Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flat 4
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark............it's probably an attitude conflict. You can't say anything without someone having a different opinion or taking it as an assault on their intellegence. Nothing I said was meant to be personal until someone made it so. Personally, I don't care, but it is still difficult for me to believe that somebody who has all the answers has to ask the questions to begin with. If you have your mind made up.......don't ask the question. Obviously, I could have said almost anything except what the person wanted to hear and I would have been attacked. Coad stated it perfectly; don't shoot the messenger. This forum is not meant to be the Rants......if I have an issue with someone I would take it there. Thankfully we didn't have to go that way. I will continue to give my opinions as such; and if you have a problem with them don't feel I take it personally......I would just hope that I get equal consideration as well.
Ram4Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
Take a guess........... Rolling Eyes

53, I share the same frustation with Pennywise with this kind of "info" This is where the thread went to hell, and my remark was a reference to this. In retrospect, not a good choice of words on my part. Just wanted some info on something I knew nothing about, one liners like that aren't much help. I was looking for anyone's opinion(yours included) and got a Rants type answer from you. Wish it had gone different, no hard feelings.

Sam
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right Sam......."Take a guess" was meant to be a rhetorical response to the obvious as I saw it. I did not mean to be glib or trite and I can see how that might be misconstrued as such. The computer and Emotiocons can produce the wrong response in people and I apologize for that. What I meant, and what came across, was different. I will try to be more precise in my answers. It did get out of hand, and I am equally as guilty in that regard. There was no hidden agenda here.........just the facts as I saw them......based on personal experiences and observed facts that I did not feel the need to explain. I am truly sorry to have pushed your buttons as that was not my intent. Embarassed

Bob
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
I've seen Jeff and Lanny put some pretty big power to the ground at SIR as well. I think it was the later wheels that they had so much trouble with.......also Speedwell produced some BRMs that were a higher quality and a wider pattern. Maybe that's what they were using. Ask around and get back with us. The SoCal drag scene avoids them like the plague.

The only BRMs Speedwell made were 95%+ magnesium. You may be thinking of the MWS fake BRMs. Geoff, Lanny, Darren, et. al. had their FFF BRMs before the MWS ones were available here. I think Geoff sold his, Larry still has his for street use only, and Darren used to lay down 230hp on his FFF BRMs. After he suggested they were getting far too common, I set him up with some late 6x15 Fuchs. Fronts were chopped to 4.5". Savings: over 20lbs of rotating weight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mk-Zero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, I'm glad I ran into this thread. I was thinking about buying the FF repro BRM's that CB Performance sells in 6.5x15. So is the consensus that those particular wheels are junk? Eventually my car will be putting down some serious power (well into the 300's). Would those be a bad chioce?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mk-Zero wrote:
wow, I'm glad I ran into this thread. I was thinking about buying the FF repro BRM's that CB Performance sells in 6.5x15. So is the consensus that those particular wheels are junk? Eventually my car will be putting down some serious power (well into the 300's). Would those be a bad chioce?

I would say bad choice.......but ask the guys who race and the speedshops who know the product. Wink
mk-Zero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
mk-Zero wrote:

I would say bad choice.......but ask the guys who race and the speedshops who know the product. Wink

It is a little surprising to me though. On CIP's website it says these wheels are made for FF by Enkei, who's wheels are generally of decent quality. In fact, I think the new EVO's came with Enkeis. Hmmm, maybe they make the FF BRMs out of recycled Coke cans, lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DSF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enkei makes some good stuff, but maybe they're made for Enkei by monkeys with little wooden hammers, then sold to Flat 4... who knows?

Maybe it's a now fixed production problem, but it's too late to contain the reputation damage... who knows?

If you're not dropping the clutch on a sticky ass track with gummy slicks, maybe it's not a problem... maybe it is.

Glad I could clear things up.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
53 0val wrote:
I've seen Jeff and Lanny put some pretty big power to the ground at SIR as well. I think it was the later wheels that they had so much trouble with.......also Speedwell produced some BRMs that were a higher quality and a wider pattern. Maybe that's what they were using. Ask around and get back with us. The SoCal drag scene avoids them like the plague.

The only BRMs Speedwell made were 95%+ magnesium. You may be thinking of the MWS fake BRMs. Geoff, Lanny, Darren, et. al. had their FFF BRMs before the MWS ones were available here. I think Geoff sold his, Larry still has his for street use only, and Darren used to lay down 230hp on his FFF BRMs. After he suggested they were getting far too common, I set him up with some late 6x15 Fuchs. Fronts were chopped to 4.5". Savings: over 20lbs of rotating weight.

These are the Speedwell wheels I was referring to: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=254440
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:

These are the Speedwell wheels I was referring to: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=254440

The guy in that ad is pretty ignorant:

"For sale are these made in Speedwell London brms made in England"

Is Speedwell a place in London?

Note, all aluminum BRM copies have nothing to do with the Speedwell company from the 60s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
53 0val wrote:

The guy in that ad is pretty ignorant:

"For sale are these made in Speedwell London brms made in England"

Is Speedwell a place in London?

Note, all aluminum BRM copies have nothing to do with the Speedwell company from the 60s.

I have seen these "Speedwell" repros and they are wider(6 1/2") and they are well made compared to the Flat 4s. I think that they much stronger as well.
thebucket
Samba Stockbroker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends has a flat four shifter that snapped in half at the track. Thats why I'm going Berg. And as far as 53 Oval goes. He has been nothing but helpful to me in the past. Don't take Bob's Rolling Eyes personally. Flat Four are shit. And have ruined there name just like Empi has with its new stuff Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:

I have seen these "Speedwell" repros and they are wider(6 1/2") and they are well made compared to the Flat 4s. I think that they much stronger as well.

The MWS repro BRMs were/are not made in a 6½" wheel. The widest wheel MWS made was 5½". Again, nothing to do with "Speedwell".
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
53 0val wrote:

The MWS repro BRMs were/are not made in a 6½" wheel. The widest wheel MWS made was 5½". Again, nothing to do with "Speedwell".

Then Bruce......you and I are talking about two different wheels. I know for a fact that there were 61/2" wheels because saw Rich Kimball mount them on his '67. They were from England and not Flat 4s. Rich said they were Speedwells and they were early production because they wanted Rich to promote them. He had another set that he sold to Jeff or Lanny as I remember at The Classic four years ago I believe. I'll check with Rich when I see him this weekend and get back with you. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: