Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

illcomm33 wrote:
boxer74 wrote:
Here's a before and after shot of some slight lowering on my 74.

Before (bottom):
Tapered sport springs in stock housings with stock oil-filled inserts and 155/60/15 front tires

After (top):
Tapered sport springs in adjustable housings on top setting with bilstein B4 gas inserts and 165/65/15 front tires

The change is subtle, but I like the slightly bigger tires and the fender gaps are roughly even front and back. The front end sits approx 2.5 inches lower than stock (before I used the tapered springs at all).

Looks good and thanks for posting.
What size are the rear tires?

Is it a common practice to mismatch front and rear tire sizes on a Super Beetle (after lowering just the front) so it sits level? (VS re indexing the rear torsion bar?)

Rear tires are 185/65/15.

In my case, I have 4.5" wide sport wheels on front and 5.5" on the back, so I've staggerred the widths to suit the wheels.

I think it may be more common to go with smaller tires on standard bugs than supers. These 165/65/15's have about same contact patch as stock size tires and just a little shorter, so not too much of a stagger.
Paul Wright
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

1975 Super with 2 bolt strut. Rack and pinion steering.
I have the Maxx Struts and springs installed.
The strut is currently setting on the 3.5 inch mark and the ground to fender is 24.5 inches.

17" rims with 205/40R17 Tires.

I want to go lower but running into a problem that I hope someone has solved before.
When hitting a large bump or dip in the road the Rack and pinion mounting bracket hit my control arm. I know that if I go lower this problem will become worse.
I spoke to John @ Topline and he said that #1, in all his experience my fender to top of tire should be almost hitting. My fender is almost 1.75 inches above the tire tread.
I removed one of the bump stops on the strut and I am not sitting on the bump stop even with full tank of gas
So I don't know why its still sitting so high and if I go lower I will hit my control arm.
Is there a modified control arm that anyone knows of??
illcomm33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Empi Adjustable Lowering Strut housing -> bump stop and bellow?

Finally getting to the point of reassembling/installing the Empi lowered struts, using stock spring, on a 74 Super.

The Jbugs video (props to Sam/team for quality help!) references not using the OEM bump stop and strut protecting bellow/cover.

Has anyone found an acceptable aftermarket solution?
Doesn't make sense to not have either installed.

TopLine offers Bump Stops for all Lowered Super Beetle, pair. Black Urethane. Use on any lowing strut…….#87-0258.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That is half the solution but feel that maybe there is a bellow/boot combo that is also available? Like...

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

I just installed those bump stops from Topline in my '73 Super. Jon told me to use a pair for each strut but that cause the front to ride too high and bounce. I went back and left it at one per strut, much better.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
illcomm33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
I just installed those bump stops from Topline in my '73 Super. Jon told me to use a pair for each strut but that cause the front to ride too high and bounce. I went back and left it at one per strut, much better.

TWO on one side? Seems strange, especially since they don't look like they would sit nicely/mesh together (vs using 1/2 spacers that Top Line sells)
I noticed you still have that strut cover installed. Does that cover attach to those new Top Line bump stops? Does it interfere with anything?

Thanks for posting.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Here's his email reply to me when I asked:

Quote:
Fat ends against each other.

J

> On Apr 12, 2023, at 6:34 AM, myeamail.com <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Jon - are these installed with the fat ends up against each other? Or with both cones pointing up?
>

I kept the cover on top of the new rubber stop. It doesn't cause any interference that I could detect and the ride is fine. The cut original style these replaced lasted for about 27-28k miles. Time will tell how long these last!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
illcomm33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Photo updates with Top Line bump stops, shock/strut covers, and shock isolators (cheap on Amazon).

Side by side of the shorter bump stop. Very good quality (as usual with Top Line)

Instead of purchasing those expensive strut isolaotors that fit in the bottom of the strut holder (VWC-113-411-211-PR) I just bought those basic/standard isolators on Amazon. Cheap and seem to work good. The fit in the bottom mount plate just fine. Also those are the original springs....they were prepped and sprayed with Rustoleum Caliper paint..lots of research indicated this paint could work on springs...I guess we will see!)

Drilled one small drain hole in the base mount so water can drain.

Decent quality boots/covers purchased on ebay. (Aftermarket Black Shock Absorber Boot Cover 2 Pack JSP Brand Replaces ROU-87159) Not sure how they will perform but I feel they will protect the strut shaft and the final product looks more finished.

Had to trim the top of the boot and zip tie the cover on. Only driving around will confirm if this approach works but it seems like a good fit.

Also..those 2 bolts that hold the strut to the spindle...29 ft lbs (approximate 39 NM) I swear I was going to strip them or break something...it took forever to get to that torque.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

To answer a question above regarding 185s on a lowered car.

This is sitting 2.5 inches lower than stock with 185 60r 15s on 5.5x15 ET26 wheels. No rubbing.

I added this pic just because I like it. Only difference from the above pic is bumpers and Miata seats

H2OSB
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Nice stance. Did you have the sunroof installed? How's it work?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Heh, honestly that's a factory steel sliding sunroof. It didn't function when we bought the car. I looked into replacement parts but they were far too cost prohibitive so we forced it as tightly closed as possible and ran a bead of black RTV around the edge to make sure it wouldn't leak. When we got the car painted after a minor fender/hood/valance bender, for some reason the painter didn't paint the sunroof (he was painting the car for free, so I didn't think I should complain).

I replaced the three dented parts and discovered all the colors were custom mixed and thus more than I was willing to spend. My son chose tan.

I really liked the paint job, but not the body mods. The tail lights were frenched in. On the right car, they looked good, but not on this car (we traded them away to a friend). And the valance mods on the front made the car look like a fish (there were odd, custom T bars).

H2OSB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33
Jump to:
Page 33 of 33

Jump to: