Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leak detection kit?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Leak detection kit? Reply with quote

Anyone ever use on of those UV leak kits to detect oil leaks in there Bus or perhaps cooling system of their other driver. I've got my T4 motor that I can't find the leak in it for nothing. Now my 96 Intrepid has a coolant leak that I can't find the source, garage didn't either after $150.

Any thought of buying a kit from eastwood that would be handy with the bus also.

Just wanted some opinions if available

Last edited by DaveB on Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooling system leak tester is not the same as whats used in the oiling system but the principle is the same, it is a dye that luminesces under ultraviolet light, usually from a blacklight.
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and AGAIN I must ask why you paid the garage $150 to fart around with your car and give up on it without finding anything.

"Hey look, Ive got $150 in my wallet, I think Ill just throw it in the street...

Oh you mean I can give it to a repair garage and take a cab to work for two days?

Okay."
DaveB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe kit comes with both dyes to do oil and coolant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer directly, I have had some success with it, yes. Usually it involved leaks that were so minute there wasnt enough fluid to see it any other way. It may show up as just a very slightly glowing gasket in some cases, or a bright tendril coming from a seam, but if the leak is enough to cause a full-on drip, the entire oil trail will luminesce and you wont find the source any easier.
DaveB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The garage found that a hose and thermostat housing wsa leaking so addressed those two things. Problem is it didn't leak from the other side that time and it's back leaking from the other side. Don't believe they cheked it under pressure after fixing the other two.

I ahd just thought about buying this has a way togo back and say look it leakes here.

And would come in handing to find the oil leak in my T4 motor.

So waht I'm asking is if anyone has experience with this type of leak detection
DaveB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coolant is aslow drip that adds up with the car setting for some time. The oil in the bus is from running just a short time and then running down from somewhere.
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveB wrote:
The garage found that a hose and thermostat housing wsa leaking so addressed those two things. Problem is it didn't leak from the other side that time and it's back leaking from the other side. Don't believe they cheked it under pressure after fixing the other two.

I ahd just thought about buying this has a way togo back and say look it leakes here.

And would come in handing to find the oil leak in my T4 motor.

So waht I'm asking is if anyone has experience with this type of leak detection

you know what you can get a Stant cooling system pressure tester for that price and for the cost of them fixing the other leak you might be well on your way to buying the leak detection kit so I say go for it. Just a guess, check the oil cooler on your bus, follow the drip to the highest point.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: