Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sound deadening update
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Eric,
I had an 81' Vanagon L that I bought new. It was actually pretty quiet, but then it had no miles on it. I only owned it for the first 60,000 miles, so who knows once it got on in years. I did ditch the factory Continental tires in favor of a set of Pirelli P700's the first month I had the car though, and that improved ride and quiet a bit. Remember those tires? They were pretty good in their day. And this 87' was horrid when I first got it, but that was because it had it's original shocks and a set of house brand tires that had been on the thing in storage for something like 12 years - bricks more than tires really. The mileage on this one is low though, and her suspension/ steering is still tight so with new tires and shocks she's a bit nicer than the 81 was - but of course we didn't have 16" alloys and XGTZ4 Michelins back then Wink
I'm thinking of replacing the seals at both front doors and side door. The existing ones are fine, but I'd just like the doors to close as snug and tight as I remember them on the new car.
The biggest tangible difference between the 81' and 87' for me is the smoother idle, greater horsepower, and automatic transmission on the 87' that gives it better overall drivability. And of course the jump seats and table are pretty clever. But I liked the thinner 81' mirrors better than the boxy electric ones.
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 89' Wolfsberg 'Whitestar' and an 82' Diesel Westy. I'm sure you can imagine the difference in sound! Even without the engine noise the front doors and sliding door in the 82' just seem like they are made out of thinner metal. They just do not have that beautiful low deading 'thunk' sound that my 89' has when I close the doors. I am going to try the sound deadening product on my 82' to try and quiet down the symphony of noises taking place behind the front seats. I don't think there is a noisier car than an old westy.........diesel!!!
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you folks know whether the later model versions have this stuff going on already? I have an '87 Westy that I wouldn't mind quieting down, though it's not too bad as of now. Question
stumpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: sound deadning Reply with quote

Hey Vdubber, Do you plan any of that deadning material for the Fire Wall,behind the dash?? Is that a place that creates a lot of noise?? Mighty Art-- Did you do behind the dash?? Reading your thread makes me a little antzie, like I should go to the garage and get busy!! (To Cooooold)
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: sound deadning Reply with quote

stumpie wrote:
Hey Vdubber, Do you plan any of that deadning material for the Fire Wall,behind the dash?? Is that a place that creates a lot of noise?? Mighty Art-- Did you do behind the dash?? Reading your thread makes me a little antzie, like I should go to the garage and get busy!! (To Cooooold)

Nope, didn't hit the front wall. I may though. The job has been put on hold for a while now. Its been way to cold Rolling Eyes
Big B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, my 91 had a thick foam pad under the front carpet, about an inch and one half thick, moulded, it was on both sides. Now i've got an 87 Westy and i've never looked under there. Does anybody know 'when' they started to put that thick foam formed pad under the carpet????
Thar would sure do it Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big B wrote:
Eric, my 91 had a thick foam pad under the front carpet, about an inch and one half thick, moulded, it was on both sides. Now i've got an 87 Westy and i've never looked under there. Does anybody know 'when' they started to put that thick foam formed pad under the carpet????
Thar would sure do it Exclamation

Your not talking about the suff in MightyArts photo are you? If so, have it in my 82.
Big B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, missed it Embarassed , I think that's the stuff, that should stop alot of noise. My 87 Westy, when i bought it, it had the passenger door step rubber missing, man those four little holes let alot of noise in. First thing I did was order a new one from GoWesty.
Silent night Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dead 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovedavdubs wrote:
Tin can sound is gone. And the van does feel more solid. Laughing I can still hear the long standing squeak in my front end though Rolling Eyes But I think I need to fix that problem rather than cover it up. Its been cold as hell recently, and I haven't had a whole lot of time to complete the job. Unfortunately I haven’t progressed much past the last photos I posted. The job will be on hold at least until I get that rust out of the picture. Rolling Eyes Keep ta posted.

By doing your front doors does the eDead keep water off of your door panels? Is it water tight?
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, with this you don't have to put back the plastic "moisture barrier".
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mighty... That stuff looks great. Are you just laying it in the panels, or are you using adheasive?? Any concern about moisture trapped within or behind it?
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
tsombrero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to reply to an ancient thread but it just got added to the stickies today so it seemed like a good place to post my experience yesterday. I picked up some of that tar-based roof repair stuff (about 1/16" thick, 6" wide, comes in a roll) for $15 at Home Despot. Put it on the rear hatch panel inside, and voila! HUGE difference.

This stuff is WAY cheaper than B-Quiet. I was initially concerned about offgasssing from the tar-based stuff but (1) B-Quiet's mid-grade stuff is tar-based, and looks like the exact same stuff, and (2) any outgassing won't get past the vapor barrier anyway. I picked up some 4-mil clear plastic for that ($12).

Granted, I'm not doing the whole floor and stuff like some... just the noisy doors. One roll is plenty for that.

I also looked at the Frost King duct insulation that some have used. It is very lightweight-- I suspect it would not work nearly as well as the heavier stuff for sound deadening.

1988 Westy, Syncro-nated
2003 Aprilia Caponord (now with Jif)
Atari 2600
1970 Earthbound Humanoid
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsombrero1 wrote:
I picked up some of that tar-based roof repair stuff (about 1/16" thick, 6" wide, comes in a roll) for $15 at Home Despot. Put it on the rear hatch panel inside, and voila! HUGE difference.

What is the SKU number so the rest of us might be able to find it, please?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
singlewc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsombrero1 wrote:
I picked up some of that tar-based roof repair stuff (about 1/16" thick, 6" wide, comes in a roll) for $15 at Home Despot. Put it on the rear hatch panel inside, and voila! HUGE difference.

Okay, I can't stand it any more. All you guys getting your vans quieter is even making someone as destitute as me, consider doing something about it Smile

Mine is a plain vanilla van, with rubber floor mats, so if you think your carpeted vans are noisy....... oye! I rode in a friend's van once, years ago, that had carpet, and was stunned at the difference.

Here is the rub. Buying some stuff and putting it on doesn't seem to stress my skill set, but how are you folks getting the door and hatch panels off and back on? It seems to me that after 25 years, if I try to remove those things, every one of those little plastic 'doo dads' is gonna break, the panel will crack or bend, and although it might make the van quieter, its not gonna be all that pretty anymore.

What's the secret to getting those panels off and one in one piece? and for the doodads that break, what are you doing to replace/repair/make ammends? Please?

Thanks,

Mark
tsombrero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
What is the SKU number so the rest of us might be able to find it, please?

I trashed the UPC but on the label it says "Protecto Wrap Quick-Fix Roof & Gutter Repair Tape". It's next to the roofing/flashing stuff. It has a foil backing that faces out, and some very strong adhesive when you peel off the paper. I wouldn't put it over anything you might need access to ever (e.g., welded seams and such). I went for about 75% coverage.

I have a set of these for pulling the panels off:
http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5007

I broke two or three clips pulling off the back panel but maybe others are more skilled. I have seen the rear hatch ones for sale at Bus Depot.

1988 Westy, Syncro-nated
2003 Aprilia Caponord (now with Jif)
Atari 2600
1970 Earthbound Humanoid
westylife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovedavdubs:

Your laying down of sound deadening material is way better that mine. Your cuts look sharp!!

Question about the doors. Thats my next step. Why did you put it over the plastic and not behind the plastic? I thought I saw a post that said to do what you did to achieve more dampening affect, but I cant find it now. I was thinking about doing it on both sides, but like you I go overboard.

Thanks,

Jason.
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westylife wrote:
lovedavdubs:

Your laying down of sound deadening material is way better that mine. Your cuts look sharp!!

Question about the doors. Thats my next step. Why did you put it over the plastic and not behind the plastic? I thought I saw a post that said to do what you did to achieve more dampening affect, but I cant find it now. I was thinking about doing it on both sides, but like you I go overboard.

Thanks,

Jason.

Thanks Wink I'm an architect by trait so anal retention is my vise Rolling Eyes Laughing I spent wayyyy too long on it.

Yea I kinda did the doors the wrong way. I was reluctant to remove the factory installed plastic sheeting. So that was my only option. If you remove the plastic in yours, or its already gone, put your sound deadening material on the inside face of the actual door skin. You'll get even better results. Also you wont have to worry about your speaker leads grounding out on the material.

Good luck

Good luck
techbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to chime in a bit on the plastic sheeting or vapor barrier. I discovered that the PO (or rather his mechanic) removed the plastic sheeting on the drivers side when I was doing a bit of sound deadening. I bought some painting drop cloth plastic that was rated for moisture and some heavy duty double stick tape. A little bit of creative x-acto knifing & patching and it was all sealed it back up nicely! I've had to take my door apart several times due to some powerlock gremlins so I'm good at it now!! Just a thought!
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techbot wrote:
Just to chime in a bit on the plastic sheeting or vapor barrier. I discovered that the PO (or rather his mechanic) removed the plastic sheeting on the drivers side when I was doing a bit of sound deadening. I bought some painting drop cloth plastic that was rated for moisture and some heavy duty double stick tape. A little bit of creative x-acto knifing & patching and it was all sealed it back up nicely! I've had to take my door apart several times due to some powerlock gremlins so I'm good at it now!! Just a thought!

Yea, In hind site I should have just done that. I just hate to "fix it if it aint broke".
westylife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

I tried to pull the plastic off and it seems like I might be able to pull it off and save it. If not I will use tencentlife's suggestion.

Cheers,
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: