Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring board sunvisors
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Restoring board sunvisors Reply with quote

Hi all, anyone had a swing at restoring an old board sunvisor? I was going to disasemble mine to rechrome the frame and flatten and repaint the board. Anyone had any luck with this? What did you do about replacing the rivets in the frame? Hints tips and suggestions most welcome

Cheers
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the board itself, but those plastic pieces that mount to the body above the windshield. I've had several of those crack & break, so I had an opportunity to cast a few out of aluminum. They look sharp, and I'm sure will last a lot longer than the plastic ones.
Otherwise, the little plastic dustcap on top will come off, and you can clean up that area in there, so they will move easier & better.
But fortunately my visors themselves were in pretty good shape.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the earier ones with the metal mounting points, I don't even know if they made hardboard ones with plastic mounting points Confused Anyway, I'm sure you can find simmilar rivits somewhere. The screw in between the 2 top rivits is what puts tension on the rod to stop it from falling down. Asfar as the hardboard goes, I don't have any good ideas on flattening them out. I was going to try soaking them in water and then press them between cinderblocks, but I really think that would ruin them. Be very careful with the frame aswell, it is very thin where the screw goes through. The frame has a dip there and the screw doesn't even go through the frame, but goes above the frame. These are the ones I redid, not original look, but more fuctionable.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would it be easier to chrome a painted frame than to dechrome and rechrome an original chrome one? the painted ones seem to be fairly common.

mintonman wrote:
I have the earier ones with the metal mounting points, I don't even know if they made hardboard ones with plastic mounting points Confused

I have an early one with a plastic mounting point. it is either early-mid '61 or just a manufacturer difference. the majority of cardboard visors have metal mounting points.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple pic's
#1 This is the thin area of the frame I mentioned earlier.

#2 This is the different marks I found, GHE VW & RG VW.

#3 hard to see, but the broken one is a little wider & sharper on the corners & it is not as pointed at the top of the barrel either. I'm not talking about the cap, but the body itself.

Last edited by mintonman on Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks James and Lind. Im on the look out for a nice painted one too. Thanks for the frame photos, its good to see whats under there. If anyone has any further tips on flattening the boards Id like to know your experience.

Thanks all
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintonman, from what i've encountered, the ones that are marked RG-VW are early post Barndoor, Wolfsburg bus production. yeah, they are shaped slightly different than the GHE ones. The ones in my (Wolfsburg built) 56 Westfalia and my 56 Standard are both RG-VW. the ones in my 59 Westy are GHE. i'd be curious to see what some original 57-58 busses had in them. Lind?
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
mintonman, from what i've encountered, the ones that are marked RG-VW are early post Barndoor, Wolfsburg bus production. yeah, they are shaped slightly different than the GHE ones. The ones in my (Wolfsburg built) 56 Westfalia and my 56 Standard are both RG-VW. the ones in my 59 Westy are GHE. i'd be curious to see what some original 57-58 busses had in them. Lind?

I will check all my buses when I am at the shop next. I have a jan '56, a feb '58, and two jun '58s and an aug '60 all with orginal visors. I have a serious lack of '57 buses right now. one of the '58s has what I assume to be a dealer installed passenger side chrome visor. I also have seven or eight loose visors including one NOS grey unit that I can check for brands. I know that any beige painted visors are '59-mid '61.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hazetguy,
I could have sworn that when I took my others apart, there was a small nut inside the barrel holding it all together, so after reading your post I checked the RG one I have(same as the ones I took apart befor) & there is no nut inside Shocked MY BRAINS ARE FRIED Neutral Laughing That is why I thought the GHE's were older, not to mention, this one looks OLD & it's beat to hell. Thankyou for the input, I would have never check if you didn't say anything.

Here are acouple pic's, the first one will show everyone that doesn't know what we are talking about. You see the squashed metal in the center of the barrel, thats what holds it all together. I thought the RG ones had a small nut, but they DO NOT(thanks hazetguy).
The second pic is of the groove in the end of the arm that slides into the visor. There is a small dent on the backside of the metal frame of the visor. That dent rides in the groove, so if you plan to take them completely apart, you have to spred this piec pretty far apart inorder to get the rod out..............................

mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind,
Is the plastic one real dumb looking? Kinda big & cheap? & do you know if the og gray ones are a beige color under the gray? I have a gray one(RG VW) that looks to be original, but there are 2 spots on the visor that apears to be paint pealing off. The weird thing is, if I try to peal the gray, it feels & looks like paper. I'm thinking OG, but with layers of cardboard pealing off Rolling Eyes
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RG-vw in my 58 hazet.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintonman wrote:
Lind,
Is the plastic one real dumb looking? Kinda big & cheap? & do you know if the og gray ones are a beige color under the gray? I have a gray one(RG VW) that looks to be original, but there are 2 spots on the visor that apears to be paint pealing off. The weird thing is, if I try to peal the gray, it feels & looks like paper. I'm thinking OG, but with layers of cardboard pealing off Rolling Eyes

the plasic based one that I have is very similar in appearance to the metal bases. if the hardboard gets wet, it puffs up a little bit, it is just a pressed paper material. the paint is almost always cracked, even on NOS visors.
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since were all here, Anyone have a set of NOS or just as good Visors for a 57 deluxe hit me up!
CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
<snip> the paint is almost always cracked, even on NOS visors.

My NOS visor is perfect... no cracking.
VWBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The visors in my dad's 58 look like a hammerite type coating on the paperboard. Has anyone tried cutting some visors out of hard cardboard or panel board and painting it with a grey hammerite type paint? I think it would look close to factory, but haven't tried.
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after reading this thread I am going to go ahead and restore the set I have, Sarting with a rechrome job and trying to locate the same fiber board vw used. I found out be taking this visor apart what they used to assemble the Visor and have located the same thing, Will post pictures later when they are done.

CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good good! Keep us up to date. Thanks
SAMBA VAN MAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintonman wrote:
I have the earier ones with the metal mounting points, I don't even know if they made hardboard ones with plastic mounting points Confused Anyway, I'm sure you can find simmilar rivits somewhere. The screw in between the 2 top rivits is what puts tension on the rod to stop it from falling down. Asfar as the hardboard goes, I don't have any good ideas on flattening them out. I was going to try soaking them in water and then press them between cinderblocks, but I really think that would ruin them. Be very careful with the frame aswell, it is very thin where the screw goes through. The frame has a dip there and the screw doesn't even go through the frame, but goes above the frame. These are the ones I redid, not original look, but more fuctionable.

Where did you get the visors from with the perspex centre? Very Happy
Lohe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAMBA VAN MAN wrote:
mintonman wrote:

They look like stock frames with 'perspex' inserts. I would assume he went to a hardware store, bought the 'perspex' and cut them to size?
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lohe wrote:
SAMBA VAN MAN wrote:
mintonman wrote:

They look like stock frames with 'perspex' inserts. I would assume he went to a hardware store, bought the 'perspex' and cut them to size?

I actually ordered the plexiglass online. I got 2 shades to see wich would work out best. I used a dremmil with a cut off disc to cut them out and they work pretty good, but they are starting to get alot of hairline sctratches, so it looks foggy looking through them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: