Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stock 1200 upgrades?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshua jones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: stock 1200 upgrades? Reply with quote

my 65 has a stock 1200. runs like new. previous owner had rebuild with lots of new parts dist, carb, etc. it runs so well just not enough power. i know i cant expect much out of a 40 horse but does anyone know any affordable upgrades like exhaust or bigger carb maybe? without sacrificing the reliablity of my little sewing machine, thanks
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I judson supercharger would be expensive but really cool.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksfiend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can scrounge up an old 40 horse Kadron manifold they will do wonders. If you cannot find them then you can get a nice new set of weber ICT's for the singleport. This with a little free-er exhaust will wake it up nicely. If you still want more a set 1.4 rockers and heavy valve springs will round out the bolt on goodie package. Or you could just get a Judson Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
ovalvwfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said "set of Webers"...dual single port carbs?? I'd love to juice up my 1100 a bit.
volksfiend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=FSK0001&cartid=1126200598302425
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
ovalvwfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yipes! Pricey! Think I'll keep that cash in my savings for my 1776cc! Thanks for the link tho.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can ream the main jet out of the carb to a larger size. Maybe 1 or 2 sizes larger. It'll use more fuel, but you'll gain a slight noticeable increase.
ovalvwfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea...ream w/ a regular drill and bit? What size bit?
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danny zepeda used to sell a dual carb kit... i think it ran a pair of 28s and mushroom aircleaners (or here) for a 40horse... you might also look @ steph's 4-tip abarth repro. then, there's always the okrasa 40horse kit. i'll admit, though, i'm biased to the old-speed parts. you could likely drop in a stock 1600 for the same price.
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up an old Kadron single port manifold set up with the metal balance tube that ties it all together. I'm thinking of modifying it to fit the smaller diameter, flat intake ports for my 40 horse. Don't forget, the port size and angle is different for 40 horse heads versus later single port heads. Those ICT kits don't fit 40 horse.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A stock 1192 40HP won't have much in the way of improvements from bolt on upgrades. They were designed to be small motors designed for economy instead of performance. I've tried larger main jets before, but never noticed much difference other than worse gas milage. If you put an extractor on it, going up one size in the main jet might help. Some small dual carbs would be better. A bigger single carb won't make much difference, the intake manifold is small, and the heads have small valves. And those old "bugspray" carbs they sold for 40HP are a waste, way overcarbed and not worth messing with.

All of the 40HP motors I've run have had the larger 83mm big bore kits on them, making them 1385cc in size, which helps a lot. There's been many topics devoted to hopping up the 40HP motor on here before, here's a few of them:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130453

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=123839

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=124701

But if you aren't going to keep the 40HP, I'd just live with it the way it is now, enjoy the good gas milage, learn to drive within the car's limitations, while you save for the big motor you want to use.

andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyman_stanley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting stuff...how about the same question on the 1500? what are some easy upgrades? would the dual weber setup help out alot on the 1500's as well or is there a better set up. thanks for the help
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
crazyman_stanley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also would it be worth it to upgrade to dual port heads, or would it make more sense to just get a whole new engine?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWfan1069 wrote:
That's a good idea...ream w/ a regular drill and bit? What size bit?

Not a drill bit. You'll need to purchase a carb jet reamer kit. Just enlarge the jet to 1 or 2 sizes larger. Don't go overboard
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: