Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Hello Super Slammers. I've got some low mileage Topline MaXX struts on a 72 Super Duper.

There is some slop right in the middle of the strut on the driver's side - where the rod plunges into the black tube, or in other words where that silver thing is threaded into the black thing. The whole strut kind of bends, and has a soft bumping side to side, right there where the rod plunges in when I push and pull on it and that doesn't seem right to me. Confused ... I thought maybe that silver thing wasn't screwed in enough into the black thing...

Last summer I posted a question above and, ultimately, found the soulution to it but just realized I hadn't posted the solution here. In the event anyone finds it useful...

Buggeee wrote:
Ok Joey... I called Topline and the size of the aluminum nut in my strut is 36mm. When they install them they do it without the springs on and use a large crescent wrench. They torque them to about 25lbs, which is easy to accomplish by hand.

I did not want to disassemble my struts and I could not fit a full thickness wrench in there with the springs in the way. So I ordered a 36mm Park Tools headset wrench (I am way into bicycles so this was a great excuse to add the tool to the bench).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It got in there no problem and made short work of tightening down that strut nut.

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Mkhalil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

I have a 2002 mexi beetle. I have no clue what my suspension components include. I would like to lower the front by 1 to 2 inches to match the rear. The rear sits fine, can someone help
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Mkhalil wrote:
I have a 2002 mexi beetle. I have no clue what my suspension components include. I would like to lower the front by 1 to 2 inches to match the rear. The rear sits fine, can someone help

Your car is a standard beetle, with a balljoint from, with swingaxle rear. It would be more appropriate to post your question in the balljoint lowering topic-

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143095

To give a basic answer, however, After a couple pages it'll be pretty clear the choices. Easiest way is likely drop spindles, but that give you ~2.5" drop, and isn't adjustable.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Hello, on my Max Struts, I think I either have worn them out for they have no charge, and they are suppose to be KYB GR-2's, which now days are remarked as Excell G's.

Anyway, is there any feedback on "New" Excell G's like if they raise the car in the front, and also if they are way noticeable stiffer?

Yea, I started with a Like new Set of Max Struts but have beaten the hell out of my car in the past three years on bad paved back roads in the mountains of Virgina. The car is way fun for I have a stroker in it plus the lowering kits from Topline, Thick sway bars all the way around and plus disk all the way around. No complaints with the Topline Parts what so ever. But wonder if it is time to rebuild my front end? lol..

Ok, hope everyone is having a good day, thanks for y'all time.. RB
Ram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Hello
anybody know the part number for KYB inserts for 70-73 3 bolt for adjustable struts?
I have a set of adjustable struts from EMPI , the shocks went bad after some years of use so I need to replace them , im not from the USA and I want to search locally for replacement ,the problem is I need a part number?

thanks
G2FULL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Well, another new guy here.

I just had a 73 Super basically fall into my lap. All it took was trading my 97 corolla and $1500...

PO lowered the car, significantly. I want to bring it up some, but not necessarily factory ride height.

I have youtubed videos, I read this thread up until page 15 and then skipped to 27.

I saw in a video how the torsion bar tool worked, but in said video the car wasn't around the suspension set up as the guy just had a mock up suspension to show off the tool.

I don't understand what everyone means by inner and outer spines.

Oh, I also checked page 5 cause that was pretty popular in the beginning, but none of those videos work now.

Anyone that has any diagrams or ideas on where I can see different videos that might help me bring this car up off the ground a little, I appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks!
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

G2FULL wrote:

I just had a 73 Super basically fall into my lap. All it took was trading my 97 corolla and $1500...

PO lowered the car, significantly. I want to bring it up some, but not necessarily factory ride height.

I have youtubed videos, I read this thread up until page 15 and then skipped to 27.

I saw in a video how the torsion bar tool worked, but in said video the car wasn't around the suspension set up as the guy just had a mock up suspension to show off the tool.

Oh, I also checked page 5 cause that was pretty popular in the beginning, but none of those videos work now.

Anyone that has any diagrams or ideas on where I can see different videos that might help me bring this car up off the ground a little, I appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks!

This is what you are looking at once you take apart the rear spring plates and covers.

The ends of the red torsion bar have splines or serrated edges that grip corresponding splines in the housings they slip into. The number of splines on the two ends of the torsion bar are not the same. So the bar can only go in one way. By rotating the torsion bar from it's stock setting and reinserting it, you change the preload on the spring plate, which changes the ride height. This chart shows you how to get to any ride height by rotating the torsion bar.

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

G2FULL wrote:

Thanks!

Here is a link to the page of my build where I took the rear end up an inch to get it off the rubber bump stops because it was too low for this old man. Now I have one inch of travel.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=180

It is still fun to sit a couple kids back there and get it down on the stops for fun. Smile
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
G2FULL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:

This is what you are looking at once you take apart the rear spring plates and covers.

The ends of the red torsion bar have splines or serrated edges that grip corresponding splines in the housings they slip into. The number of splines on the two ends of the torsion bar are not the same. So the bar can only go in one way. By rotating the torsion bar from it's stock setting and reinserting it, you change the preload on the spring plate, which changes the ride height. This chart shows you how to get to any ride height by rotating the torsion bar.

Thank you!

That makes some more sense now. In waiting for responses I also found another video, looks like the guys in that one didn't take that bar out they just adjusted what I'd call the "outer" splines to lower. So I figured that I just need to move things opposite of what they did.

I'm excited to get this project going with my boy. I had one as my first car with my Dad but life happened and it never made it to the road.
G2FULL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:

Here is a link to the page of my build where I took the rear end up an inch to get it off the rubber bump stops because it was too low for this old man. Now I have one inch of travel.

It is still fun to sit a couple kids back there and get it down on the stops for fun. Smile

Awesome!

This is my next read.

Thank you!!!!

EDIT: Buggeee, is it okay if I PM you with some questions as to not drag the thread on forever? I have to wait until my new user restrictions are up though, lol.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

G2FULL wrote:
Buggeee wrote:

Awesome!

This is my next read.

Thank you!!!!

EDIT: Buggeee, is it okay if I PM you with some questions as to not drag the thread on forever? I have to wait until my new user restrictions are up though, lol.

Yep
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Has anyone re-indexed....or, just indexed using larger, aftermarket torsion bars? I had Porsche 944 23.5mm bars but wanted to go a bit stiffer and ended up with 26mm bars that were meant to be a 924 upgrade. Unfortunately I have no idea what angle I should set them at.

H2OSB
Stewartwms21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

hello!
I have an odd situation. On my 1974 super I installed the CIP1 adjustable strut kit with empi lowered strut inserts and stock springs with spring plate on the 3rd notch from bottom. Put them on the car and it appears that its at stock ride height.
Now stupid me didn't measure the ground to fender before hand but now it sits 26" on passenger side and 27" on drivers. From what I've read on here that seems to be stock ride height for a 74 super. what am I missing? I will say the PO did the ol cut the spring cup to lower it trick. When I set the adjustable struts up I made them 1" lower than the "stock" struts. The only thing I can think of is the springs aren't stock??? they look to be. Are convertible springs taller?
I also tried using the 72 top spring plate but it would work with the 74 upper strut mount because of the "washer". Anyhow, any advise or ridicule would be appreciated.

G2FULL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
Has anyone re-indexed....or, just indexed using larger, aftermarket torsion bars? I had Porsche 944 23.5mm bars but wanted to go a bit stiffer and ended up with 26mm bars that were meant to be a 924 upgrade. Unfortunately I have no idea what angle I should set them at.

H2OSB

I may be off here,

But I found some good info...

http://vw.zenseeker.net/Wheels-TorsionBars.htm

https://swayaway.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/9913.pdf
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Thx, the sway-a-way link is what I needed. Since I'm starting from scratch, I don't have a baseline to start from. The SAW .pdf gives a angle in degrees for stock ride height with various thickness torsion bars. My bars are from Auto Atlanta, not SAW, but I cannot imagine they're going to be more than a few lbs. different in spring rate.

H2OSB
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Stewartwms21 wrote:
hello!
I have an odd situation. On my 1974 super I installed the CIP1 adjustable strut kit with empi lowered strut inserts and stock springs with spring plate on the 3rd notch from bottom. Put them on the car and it appears that its at stock ride height.
Now stupid me didn't measure the ground to fender before hand but now it sits 26" on passenger side and 27" on drivers. From what I've read on here that seems to be stock ride height for a 74 super. what am I missing? I will say the PO did the ol cut the spring cup to lower it trick. When I set the adjustable struts up I made them 1" lower than the "stock" struts. The only thing I can think of is the springs aren't stock??? they look to be. Are convertible springs taller?
I also tried using the 72 top spring plate but it would work with the 74 upper strut mount because of the "washer". Anyhow, any advise or ridicule would be appreciated.

Your issue can really only be differences in the spring height. With new upper mounts and new strut bodies the only thing left that might vary is the springs. Might be worth your while to just replace them. There are many sources for springs, but if you want to get fancy, Topline sells springs that are close to stock rate but tapered in the middle for additional tire/wheel clearance (think hourglass). However, you can find springs from other sources, such as take off rear springs from a VW Dasher(Mk1 Passat to you non-Americans ) or rear springs from an old Honda CRX.

H2OSB
Stewartwms21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

I think I will take them apart tonight and see if the springs are even the same. It's been a few moths since I built them so I don't recall. The car has been on jack stands since the day after i bought it. now I'm getting close to completing the project( that's what i tell my wife anyway) and Sunday was the 1st day off the stands. I'll probably just buy "new" springs and go from there.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

I have a 71 super and want to just make the car level. What kit/parts should I get? probably no more than 2" lower for front...leave back alone
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I have a 71 super and want to just make the car level. What kit/parts should I get? probably no more than 2" lower for front...leave back alone

I have the Topline kit that can slam your Super, but its pricey.

For a less expensive route for a little bit of lowering, you can use the Empi adjustable strut housing, and that will require a lowering strut insert. I think your stock springs remain. Most of the usual vendors carry these. Here is one example. https://www.jbugs.com/product/9626.html?utm_conten...NEQAvD_BwE

I have not used it.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
72alpinewhitebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

I went through topline, too but got their "mildest drop" (1 1/2 to 2") springs.

http://toplineparts.com/lower-your/sport-springs-pair.html

I also got the oil shocks which helps it sit down with the spring. They recommended all the camber hardware but my alignment guy didn't have to use it.
Topline was very easy to reach and helpful on the phone, I asked for exactly the same thing you are and I am happy. I would not however say the performance is exceptional, just much better.

72 Westy
60 Sedan
79 Vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 33

Jump to: