Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmissions For Dummies
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

I wonder if that is what these are from. I have had them for some time now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

That MUST BE what those are!!!

But if there is no IRS trailing arm, I would think that would be VERY weak and flimsy with trouble maintaining camber. Maybe there's an IRS arm that it bolts to along with the spring plate. IRS with RGBs is pretty damned cool!
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

Thanks both. I'd love to see the complete unit with axles to get an idea of how it worked.

From the description on that website, I didn't think they'd use IRS, as it says that those buses used splitscreen mechanicals. I figured it was an attempt to maintain the correct camber with spring plates.

Looking at those pictures, would the clamps grip a T-piece on the end of the axle that held the UJ (or one of them, if there was one at each end) in contact with the input shaft to the reduction box?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

If it were swing axle suspension, there would be no need to invent a different from swingaxle reduction gear box for the end of the axle with a u-joint on the inboard side as swingaxle reduction gear box axles already existed. This MUST be for an IRS suspension and the RGB MUST attach to a trailing arm. There is no other reason for this to exist. The gear box probably was an IRS tunnel case Bug box.

Obviously the generalization that the vehicle was built with split window mechanicals was, like many generalizations, not entirely true.

The shaft almost certainly has the rest of the u-joint not shown in the picture of the reduction box above. And it probably is a shaft with a slip joint built into it. And it very likely has a similar u-joint at the inboard end where it attaches to the output flange of the gear box.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
westgl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

I have a question for the Bug transaxle Gurus. My plan is to use the Rear suspension section, with Transaxle. I want to Make into a Front wheel drive rear wheel steering Reverse trike. I want use a adaptor plate for Warp9 electric Motor to the transaxle and transform it into a Front wheel drive fixed front wheels and a single rear wheel that is steerable. To me it looks like I just need to flip the diff over, I will Not be Flipping the trans as it will stay in it's original mounting orientation, as it will be running it Front wheel drive, I believe just the diff needs to be flipped over? and all is well. With an electric motor it will run in either direction.
Anything I should be aware of on the VW transaxle (I will be Beefing Up the transaxle) running it as a Front wheel drive.
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

Hello, looked thru all 28 pages and could not find info for thing transaxle. I have read somewhere in all this vast amounts of information that some thing transaxles had LSD diffs.

Trans code ( A 122 6 3 )
The number 1 appears to be upside down.
Thanks Brett

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

This Vanagon thread should be shared with the off-road forum. It's about significantly beefing up a Syncro transaxle, most of which applies to 091/1 as well.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=725130
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

Hey guys, so I’m looking for some clarification between a 3-rib and 5-rib transmission.
3-rib - CK (1700) type 4 engine
5-rib - CM (1800) type 4 engine

Which would be best to pair with a 1600 type 1 engine?

I’ve also measured the input shafts in both the 3-rib (type 4 engine) and the 5-rib (has been running with a type 1 engine) from the throwout bearing guide tube end to the end of the input shafts. Both measure 2 3/4”. Isn’t the input shaft in an 002 needing to be shorter to be used in a type 1 engine?

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trismoney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

Can any one help me ID a transmission. Its out of a bus. Swing Axle Stamping on the side says 113.301.103 and H4626875? I can seem to find any information with the H code. Does that mean is 12v or 6v?
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

I am considering installing an automatic in my baja. Currently I have an 091 six rim installed. What is the difference between an 010 from a late bus, and an 010 from a Vanagon? I have access to both. Is engine vacuum necessary for either type?

I know I would be building mounts from scratch off my roll cage. Maybe different length axles if I can't center the trans. How do each style of the gearboxes mentioned about differ with respect to building shift linkage?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

These guys are the off-road auto trans pros:
https://www.transaxleengineering.com/
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SaskVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

I've looked everywhere and can't ID my transmission. Does anyone know anything about the "H" codes? Its out of a 64 Single Cab ("Big Nuts"). Swing Axle Stamping on the side says 113.301.103 and H6294020? I can't seem to find any information with the H codes.

This is what I believe it to be by only going on the fact that the vehicle is a '64 Big Nut 1 Ton Single Cab that originally came with a 1500. I'm not 100% sure but I believe the transmission to be original to the vehicle.

4th gear: 0.82
Axel ring and pinion: 4.125
GRB: 1.26

Thanks in advance
Scruffy Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

I have search all over and including this thread but can't find the answer.

Can anybody tell me where to look on a 3 rib Bus IRS for the code? I can only find a casting number 002 301 108 A.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

Have you read?:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143138
SoCalBajas Member
Scruffy Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Have you read?:

Rolling Eyes
Yes I did. That is the first post in this thread.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

Scruffy Buggy wrote:
dustymojave wrote:
Have you read?:

Rolling Eyes

I know that link takes you to the 1st post in this thread. That was intentional.

I have a 002 sitting out back and checked the numbers on it today.
"CA062 16 44" I believe it's a 72 or 73 bus trans. Those numbers are on the lower left side below the oil fill port.
SoCalBajas Member
syncrogreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

here is my PDK in action

Link

travel pictures:
http://instagram.com/crepeattack/

- the Pastis build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434656&highlight=subaru+diesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scruffy Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Scruffy Buggy wrote:
dustymojave wrote:
Have you read?:

Rolling Eyes

I know that link takes you to the 1st post in this thread. That was intentional.

I have a 002 sitting out back and checked the numbers on it today.
"CA062 16 44" I believe it's a 72 or 73 bus trans. Those numbers are on the lower left side below the oil fill port.

Just got around to checking that location and found them. Thanks!

The catch is mine has a number that starts with CAO. There is no listing starting with C that i have found. The type 2 beginning with AO supposedly was installed in a 70 Karmann Ghia and it doesn't say it's the IRS version which mine is.

So I'm still at a bit of a loss except I know it's a 3 rib type 2 trans. Just had the nose cone off to replace the selector shaft ball and discovered my nose cone has linear bearings front and back. No bushings in it for the hockey stick.
RTRHED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeMinimis wrote:
I vote Sticky

If beer makes you smarter; I should be an absolute genius !!!

Ifi I had all the $ I pissed away my life I would have averynice race car. Oh well.........

Mad
MVB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

Anyone remember the Chevy Corvair Powergide with the torque converter hanging off the end? I vaguely recall a racing transaxle for endurance racing, etc , that had a concentric shaft. So in mid engined form, like say the 914, has a full clutch assembly at the very back. With a secondary ‘flywheel’ for want of a better word at the very back on the inner shaft, then the clutch plate on the outer shaft, then the pressure plate, the thust bearing & it’s lever before finally the gearbox & the differential directly behind the engine. Well maybe the clutch assembly’s oriented the opposite way arround, but still at the very back.

But the whole point is, in a midengine assembly, the whole clutch assembly can be quickly removed by sliding it off the back, after removing a bell housing designed to be quickly removed too. Then another already assembled clutch assembly can be slid on, the bell housing attached & the thrust lever re-attached. Either off the back off an endurance off road buggy or simply axcessed by opening the boot / trunk of the car, gaining direct access simply by opening a flap or undoing a panel (like a Pontiac Tempest Super Duty), unless, of course if the back of the transaxle is exposed for direct access in the boot / trunk.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
Jump to:
Page 28 of 28

Jump to: