5 inches with the standard shocks (which were still in good condition). It looks great, it rides really well and doesn't bottom out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lye2XSAtLTQ
YellowBeetleSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

I need help and I can't seem to find a straight answer on here. I had new suspension put in my 1972 Super and the shop put in adjustable struts. They lowered the front a whole bunch (more than I wanted) and now the 165R15 tires rub on the fender when turning.

I think the front is a little too low for my taste so I'd like to raise it about 1" from where it is in the picture. I also don't like how the rear is higher than the front end making it look like a drag car or something.

What do I need to do to make the tires not rub (without rolling the fender out)?
The rims are stock for March of 1972 so I think that's 4.5" rims.

Different tire size? What size? (I don't really want to go any narrower than 165)
-Will 185/60R15 rub if I raise it 1"? I don't want the tires sticking out from
the fender though, and I want to keep the rims looking stock.

Also, I want my tires with white walls so I'm only seeing them available in 165R15, 185/60R15, 185/65R15, 155R15, 145R15 from Coker, Diamondback, American Classic, BF goodrich....

Lowered in front (I don't know by how much)

Lowered, space between tire and fender. Rubs fender when turning.

Adjustable struts, I don't know the brand or how low it was lowered

New Suspension

Lowered, front tires rub the fender when turning. 4.5" stock rims, 165R15 tires all around.

Thanks to anyone that can help me. I just want to get my beetle back on the road so I'm willing to raise the front and/or get different tires or do whatever to get it to stop rubbing the fender.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

YellowBeetleSB wrote:
I had new suspension put in my 1972 Super and the shop put in adjustable struts. They lowered the front a whole bunch (more than I wanted) and now the 165R15 tires rub on the fender when turning...

Can't tell from your pics exactly but if the struts are like the ones in the pic below all you need to do is setting the spring seats on or two notches up...

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

YellowBeetleSB wrote:
I had new suspension put in my 1972 Super and the shop put in adjustable struts. They lowered the front a whole bunch (more than I wanted) and now the 165R15 tires rub on the fender when turning...

If you decide to go with lower tires, here is a thread exploring tire options, and in that thread there are links to a couple of tire size calculators that are really helpful too. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=694205
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

YellowBeetleSB wrote:
I need help and I can't seem to find a straight answer on here. I had new suspension put in my 1972 Super and the shop put in adjustable struts. They lowered the front a whole bunch (more than I wanted) and now the 165R15 tires rub on the fender when turning.

If you already paid for the job once and are not happy with the outcome, why not take it back to the shop and let then fix it the way you want it? They should at least know how to raise it up an inch, and might be able to advise you on tire size.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 33

Jump to: