Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sixties stroker cranks
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sportee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: sixties stroker cranks Reply with quote

other than the okrasa what options are there for 69mm counterweighted cranks for the 40 hp motor. it has to be in the mid sixties era (or earlier).

i know that Empi had a 69mm but no counterweights.
Okrasa had their counterweighted 69mm.
SPG had their roller crank in 69mm.

but who else made one?
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirth comes to mind, but they could have merged with someone else. dont know who that would be. dave.
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: sixties stroker cranks Reply with quote

sportee wrote:
other than the okrasa what options are there for 69mm counterweighted cranks for the 40 hp motor. it has to be in the mid sixties era (or earlier).
i know that Empi had a 69mm but no counterweights.
Okrasa had their counterweighted 69mm.
SPG had their roller crank in 69mm.
but who else made one?

Is that you Chad? I recognize the car in the avatar.

Anyway, don't forget there were also 74mm stroker cranks for the 40hp... although I have yet to find one. I think spg also made a 74mm.

My '67 SCAT catalog lists a crank to make a 40hp in to a '1750cc' motor. They list it as 'theirs'.
http://www.amayesing.com/scat67cat.htm
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sportee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. its me. i am building 2 engines for my car. one 36hp okrasa engine as original and one 69x83 from a 40 hp case for racing (i dont want to blow up the okrasa engine)

im looking for a not-so-rare counterwieght crank with 69mm stroke for the engine but i still have to be in the mid sixties production area for vintage racing.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call DPR machine and have Jose make you one up.. He has done it for me before...
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess when it comes down to it do i have to have a counterweighted crank?

i know that i can use a stock 69mm crank in the 40 hp case. (and they were avilable in 1966)
once its all ballanced how would it compare to a counterwighted crank? im only going to be pushing about 80 hp. and 5000 rpm's max.

i know that counterwieghted is better but im only vintage racing. opinions on counterwieghts vs none?

can anyone comment on the strength of the stock 69mm cranks?
RIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the racing you will be doing how long of a consecutive period will the engine be running above 4500rpm?
Instagram: @rismachine
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jose at DPR as said....counterweighted only, it really doesnt cost that much, its cheap insurance, and he does beautiful work!
sportee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

consecutively above 4500? not sure but it will be running in the higher rpm range. i plan on limiting it at 5000. im sure it will be quite steadilly run betwenn 3500 and 5000. ive never driven a vw full out before so i cant say where the rpms would be.
RIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
consecutively above 4500? not sure but it will be running in the higher rpm range. i plan on limiting it at 5000. im sure it will be quite steadilly run betwenn 3500 and 5000. ive never driven a vw full out before so i cant say where the rpms would be.

Non-counterweighted cranks will hold up to short bursts above 5,000rpm, longer durations at higher rpms will result in diminished case life.

If you're going to limit the engine to 5,000rpm you should be good without counterweights, but if you think there's a chance of seeing above that for any length counterweighting the crank now will be a $$$ saver. Losing races and having to rebuild later is just going to hurt the wallet even more.

I think a 69mm roller crank with aluminum flywheel would be awesome for what you're doing.
Instagram: @rismachine
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a fair number of the 69 stroke 40hp SPGs in my day. Someone was selling new ones just a few years ago for cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a bunch of junk spg cranks out there... I wouldnt buy one if it wasnt NOS or near new. If the mains need polishing, think about what the rod journals need and it's quite expensive to have one of these refurbished. Good ones will cost accordingly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: