Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Matrix paint
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Matrix paint Reply with quote

I was going to go with PPGs concept paint but a local auto paint warehouse has Matrix single stage paint for a lot less money and it is supposed to be similar to PPG. Has anyone had good results with Matrix paint?
Also, they have Northstar paint, which is, basically, for trucks, tractors, and industrial equipment. I know a self-employed painter who has painted a lot of cars with it and the paint looked pretty good when it was fresh. I would expect that it would be pretty dull after a few years. Has anyone used it?
Nessal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matrix is good stuff. I wouldn't give it a second doubt. Good bang for the buck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matrix paint sucks.... Just a cheap line of paint, comparable to Omni, Nason, ect...
Colors don't match worth a crap, transparent basecoats, delamination problems, warrenty,,,, what warrenty!
I've sprayed Matrix for the past 8 years. (because i have to) I was one of the first to use it in Nor-Cal. In fact i turned down a job offered to me from them. That's how i know about Matrix. It's fine for what it is, but put it on a new car or a hotrod,,, nope.. Used cars only. Theirs a reason that about 75% of collison centers out there are PPG certified shops. Ever heard of a Matrix Certified painter? Nope....

Just my .02 worth....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Matrix for over seven years, especially the MS-42 high solids clear. I swear by the stuff and have used it on MANY show cars, as well as dozens and dozens of daily drivers... VWs, Hondas, Fords, classics, junkers, whatever else... I've never had any problems. In fact, I swear by the stuff. I own a body and restoration shop. Never needed to rely on any warranty, never had a comeback.

I have put this stuff on my own cars... BUT- If you want high quality single stage... Use PPG Concept!!! ( not to confuse you) Just prefer the gloss and overall appearance.
Ipaintem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remeber there is always a reason why its cheaper. If quality is a concern, then go with name brand.
One good money saving tip with excellant results, ever thought of Omni base coat and PPG clear. If your doing an al over then matching is not a big concern. Just make sure you have a little left over "just in case" then youll always match. A gallon of Omni base is like $90 bucks or so, thats cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
irestorevws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Matrix for the last couple years for their primers and MS-42 high solids clear. Rave reviews for the products I've used. Their MP2K high build primer fills well, doesn't shrink back and sands easily. I have never used their basecoat but I use Dupont basecoat and sealer then clear with Matrix. I work at a Dupont shop but materials costs have gone up so much I can't afford to use Dupont primers or clearcoats on my projects. I'm doing an oval now and I'll have over a grand in all the materials. Scary.
inthecurl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Ipaintem.
If there is one thing I have leaned especially with auto paint is, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!
inthecurl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Ipaintem.
If there is one thing I have leaned especially with auto paint is, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!
Lee.
Samba Animal Controller

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the cost difference to paint a car using PPG & Matrix?
MiPainter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Stay Away From Martix and Keystone/LKQ Reply with quote

I put in a Matrix system about 5 months ago and have had nothing but trouble since I put it in.

De-lamination problems, color match stinks, and the support is just not there -

Promises after promises after promises not kept

I live in Michigan and when you do have a problem it takes days for them to show up and they have every excuse imaginable as to why the problems occurred

I have been painting fot 23 years and have never experienced the problems that I have had with the Matrix Paint

I would go with PPG or DuPont - Spend the extra money

You Do Get What You Pay For

I am in the process of getting an attorney to get out of the contract

Keystone/LKQ is pushing this junk and I am done with them too!!!!
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished restoring my 1963 VW camper about seven years ago and the dove blue Omni single stage paint that I spayed over the body still looks good.
I am finishing the restoration of my 1959 double door panel and I am thinking of painting it the stock color of light grey. I can use suggestions of a good single stage paint to use that does not cost an arm and a leg.
pwrngr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe firmly in you get what you pay for.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with the Concept, and be done with it. You really do get what you pay for, when it comes to paint.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
AZ65CalBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this stuff on a number of times. Great stuff. The only thing you have to worry about is their clear. It tends to be yellowish when dry. I've had a few left over in a cup and they had a yellow tint to it. I painted a door for a friend on a blue car and the door was a little greenish when done.

Great for painting an entire car. Just don't try to match paint with it. I do like the 2 to 1 ratio on the paint. The clear does lay down good and it is freaking glossy!

I painted this for the first time with Matrix and it came out great!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: