Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

80 or 81 Auto trans info
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: 80 or 81 Auto trans info Reply with quote

I am about to pick up an 80 or 81 Westfalia with a non running but free turning 2.0, FI intact and an auto trans that is said to be bad.

I did a search but did not find alot on the early automatics... quite a bit on the later models.

Does anyone have any info on years that will fit ( later model Bay's?--?)
or any source for rebuilt kits/parts etc.

Anyone know if they are similar to the 411-412 models as I have a friend who rebuilt his 412 unit and said it was really pretty easy to do.

Also what are good shape Vanagon Westies worth nowdays?

Thanks for any responses... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early aircooled vanagons have a differant gear ratio than anything else, so you have to use a Vanagon tranny on them, but putting the tranny on a bay might work. There where autos but they are few and far between.
Both were very solid basic transmissions.
As for swapping with newer vanagons I don't think you can, I can't remember why. I'd love a 5-speed in my 81, but I've never seen it done.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would convert it to a manual but I think that would be alot more hassle and expense than just rebuilding or finding a good used unit out of what ever year will fit.

I am hoping someone knows what years that might be or have a contact in the industry/scrapyards that knows their shit Laughing
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd make sure the one in it is bad, very few people know about aircooled vanagons, could be something simple. They are easier to work on than late bays(room to move wise), but basicly the same setup, if your comfortable with late bays you should be able to tear right into this.
keeping it an auto is a good Idea, Air cooled Westys are about the least expensive of the lot but a very nice example can get 7-8 grand.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will know more when I pick it up tomorrow or Sat and get to checking it out next week. It could be something simple like bad fluid/filter or modulator valve/hose connection etc...

I have worked on Vanagons some but not as much as Bays and I am comfortable tearing into it. Just need some info on trans and parts so I can get it going ASAP when I get it figured out.

Thanks mightyart!
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Pete's sake peep's... no one has any info on auto trans years and compatibility? Rolling Eyes

Laughing Wink

Now I know what it feels like to be an impatient newbie! Embarassed Laughing

CAN'T YOU GIVE ME MY ANSWERS NOW!!!!! Mad Laughing
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that an '80 auto will be identical to my '79 bay auto, but different than waterboxers.
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the aircooled vanagon auto transmission is an 010, nearly identical to a bay auto from 75-79. the waterboxer tranny is an 090, but even it is very similar and could probably be used in a bay, the main difference is in the final drive, on the waterboxer it has a transmission oil cooler which is cooled by the engine coolant, obvioulsly not found on the aircooled vanagon. there are many interchangeable parts between any of the 3-speed automatic transmissions used in all VW's from 75- through the early 90's.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
the aircooled vanagon auto transmission is an 010, nearly identical to a bay auto from 75-79. the waterboxer tranny is an 090, but even it is very similar and could probably be used in a bay, the main difference is in the final drive, on the waterboxer it has a transmission oil cooler which is cooled by the engine coolant, obvioulsly not found on the aircooled vanagon. there are many interchangeable parts between any of the 3-speed automatic transmissions used in all VW's from 75- through the early 90's.

Thanks a heap Scott... that is the kind of info I was looking for.
If anyone else has any other particular do's or don'ts as far as using one year over another or anything they may have run into doing a swap that would be useful info too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: