Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gavilomon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Hi, just new too this topic. My friend and I are restoring a 71' SB and wanted to lower the suspension and fit some jr23s (17x8 and ET probably around 25-35 running some thin tyres like 205/40 or 205/35 R17 but need to do more calculations). ( I might be wrong in my previous setup, as I said I haven't done serious calculations yet )

Our goal is to get a look like this one:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I already know about the Topline parts but as I live in Spain shipping + customs would make the suspension kit really expensive. We do not completely rule out Topline from our options but we also wanted to know if someone know any kit (not EMPI if possible) offered in Europe. If not we could always buy adjustable struts and then some shock absorbers which fit the struts)

I´ve already seen this suspension kit ( Coilover Kit front -07/73 1302/1303 up to 07/73 1-spring-system with Koni Special (red) front; damping force adjustable
lowering 30-80mm) but Im not really sure about it:

https://www.kerscher-tuning.de/kaefer/index.php?gruppe1=Fahrwerksteile&gruppe2=Gewindefahrwerke

Another question I have is: When lowering that much , is a sway bar always needed?

In summary, any advice is very welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Javier.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

on a super beetle, yes, a sway bar is always needed, as it's an integral part of the suspension design. A stock one will be fine for most situations if you're just lowering for ride/looks rather than handling. Go for an HD one if you plan on more spirited driving, makes a good difference in hard cornering.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
catalak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Hello All, I have a 73 Super and have been doing some homework, however I cannot find answers to the following questions. Hopefully someone can answer or point me in the right direction:

1. In possibly going with the empi/style adjustable strut setup (found here: https://www.jbugs.com/product/9626.html) - the struts that they suggest you purchase (found here: https://www.jbugs.com/product/9629.html) don't really provide a lot of data, in terms of specs, nor I have I found any alternative replacements. Question I've been searching for: What else, if any, types of strut inserts can replace the empi white strut? Does KYB, Koni, etc., make any replacement struts? Has anyone been successful in replacing the empi strut with an alternative strut?

2. Has anyone measured out the strut, external specs/measurements and also the bound/rebound distance?

Thanks in advance folks!
pertronix 1847V ignitor w/ prtx 40k coil
BP headers w/ single quiet pack exh.
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

I have a stock '79 Super convertible. The front rides high. When I lower the top, the front goes ever higher. And when I drive on the highway - fahgettaboutit-

Wolfsburg West offers replacement strut springs. They claim the springs will lower a convertible by 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches. I assume no modifications are needed besides swapping out the springs.

Does anyone have experience with these springs?
slideshow240
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

catalak wrote:
Hello All, I have a 73 Super and have been doing some homework, however I cannot find answers to the following questions. Hopefully someone can answer or point me in the right direction:

1. In possibly going with the empi/style adjustable strut setup (found here: https://www.jbugs.com/product/9626.html) - the struts that they suggest you purchase (found here: https://www.jbugs.com/product/9629.html) don't really provide a lot of data, in terms of specs, nor I have I found any alternative replacements. Question I've been searching for: What else, if any, types of strut inserts can replace the empi white strut? Does KYB, Koni, etc., make any replacement struts? Has anyone been successful in replacing the empi strut with an alternative strut?

2. Has anyone measured out the strut, external specs/measurements and also the bound/rebound distance?

Thanks in advance folks!

Use mk1 rabbit front shock inserts
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Hi guys I have a 71 superbug and I’m lowering it on empi adjustable struts (got a good deal on them) and anyways I’m going to lower the car (not slam it).can I just get a non lowered bigger sway bar or do I need a bigger sway bar?dont plan on slamming the car
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

You don't need a lowered bar if you only plan to go a couple inches down.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

You can always use an old skool cali. drag trick and put 13 inch wheels upfront and 14 inches at the back.
The bug will sit about an inch lower all round and accelerate faster but top speed will suffer unless a custom gearbox setup is used.
dfrandsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Maybe somebody might find this useful here. Here's a video I did on lowering the rear end and re-indexing the torsion bars.

Link
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Great video - especially the part showing how you lined up the torsion bar and did the count up and down. Having done this 3 or 4 times, it's "just a bit" harder to do w/the body on the car. I've always had to use long bolts to get the spring plate cap back on.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
dfrandsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Great video - especially the part showing how you lined up the torsion bar and did the count up and down. Having done this 3 or 4 times, it's "just a bit" harder to do w/the body on the car. I've always had to use long bolts to get the spring plate cap back on.

Thanks!! I got a kit from top line I plan to do next, I'll add it here as well.
RJSMRM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

First post here, are doing a rebuild of a -73 Beetle for my daughter. Have been working with VW´s before and did dragracing in the -80th with bugs.
Now long time since and plan to lower the front end with what I got in my garage Smile
Have a pair of new KYB gas inserts for what I believe is the 74- shocks (2-bolt strut). They are approx 6,5 cm (2 1//2") shorter than the 3-bolt -73 shocks, but almost the samt total length.
Plan to shorten my 3-bolt struts 6,5 cm, make a bushing to center the 74- inserts and move the spring "plate" to approx 2" o maybe all way to 2 1/2lower than stock. Will use stock springs.
Any other did the similar?

///Robert
RJSMRM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

So here is my easy 6,5 cm (2 1//2 inch) drop on the -73 (3 bolt) strut. Doing a Bug restoration for my daughter. I figured use what I have in my garage so had a pair Ridex shocks (74- 2-bolt strut) part no 854S1735 from Autodoc. So I figured if I cut the strut 6,5 cm the 74- shocks fit perfectly. I also used the 74- rubber stop. I also used a teflon bushing to center the shock.

So picture speaks for itself Very Happy

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

RJSMRM wrote:
First post here, are doing a rebuild of a -73 Beetle for my daughter. Have been working with VW´s before and did dragracing in the -80th with bugs.
Now long time since and plan to lower the front end with what I got in my garage Smile
Have a pair of new KYB gas inserts for what I believe is the 74- shocks (2-bolt strut). They are approx 6,5 cm (2 1//2") shorter than the 3-bolt -73 shocks, but almost the samt total length.
Plan to shorten my 3-bolt struts 6,5 cm, make a bushing to center the 74- inserts and move the spring "plate" to approx 2" o maybe all way to 2 1/2lower than stock. Will use stock springs.
Any other did the similar?

///Robert

My first lowering was done by cutting the welds on the lower perches and relocating them 3” lower. That was 2007ish. Still running, but am going with 17x7 twists, so, maxx it is.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
backagain73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Is Top line still in business ? Web site is dormant. Thanks G.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

backagain73 wrote:
Is Top line still in business ? Web site is dormant. Thanks G.

Very much so.
https://toplineparts.com/product-category/default-category/vw-front-end/

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
backagain73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Thanks vamram. Been trying to contact with no results.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Slightly different angle, but probably pretty much the same solution - at some point I'm going to be converting my 1303/Super to an EV, which will increase the weight over the front end (approx the same as a full tank plus full luggage load, maybe more depending on the batteries).

Anyone got any recommendations for heavy duty springs to make sure I don't accidentally 'slam' the car, and will I need to uprate the shocks too?

I definitely want to keep the handling standard, or possibly slightly improve it (the weight distribution will be more even, which should in theory make it handle a bit better; I'll be keeping the batteries mounted low so they don't affect roll centre too much) and don't want to do a cosmetic lowering job with worse handling since there are some quite twisty roads around where I live.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

I just picked up the following parts at a swap meet. They were new in box and never used.

https://store.concept1.ca/Super-Beetle-Lowering-Springs-8142200116-66110/
https://www.cip1.ca/acc-c10-4061-kit/

The cip1 listing says not to use lowering springs with the adjustable struts. I've seen mixed information about this online.

I need to drop the front end of my 74 super about 1.75" to 2" to level it with the rear. Would I be best to use the adjustable struts with stock springs, or my original struts and inserts with the lowering springs? I assume using both together is a bad idea.
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Hi guys I am currently redoing my 71 supers suspension and steering.anyways I’m lowering it maybe 2-1/2 inches in the front and one notch in back.should I upgrade to the 7/8 sway bar in front or just keep the stock sway bar?car will be a daily driver and roads here have a lot of curves
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 33

Jump to: