Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sound deadening update
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the local Big Box hardware store to look at the el cheapo rolls of roofing material for this project. The rolls smelled strongly of roofing asphalt.

After a few minutes of deliberation I put the stuff back on the shelf,
choosing not to subject myself and my family to the noxious vapors this stuff would spew for who knows how long, esp. on a hot day. (Yes, we do get those in Orygun from time to time.)

Sigh. I was really hoping for a cheap fix, but long term health and avoidance of environmental pollutants takes priority.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats funny, I am doing my own project and putting that Quick Roof asphalt in my doka. It hasn't smelled up yet, will report back during the summer.
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember where I first came across this--I'm fairly sure I wasn't on this group. I think it is worth reading before starting on this sort of project:

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i considered the roofing stuff too, but my wife can smell stuff like a police dog. if i put something that smelled "chemically" in the van it would be all over. she would refuse to ride in it....and that is not an exaggeration.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great link.

One of the factors I considered in using the Quick Roof material is that since it is backed with a thick malleable aluminum foil, it would make a very good vapor barrier. Of course the edges may get stinky, but I will cross that bridge later....

Concerning price per square foot, the Quick Roof I purchased is 6"x25', or 12.5 sq. ft. for a cost of just $1.04/sq. foot. And since I purchased locally, I didn't have to pay shipping, so it is the least expensive alternative.

I will post my own thread about my progress so far. The results are tangible and I am not even halfway done!

ps, I won't, but let your 'nose' do the recommendation - I have a bad sense of smell and don't have a wife - two factors to consider!

wcdennis wrote:
I can't remember where I first came across this--I'm fairly sure I wasn't on this group. I think it is worth reading before starting on this sort of project:

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
vanagonforever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently doing this project myself and I'm using FrostKing. It is duct insulation that I bought at Lowe's. There are no warning about interior applications and no bothersome smell. Its costs about what a roll of that roofing stuff but I have no idea if it will work nearly as well as bQuiet or whatever. Its cheap enough that its worth a shot to me.

So far I've just got my interior pulled and my passenger door done. I'm hoping to get the rest in there during the next week. For those of you that have done this job before, did you just spray adhesive directly onto the sound deadening stuff when you reapplied your carpet or did you leave metal areas exposed for the glue? Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: