Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is there a more "desirable" year for ghias?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:
It may be "too high", but I paid $9,000 for a rust free '67 coupe from Ventura, CA back in July....

Is it the yellow and black one with the ProCar seats?

No, it's not. It is (coincidentally) Castillian Yellow, but no black top (not yet, anyway) and the seats are plain stock (at this point).

While I truly love my '67, I think I will join the others in praising the unique style of the '66 as my favorite. In particular, I love the early style gauges, metal painted dash with that unique trim, and the cool interior door lock mechanism combined with the latch. (I hate that awkward reach around to the back edge of the door to pull the knob up on my '67)

The bottom line, though, is any year Ghia is better than no Ghia!
whobba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Last Year Ghias are the best Reply with quote

I prefer the 72, 3, 4 Ghias the best, because they are the most fun to drive, the parts aren't worth the price of gold, and they're the safest ones since they have the phat bumpers, 3-point belts, airbags and stuff. (kidding about the airbags). Plus you don't have to feel like you're driving a priceless antique VW around town, parts are a dime a dozen, and you can pick one up for a fair price, unlike the 60's and earlier versions. I grew up with the later vintage, and sought one out - finally finding a '73 - - it's one year newer than me so I feel like me and the "fat chick" have alot in common. Now, I hope I don't look as bad as she does after 33 years - - - but I think I do!
Three Pedals
Samba Grammar Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to throw my $0.02 in here.

I like all Ghias, but the later ones would be last on my list. There's a reason the Ghia was the last VW to get those bulldozer-blade bumpers. I also don't much care for the huge parking lights on the '70s and '71s, and the '68s and '69s have the round reflectors...gag. I'd love to have a low-light, but wouldn't want to deal with the inevitable nose repairs. So, the '60 through '67 Ghias are my personal favorite. I lean toward the '67, for obvious reasons, but would have to do something about the axle shafts if I were to buy one.

As far as the Autostick goes: I investigated a '72 Super Beetle as a possible German Look project awhile back, but passed on it when I discovered it was an Autostick. A classic example of rare isn't always better.

The preceding is just my opinion. Whatever sort of Ghia you pick, enjoy it!
svt3ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I bought a 73 coupe because it was all I could afford. Floors good, nose mostly metal, but the right front torn off. Did the body work on my own. Added seat belts for my kids in the back. New rims, tires & bumpers off of ebay. Went to a couple VW road rallys with the family. Olympic blue paint at the local MAACO in the spring. Thus - a fun ride for @ $1500 total.

Yep - 1973 has been a pretty good year for me.

Good luck on your quest..I'd hold out for a convertible though.
Bella Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

svt3ghia wrote:
Olympic blue paint at the local MAACO in the spring.

Yep - 1973 has been a pretty good year for me.

Good luck on your quest..I'd hold out for a convertible though.

Olympic blue paint is Chrome Blue on my 69 (L 51 code) Not a big color for Ghia's. Glad to see you go stock colors!!

Your name...svt3ghia. Is that to go with your SVT Contour/Focus or Mustang? Or truck, maybe?

About the 68-69 side red reflectors. I am not a fan of them. Not sure if I will keep them when I paint or fill them in??

Louie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Three Pedals
Samba Grammar Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bella Ghia wrote:
About the 68-69 side red reflectors. I am not a fan of them. Not sure if I will keep them when I paint or fill them in??

I'd fill 'em in. Especially if you switch to a set of pushbutton door handles. Then you'd have a pretty reasonable facsimile of a '67!

Now, what do y'all think of the woodgrain decal on Ghia dashboards?
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a more "desirable" year for ghias? Reply with quote

The wood veneer?? Hate it. Just got done removing it. Will end up painting the dash.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a more "desirable" year for ghias? Reply with quote

I wonder what the thinking was on the fake wood veneer. Seems very un-German.

I redid the veneer on my car when I restored it. Thought about the painted look. The veneer looks Ok and gives the car that dated vintage 70s originality charm.

Its in the same category as vinyl roofs and some of the funky 70s car colors that were available form VW and other manufacturers back then.
CruisinMark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a more "desirable" year for ghias? Reply with quote

I have owned my 71 convertible for 18 years. I love the look of the blade bumper cars and actually quite like the look of the 70 / 71 rear lights. I removed the rear reflectors because I thought that they spoiled the rear end and am considering changing to bullet indicators on the front when I paint it, hopefully next year. I am not a big fan of the 72 - 74 cars because of their huge rear lights, heavier bumpers and their black dash. My dash is painted, giving the car an earlier look, but with the later running gear for a more enjoyable drive.

I like the glass rear window, the IRS rear end and the fact that they came stock with head restraints.

IMHO, a Ghia is a Ghia though. Whether early or late, perfectly painted or a daily driver, I appreciate them all. With today's modern vehicles I don't think that a slightly beefier bumper would make much difference in a real crash. Most modern vehicles (ie tracks and SUVs) are so high they would go right over my bumpers rendering them useless.
dclaxon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a more "desirable" year for ghias? Reply with quote

I didn't realize there were differences in the years until after I bought my '70 convertible about 5 years ago. (Actually, I may have known something about the mid-'69 roof change.) And it doesn't really matter, I still love it. I didn't set out looking for a Ghia, just something small and cheap to drive to take some of the load off my V-6 F150 (which is now up to 284,000 miles.) When I found this one, it was built the same year I graduated from high school, and after I got it home I found the build tag under the trunk liner and it was built the same month I graduated. (After I sent off for the birth certificate, I found it is actually about 3 weeks older than my diploma.) So I had to put these license plates on it so I could drive it to the class reunion last year.

Also my dad had a '62 Ghia convertible when I was in Jr High, that was supposed to be my first car when I got my license, if he had ever got around to putting the new clutch in it.

Dave
mfitzsimor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a more "desirable" year for ghias? Reply with quote

I've had two '69 Ghias. I studied and shopped around - the '69 seemed to offer the best combination of early and late attributes that were important to me:

12V electrical system
CV joint IRS rear suspension
Front disk brakes with ball joint front suspension
4 bolt wheels
Front seats with head restraints
External fuel fill
Crescent shaped tailights
Bullet shaped front turn signals
Overrider bumpers
86 quantum syncro
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a more "desirable" year for ghias? Reply with quote

Well that was a simple question. What you have basically is 19 different recommendations...one for every year the KG was manufactured. Wink

Buy the best one you can find in your price range...they're all Karmann Ghias.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a more "desirable" year for ghias? Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:

I redid the veneer on my car when I restored it. Thought about the painted look. The veneer looks Ok and gives the car that dated vintage 70s originality charm.

Its in the same category as vinyl roofs and some of the funky 70s car colors that were available form VW and other manufacturers back then.

hated the look of the veneer on ghias until I owned one.... I was adamant I'd take it off if I owned one, but now that I actually own one and experience it's charm up close and personal I really like it.. Maybe it's just me being biased but it seems the grain on mine is deeper and richer than others I have seen that really look hokey...Laughing

oh and in my unbiased opinion it's hard to beat the year of 1969... even wrote a song about it Cool
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a more "desirable" year for ghias? Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:
NOVA Airhead wrote:

hated the look of the veneer on ghias until I owned one.... I was adamant I'd take it off if I owned one, but now that I actually own one and experience it's charm up close and personal I really like it.. Maybe it's just me being biased but it seems the grain on mine is deeper and richer than others I have seen that really look hokey...Laughing

oh and in my unbiased opinion it's hard to beat the year of 1969... even wrote a song about it Cool

If you have seen the Wheeler Dealers episode where they restore a Ghia, Ed China comes to a similar conclusion. He somewhat mocks the new veneer that Mike obtains from KGP&R. However once he has it installed he admits that he likes the look.
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a more "desirable" year for ghias? Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but it's a really good topic. Smile

My favorite ghia years are 1969 (last year of the "nipple" front blinkers and smaller taillights, first year of IRS), 1966 (last year of short axles and painted dash, first year of ball joint front end, only year with horizontal dash trim), and all lowlight ghias (56-59). That said, however, you can always modify your ghia to suit your needs and or personal aesthetic.
mc2NY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a more "desirable" year for ghias? Reply with quote

mfitzsimor wrote:
I've had two '69 Ghias. I studied and shopped around - the '69 seemed to offer the best combination of early and late attributes that were important to me:

12V electrical system
4 bolt wheels
External fuel fill
Overrider bumpers

Well hell.......since this zombie thread got revived, I will chime in.

I've owned around 20 Ghias since the late 70s. My fave year are the '69's for the above reasons. Plus, the 1969 1/2 verts are the first with the drop down rear glass windows.

Plus the '69s must be time machines because I still seem to be only 40 y.o. 😀
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a more "desirable" year for ghias? Reply with quote

mc2NY wrote:
mfitzsimor wrote:

12V electrical system
4 bolt wheels
External fuel fill
Overrider bumpers

I've owned around 20 Ghias since the late 70s. My fave year are the '69's for the above reasons. Plus, the 1969 1/2 verts are the first with the drop down rear glass windows.

Laughing

although I don't have the birth cert on my car yet going off the vin I think it was made June '69 so I just missed the glass window.. not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but I do know replacement pieces are expensive for the glass
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a more "desirable" year for ghias? Reply with quote

mc2NY wrote:
mfitzsimor wrote:

12V electrical system
4 bolt wheels
External fuel fill
Overrider bumpers

That's it. I am selling my 71 and buying a 69! Its a good number even without the time machine!
cafemiguel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a more "desirable" year for ghias? Reply with quote

Kent:you're not new at this, you already had a 66 and a few other models, If you really want it, you'll pay for it; I purchased mine literally on-line with a dozen messages back & forth via "The Samba" from Louisvill Ky, no dings anywhere on the car, drove all of Kentucky, all Tennessee, Georgia and then on to Miami for shipment to Puerto Rico; I picked it up in San Juan, PR and drove home,THATS when I found out I had "0" brakes, no worry, no accidents; to make a long story short I paid $8000 and although i'v invested in brake cylinders & a master cylinder, the brake pads and shoes all around were literally new; the car is what I WANTED, MY DREAM and with all the little nuances, these little problems are what you're going to encounter and have to deal with, it's called THE FUN PART of owning a vintage VW. Read Gary's thread submitted by our master EVERETTB.

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Hi Ghia folks -
I have a '67 bug so I usually hang out in the beetle forum, but I have been thinking about getting a KG, too. Is there a year that is considered a more desirable year? (Or at least a year to avoid - I've heard that a '68 w/autostick ain't the greatest - but that's hearsay)

I'm looking at a '66 supposedly all original yellow and black (like so many are). Just under 100K mi, books and records, around $8,000.

Also, since I'm not up on Ghias, what should I look for in a car (ie: problem areas, quirks, must haves, etc.). The car is in TN so I will have to have photos and such sent to me. I hate not seeing a car in person - but whatcha gonna do?

Thanks!!

Kent
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a more "desirable" year for ghias? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Diggin deep in the dead thread department. Rolling Eyes

I find it interesting that nearly 15 years ago Kent wanted a '66 Ghia.
Now he has one.
But, I "heard" that he paid a bit more than the 8 grand he was facing in 2005.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: