Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

We constantly get asked “how do I lower my car”, so this is will be a “sticky” so that we don’t have to answer the same question over and over again.

Please post descriptions, pictures and parts needed to lower a MacPhearson Strut front end.

There will be a similar topic for Ball Joint beam in the Late Model forum and a Link Pin topic in the Beetle forun. So SuperLink Beetle only here.

Please keep this technical and no BS’ing.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the caveman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to make this as clear as possible:
-i already had bilsteins on the front which made the front really "look"
too high.
-bought the aftermarket adjustable struts, installed them in the middle position- i think a 1 1/2 inch drop-theoretically, but because of the bilsteins, the front barely dropped.
-installed the recommened strut inserts-machined rabbit shocks, and voila, the front dropped down.
- when i drove with essentially stock shocks i found the handling pretty poor compared to the gas bilsteins that i had before.
-took my original struts, cut the weld for the spring base, marked them 3/4 inch lower and had them welded up professionally, reinstalled the bilsteins. the car still sits a little up in the front, but it's better than stock and handles great.
my other issue was that i found the aftermarket adjustable struts much thinner that original, although i'm sure they would be okay for most people.
- if i had to do it again i would still cut and weld the struts but get some heavier duty shock inserts and machine them to get some decent handling.
- if you're gonna be just cruising and racing or don't have tons of extra power[ like me] then i would buy the aftermarket adjustable struts and the now available lowering springs.
hope this wasn't too long-goog luck to all you super owners
Dazed42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put some maxx struts on the front and it is working out pretty well.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rzepko6194
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed Topline springs with stock oil filled struts. This lowered the front end about 1 1/2" and now it's level with the rear. I also installed Topline front end bushings at the same time. The handling is considerably better and the ride is just as good as before.

You'll need MAXX struts to lower it further.

JP

79' Vert
nobrakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the sport springs from CIP1 on my stock housings and inserts, it dropped the front about 1" enough so it sits level now and handles great also did the urethane bushings all around.
riahs69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: dropin' it right Reply with quote

What I done to my Super is I Bought the Ajustable strut towers and A pair of Empi nLowered strut cartriges And used the stock spring. I set the strut @ the the fourth mark up from the bottem . I felt a huge ride difference ,I have been driving it for 2 weeks now And would not go back to original height , the only thing I would recommmend is that you dont use the 165/15r I would go with a 145r15 Low profile tire it rubs alittle w/165s. Tell me what think but this is what I'D Go With It's A cool Look. Laughing
1971super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: lowering... Reply with quote

i put a set of bugpack adjustable struts, two new empi oil filled shocks, kept the stock springs on an put the adjustment 3 clicks from the bottom. I have 195/6015's and they rubbed with people over 120 lbs in the passenger seat. I had to roll my fender a little bit but now its fine. Ide go with something a litttle lower profile and not so wide though if your a big person. But with me and hendles amazing. I can take a 25 mph corner at 50+ its nice, after lowering in ide never ride stock height again.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=235141
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to raise my car up a little bit, but don't want to take the adjustable struts completely off the car and take them apart using a spring compressor in order to raise the little ring up some notches. Is there a tool made so that I can raise it a notch or 2 while the strut is still on the car?
the caveman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why don't you try it and tell us. we used to change inserts without taking the strut out off the car. just remove the bearing nuts and CAREFULLY push the whole assembly down far enough to pull the top of the strut out.
taza_one
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to lower mine.

Last edited by taza_one on Sun May 21, 2006 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
motormike40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got done clipping a coil on each then heating them, so now it sits even, I love the look, and it handles much better then stock, and the ride quailty isnt bad at all, much better then I expected it be. Ill post pix tomm, for y'all
vwboy256
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 72' at stock height
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

my 72' lowered

look at all the exhausts ive been through..lol
bandido
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: how low can I go Reply with quote

got a another question for anyone. I just got the super low kit (adjust-a-strut, sway bar, etc..) from topline and I wanted to know how far i can lower my stock 73 super while using my stock wheels and tires I have on now.....I called topline and talked to someone who told me 3" but did not sound 100% sure when he answered my question. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeroDubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I lower the front of my super, do I have to put wider than stock fenders? I have a 74, with the adjustable lowering struts..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theredbarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you still use your stock fenders? Yes, providing the wheels you use have the correct offset.

I have a 74 and I'd rathar spent the money on a hot motor and drive train than custom wheels. A lot of the wheels commonly available to fit the 4x130 bolt pattern will not work on the front of a super. Believe me I've tried out quite a few. I'm having good luck with simple 5.5" chrome VW style wheels but even they will not allow me to lower the car so the stock fender will lap over the tire. I'm happy with the look of the chrome wheela nd wolfsberg hubcaps though and I like having the 195x60's on the front so I'm going to go with wider fenders for the front. (1.25"). I'll also go with a wider rear fender and use the 7" chrome wheel from Jbugs on the rear with a 215x50. I'll need the rubber back there when I get my 2L built!

Go with the topline parts when ever you can. I've never had a fitment issue or a bad part from them. My current tally from them is:

adjustable struts and inserts
sport springs
steering dampener
tie-rod ends and one new tie-rod (had a bent one)
7/8" front sway bar
3/4"rear sway bar
front disk brake kit
polly bushings for the front
polly gromets for the rear

My biggest complaint so far has been trying to find an alignment guy who will set the front end to MY specs. There's nothing stock about the suspension on my car and there is no reason to set it to factory specs. But trying to get someone to set camber at a reasonable -0.5 deg. is becomming impossible! But set with the best compromise I've been able to get it corners great! The ride is tight and the body roll ai substantially reduced.
wingsorion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Rear torsion adjustment Reply with quote

I need to lower the rear of my 71 super. I want to do it just by adjusting the torsion bars. can somebody please fill me in on how to do this? I already have the empi adj. front struts & inserts, along with the strut tower brace. I just don't know how torsion bars work. Any help is greatly appreciated.
theredbarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great link here...http://www.acvw.com/article.asp?DetailID=32 best I've read or seen for lowering the rear of an IRS.
LisasBuggin808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: What do I need?? Reply with quote

Just got myself a 1972 German Superbeetle... Just wondering what I need to lower my baby... Do I only need front springs? are they the same as the back? thanks!!! Razz
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What do I need?? Reply with quote

LisasBuggin808 wrote:
Just got myself a 1972 German Superbeetle... Just wondering what I need to lower my baby... Do I only need front springs? are they the same as the back? thanks!!! Razz

First read this entire topic from the top to the botton.

For the front you need to get shorter struts and springs.

The rear uses torsion springs, not coil springs like the front.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeroDubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I just was looking at a sway bar for sale here on the samba for $50. If my super is lowered will this work? It is a 22mm sway bar! Thanks for the advice. Also is a stabilizer bar worth the money? Or is it just for looks?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 33

Jump to: