Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pulling out the AC unit... any thoughts?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
krsrns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Pulling out the AC unit... any thoughts? Reply with quote

Hey guys I'm thinking bout pulling out the AC in my vanagon. I just bought the van and I'm in the process of replacing the motor. Its a 88 with a 2.1. The center duct running down the middle of the van has already been removed and the back evaporator is just kinda hangin there. The van has been sitting for about 3-4 years before I bought it 2 weeks ago so I'm guessing the system is empty and has plenty of leaks. I'm looking for any words of wisdom or advice on this subject. I really dont wanna spend too much money on a system that might not work. Thanks.
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're just going to drive the van around town when the weather's not hot, then I guess it's OK to junk the A/C. It's your van so make yourself happy! I would never get rid of the A/C, though. You said you don't want to spend a bunch of money. Yes, it would cost some money to fix your system, but my two cents worth of advice is: "it's worth it."

I see that you live in California. I won't drive in the summertime without A/C in the central valley or So Cal. I've tried it and I almost died baking in the heat like a baked potato in an oven.

The vanagon A/C system works well if you follow Terry Kay's advice in the A/C posts that came up last year. I followed the advice, replaced my receiver-drier, had the system evacuated, then I filled with Red-Tek coolant and Red-Tek leakstop. Now I have COLD A/C in 100 degree weather, and that ain't just whistlin' dixie. I drove the van like this across the Utah, Nevada, and California deserts in the 100-plus summertime and I had to turn the A/C down because it was too cold.

Here's some more of my two cents: the modern 134 refrigerant that every shop wants to put in your A/C system just won't work. I let a good shop recharge my system with that stuff and it was useless. Compresser stole too much power from the 2.1 engine, and the A/C never got cold. Switching to RedTek solved both problems. If you were to fix yours I imagine you would need some or all of the following:

ductwork from junkyard: ($??)
New reciever-drier: $75
Red-tek refrigerant: $75
compressor oil: $10?
Rebuilt compressor (you might not need this, but isn't it worth it?): $350

After you repair everything you might find electrical problems in the A/C system. Blown fuses, bad fan switch, bad resistor (behind the driver's side headlight), so it could cost a little more money. Another $50?

Yeah, it is a hassle, and hundreds of dollars. If you have a beater van that's just for local fun, I suppose you don't need A/C. But if you have a nice van that you want to keep, why make the van LESS functional?

Last edited by funagon on Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the AC last summer... with the center console the kids were able to blast cold air down on themselves and my wife and I were able to stay cool up front. I think it's a pretty nice setup. I you want to salvage it you may do well to search for a thread from 2 or 3 weeks ago where someone tore out their AC... you might be able to buy the tunnel and some other parts from them and you'd both be ahead.
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like mine If I did anything I would do away with the center tunnel and just let it blow out the back. But the only way I would do that is to make room for a pop top.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Funagon,

Any chance you could dredge up a link to those Terry Kay AC posts you mentioned, and post them here?? (Yes, I am feeling lazy . . .)

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rs4-380
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i pulled mine (left the tunnel, and the rear portion, just removed the condensor and the fans) but I live in maine.

less weight is never a bad thing.
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Funagon,

Would you consider posting some photo's of your AC / Red-tek upgrade?

I've been reading the posts and my Bently, but still don't really see the valve for adding refridgerant and oiling the compressor.

trying to keep cool in the summer,
Mark
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well climberjohn, I'm lazy too. That's why I use the search feature! In this case a search for the word "redtek" turned up these results:

http://tinyurl.com/3mg94a

The posts that run on for multiple pages seem to have more info. Terry knows pretty well what he's talking about when it comes to vanagon A/C.

GoWesty claims that the 7-passenger vans have a better A/C system than the pop-tops. I don't know what the difference is other than the fact that the 7-passenger blows cold air directly at the driver, in the front of the van.
krsrns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys thats kinda what I wanted to hear. I have yet to drive my vanagon so I dont know what I'm missing with the AC. In my part of Cali the avg temp is 70 so AC not a big thing but we do get about 30 days of 85 plus. I plan to drive this thing as far away as I can with GAS at $4 a gal. Just lookin to keep what I need.
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No A/C in my westy. PO took it out. I have never missed it, but then again I live at the coast, and I'm just not a big A/C fan. I DO like the extra storage though.
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AC in mine hasn't worked in years. In fact, took the belt off a month ago because it was squeaking like a mofo. haven't missed it around town and i don't think i ever will. I greatly prefer the windows open. Plus, its a little easier on the wallet and doesn't rob any power.

If you plan on driving on the highway a lot in the summer where its hot, id get it fixed. Riding in a wind tunnel after a while gets kinda old and so does not being able to have a conversation with people in the back without shouting. It would be nice to be able to hear the radio without it blasting too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote keep the air-im not a big fan of it BUT that once in awhile time when conditions are at their worse (also wife on board & she has to have air) sure comes in handy. I have used RED-TEK in 3 vehicles & it does the job very well. Simple to do & no problem with oils or seals especially with the older R-12 systems. DONT put R-134 in R12 sys as it will screw it up big time,& if u have good compressor u will be replacing before long. Also adds value to vangn if u sell. my 3cts
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: