Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting it street legal stories.....
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FPGT72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject: Getting it street legal stories..... Reply with quote

I was going through the hoops of getting my rail street legal, each state is different, and today is different then yesterday. Yesterday, roughly 15 years ago, getting it done in MO was a chore.

I go to the HP, those that do the "inspection" and ask questions. Well you need a title for the source car. I don't have one. Then how can you build it without stealing the parts. It is a VW you can build an entire car out of one ad in the back of a magazine.

I KNOW THAT the "inspector" says....

Then why did you tell me I must have a source car?

I think you better leave.....

Well ok.

It was at this moment I should have known. It took three trips to Jeff city to get it sorted. Then back to the HP with my papers and that went smooth as silk. Got the coveted VIN plate and they drill two holes and rivet it to the car. All done.

Then I hurt myself and it sits.

This thing is really kinda fun.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting it street legal stories..... Reply with quote

I'm in Southern Arizona. I brought my Rat Rail home on a trailer and the back of a truck in assorted milk crates and boxes. It was a partially completed frame with an eight inch over wide front end and a lot of parts, some of which actually fit. I had a hot little Ford V6 with a Kennedy adapter waiting in the shop. It took about six months to build it into something that would drive and another year to get it the way I wanted it.

Once I had it road worthy, I worked on it to get it road legal. Wipers, turn signals, hi/lo beams, a horn, hazard flashers, etc. etc. etc.!!!! I was told that I had to drive it thru the inspection but could not get a temp tag since it had never been street legal and had no VIN. I hauled it to the State DMV on a trailer, unloaded it and drove it into the Inspection line.

Except there was no line. It was only me there facing two Inspectors with clipboards and radios and hard hats.....all by myself. Yeah, I was worried. I'd heard all of the horror stories of donor cars and lost titles, etc.

"Oh wow! look at this thing. What does this do? Hey hey hey.. what's this thing for? This is so cool. I want one. What did this cost you? Oh my Gosh. What's this thing for? Does it have a gun turret mount? " etc. etc. etc. I finally had to ask them if I had passed! "Huh? Oh yeah sure sure. (As he signs something on his clipboard and handed it to me) Hey Joe. Come take a look at this thing. I think he has a heads up night vision system in here!"

Fifteen minutes later, I had a stick on VIN plate, a Title and a license plate. I already had insurance so I put the plate on and drove it home. My Wife tried to keep up with the truck/trailer.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting it street legal stories..... Reply with quote

Didn't do enough homework? Mine was a piece of cake.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604078&highlight=
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting it street legal stories..... Reply with quote

P.S. I was told to go to Rolla because the guys in south stl county are dicks.
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Getting it street legal stories..... Reply with quote

Simple in az just pay an extra 5 bucks.My hardest part was the tansfer of title from ca to az though.

Was a nightmare to do because ca classifys as dbug no big deal but in az dbug is like a meyers so i couldnt get ohv registration only st in which my case i would need to do emissions testing which aint happening.Did a level 2 inspection but they wouldnt change dbug to atv.At the begining they were telling me at mvd that i could not transfer it and gave me no reason just said they couldnt do it

Went in a few months later to try again took inspection paper clerk goes to work and ask me is this like an off road atv i say yes she looks more ask if specific off road i say yes she enters info tells me price and ask if i want to do partial street i say whats that playin confused i say yeh sounds good.Walk out done,titled and st legal.
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
racecougar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Getting it street legal stories..... Reply with quote

Getting ready to jump through these hoops in Missouri as well. Let me know if this sounds like the right path:

Fill out the Application for Mo Title and License (Form 108): https://dor.mo.gov/forms/108.pdf

Fill out the top of the Vehicle Exam Certificate (Form 551). As I bought the thing completely built, I'll have to state that no changes were made in Section 9B: https://dor.mo.gov/forms/551.pdf

Fill out an Application for Vehicle Identification Number Plate (Form 5062): https://dor.mo.gov/forms/5062.pdf

Take the rail, Form 551, and Form 5062 to Troop C for inspection. I heard that this is no longer required; that any State registered safety inspector can complete this part. Anyone know?

Once the inspection is performed, I take all of the above forms, plus a notarized bill of sale from the purchase of the rail, a copy of the front and back of the title from which the engine was pulled, and two photographs of the vehicle to the DMV.

The DMV then hopefully will send off for a VIN tag, which will be sent to either Troop C or whoever does the inspections now. Once the tag arrives there, I bring the rail back to them, for them to install.

After the VIN tag is installed, I go back to the DMV and finally get to file for the title which will come in the mail.

Does that all sound right?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: