Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is there a more "desirable" year for ghias?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Is there a more "desirable" year for ghias? Reply with quote

Hi Ghia folks -

I have a '67 bug so I usually hang out in the beetle forum, but I have been thinking about getting a KG, too. Is there a year that is considered a more desirable year? (Or at least a year to avoid - I've heard that a '68 w/autostick ain't the greatest - but that's hearsay)

I'm looking at a '66 supposedly all original yellow and black (like so many are). Just under 100K mi, books and records, around $8,000.

Also, since I'm not up on Ghias, what should I look for in a car (ie: problem areas, quirks, must haves, etc.). The car is in TN so I will have to have photos and such sent to me. I hate not seeing a car in person - but whatcha gonna do?

Thanks!!

Kent

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peterericb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rocker panel/heater channel rust!!!
look AND feel under both doors.

Repaired nose... half the ghias are more bondo than metal in the nose area (bring a fridge magnet) the nose stuck out farther than the bumper, so most have been wrecked on the nose.

Personally I wouldn't buy any ghia for 8,000 unless it was a convertable.

Late 1950s models are the original body style "lowlights" and probably the most sought after.

my favorite body style is the 1970-71 because it still had towel rack bumpers, but was 12V, IRS, Disk brakes, with a DP engine... but most people on here will disagree on that one, they all want 50s lowlights or early 60s swing axle 6V cars... Functionality makes up for big tail lights in my opinion Laughing
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67460
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
Read this:

Wow!! I want the ice blue "low light" convertible! That is awesome!! Wink

Thanks for the feedback, I have heard to watch out for the nose area - a magnet is a good idea!

So $8k for a "cherry" coupe is high? (I dont really know KG values). I have seen verts that SEEM nice for $12 - $15. What are decent, unmolested convertibles fetching? I have looked thru the classifieds and there are a bunch that need quite a bit of work. I'd rather spend a little more on a well-cared for original condition, because I dont really have time for a resto....though it could be fun (or a nightmare!)

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterericb wrote:
...my favorite body style is the 1970-71 because it still had towel rack bumpers, but was 12V, IRS, Disk brakes, with a DP engine... but most people on here will disagree on that one, they all want 50s lowlights or early 60s swing axle 6V cars... Functionality makes up for big tail lights in my opinion Laughing

I think 1969 is the most desirable year (regarding later models). I spent a long time looking for just the right car. You get the styling of the earlier models - towel rail bumpers, bullet turn signals, small tail lights etc combined with 12V electrics, IRS, front disc brakes etc. 1970-on starts to get a bit ugly with the bigger tail lights etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First define what you want it for, then choose the model.
Bella Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waxhead wrote:
peterericb wrote:
...my favorite body style is the 1970-71 because it still had towel rack bumpers, but was 12V, IRS, Disk brakes, with a DP engine... but most people on here will disagree on that one, they all want 50s lowlights or early 60s swing axle 6V cars... Functionality makes up for big tail lights in my opinion Laughing

I think 1969 is the most desirable year (regarding later models). I spent a long time looking for just the right car. You get the styling of the earlier models - towel rail bumpers, bullet turn signals, small tail lights etc combined with 12V electrics, IRS, front disc brakes etc. 1970-on starts to get a bit ugly with the bigger tail lights etc.

I second the 1969 and 1969 1/2 Karmann Ghia Wink
For what was stated above and if your looking for a Vert the early 1969 gives you early style top with the old school crank or 1969 1/2 gives you late style top with glass rear window and hook latches.

I went early 1969 Orange Ghia

Louie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if going early:
1956 Ghia Coupe (1st year)
1958/59 Ghia Cabriolet (1st year/s)
- the original concept, and still late enough to be decent drivers

if going late:
1967 Ghia Coupe
1967 Ghia Cabriolet
- reasons basically as per 67 1500 Beetle, more practical, still maintain a lot of the early styling

OR ANY LOWLIGHT!!
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
if going early:

if going late:
1967 Ghia Coupe
1967 Ghia Cabriolet
- reasons basically as per 67 1500 Beetle, more practical, still maintain a lot of the early styling

OR ANY LOWLIGHT!!

I don't recommend the 1967 because of too many 67-only parts. Some can be adapted; however, it can be daunting if the owner wants to keep the car original.

Personally, 1968 - 1971. IRS transmission and ball joint front end says it all. No boxy bumpers or breadbox-sized tail lights.
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My $0.02: There are two sides to "desirability":

1.) Desirable because of practicality, i.e. the "Daily Driver": to me, it'd be a 1971 Cabriolet. 1,584-cc, dual port power. 12v electrics. Last year of the prettier bumpers. Terrific cars, even for modern motoring.

2.) Desirable due to rarity: one each for me: an all-original, unrestored, late 1955-produced Coupe and an all-original, unrestored, late 1957-produced Cabriolet. The original of the species is to me the purest, most uncompromised form. The workmanship on the earliest cars is amazing, and the details and finishing on them is fascinating. Neither of these Lowlight cars would be prudent to drive everyday. I'd hate to subject one to parking lot door dings and the potential of an errant SUV driver bumping me (while on the phone, doing hair, reading their newspaper, eating McDonald's and yelling at the kids)
Marlonius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way - a strong magnet will still adhere through quite a layer of bondo. I'd recommend bringing the weakest magnet you can find.

With respect to the nose - stick your head inside the trunk and look.

My favourite year: 1969 - for the reasons everyone else mentioned above.

Best of the best: 1969 model year with a 1971 or so dual port 1600 cc engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bella Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
RockStock wrote:
if going early:

if going late:
1967 Ghia Coupe
1967 Ghia Cabriolet

OR ANY LOWLIGHT!!

I don't recommend the 1967 because of too many 67-only parts. Some can be adapted; however, it can be daunting if the owner wants to keep the car original.

Personally, 1968 - 1971. IRS transmission and ball joint front end says it all. No boxy bumpers or breadbox-sized tail lights.

I bow down to anyone doing a 1967!! I started out looking for a 67 because it was the year I was born. Learned real fast about the one off stuff d'oh! and went to the best year/# ever 69 Wink

I had a 73 and 74 vert from around 87-92 and prefer the 69. Would love to know who has my old cars now!!!

Louie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BirdLives
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my 67. Factory 12v, disk brakes, swingaxle. You've been dealing with the one-year only stuff with your 67 bug, it can be done.
I do love the lowlight front end, but like my tailights better. 69 is cool if you remove that unsightly reflector on the back fender. I think the big tailights of the 70's ruin the fender lines, not to mention the chunky bumpers.
This is all just my opinion, it's your opinion that matters.
www.norcalaircooledgroup.com
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrowagen wrote:
<snip> I'd hate to subject one to parking lot door dings and the potential of an errant SUV driver bumping me (while on the phone, doing hair, reading their newspaper, eating McDonald's and yelling at the kids)

that's ditto with the 67 as well!
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy wrote:

It must be different for the '67 bug. Numerous people have told me that it is a very desirable year because of the "one year only" stuff and it was a transition year (new 12v electric, engine upgrade to 53hp, dual circuit master cylinder, backup lights, the end of the towel bar bumpers, etc)

I am not looking for a daily driver. I already drive with white knuckles in my bug on the occasions when I take it out - hoping some fathead in the aforementioned SUV doesnt cut me off because they couldnt see around their f*%#@&! cell phone Mad

I am partial to the old school bumpers over the "Naderized" bumpers, and I also like the smaller taillights. (Rules out the '71s +) The front fenders of the "low-light" Ghias look really cool, but I am a diehard "purist" and wonder how difficult it would be to maintain a 50's car due to scarcity of parts.

I suppose it just boils down to finding a good original car that has been taken care of and not beaten up and molested Shocked (You know what I mean!)

I'd really like a vert ('69ish) but '68 was the worst year for bug engines...is that not the case with KGs? I also have been told to steer clear of autosticks.

Thanks for the feedback. It is very helpful!

Kent

peterericb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autostick = rare...

same problem as a 50s car... hard to find parts and people who know what they are talking about (autosticks scare me and I won't touch one... EVER)

I think the consensus seems to be that people like to talk about lowlights, but they like to drive a 1969+

Me, I rescued my 73 from the crusher and people hate "fat chicks" so nobody attacks me for the shaved trim, aftermarket mirrors, altered ride height, wrong engine, race suspension, gutted interior, etc etc

If you are just buying a car to look at, you should buy the one that looks the best to you... who cares if it is swing axle with old school (i.e. barely functional) brakes and a 6V system??
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Icy wrote:
Read this:

Wow!! I want the ice blue "low light" convertible! That is awesome!! Wink

Thanks for the feedback, I have heard to watch out for the nose area - a magnet is a good idea!

So $8k for a "cherry" coupe is high? (I dont really know KG values). I have seen verts that SEEM nice for $12 - $15. What are decent, unmolested convertibles fetching? I have looked thru the classifieds and there are a bunch that need quite a bit of work. I'd rather spend a little more on a well-cared for original condition, because I dont really have time for a resto....though it could be fun (or a nightmare!)

It may be "too high", but I paid $9,000 for a rust free '67 coupe from Ventura, CA back in July. Hey, in my opinion a car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I am happy that I found a car that doesn't require any welding or other body work since I don't have the skills (or time) to do that myself. Sure, there was some minor buyer's remorse, but after putting about 1,000 miles on it since then, those feelings are long gone. The car never fails to make me smile and/or attract attention from just about everyone else on the road.

As far as '67 having a lot of one-year only parts, that is very true. This only matters, however, if you are concerned with a faithful restoration. The biggest drawback to '67 is the (little known) fact that the rear axle has about a 1.5 or 2 inches wider track and originally came with 4 inch wide rims from the factory. This makes it virtually impossible to fit any of the more popular aftermarket rims on a '67.

I think the best advice to someone who doesn't do a lot of their own repair work is to buy the best car you can afford (or are willing to pay for) - it will always be cheaper than paying someone else to restore it for you.
jwvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I bought, '71 Ghia convertible. As mentioned already. great lines, old school look bumpers yet functional lights. Of course building a 2275 for it with lowered suspension, 4 discs, performance tranny and new rubber doesn't hurt.
JW
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
It may be "too high", but I paid $9,000 for a rust free '67 coupe from Ventura, CA back in July....

Is it the yellow and black one with the ProCar seats?

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a more "desirable" year for ghias? Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Hi Ghia folks -

I have a '67 bug so I usually hang out in the beetle forum, but I have been thinking about getting a KG, too. Is there a year that is considered a more desirable year? (Or at least a year to avoid - I've heard that a '68 w/autostick ain't the greatest - but that's hearsay)

I'm looking at a '66 supposedly all original yellow and black (like so many are). Just under 100K mi, books and records, around $8,000.

Also, since I'm not up on Ghias, what should I look for in a car (ie: problem areas, quirks, must haves, etc.). The car is in TN so I will have to have photos and such sent to me. I hate not seeing a car in person - but whatcha gonna do?

Thanks!!

Kent

For my purposes the '72-'74 are the best. Big bumpers, big ass tailights and side markers for increased visibility. Headrests, retractable three point seat belts, collapsable steering column, double side locking seat tracks and padded dash in case some fool plows into me. But then I plan on driving mine daily to and fro work on So Cal freeways...
--Dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: