Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sticker or no sticker
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ericthenorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a little plaque on the dash of my '60 bug from a korean war era trainer plane that said that pilots window must be closed at 150mph, and went on to tell which acrobatic manuvers were allowed...... Got some real good looks from passengers...... Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stickers on a motorcycle helmet say:

I've done this a thousand times and no one's been hurt .... (much).

It went earth, sky, eath, sky earth, sky, ambulance.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, many of my favorite topics in one thread!

I have a 1950s-1960s Swiss made Allegro that I have had for some 30 years. I do not ride it enough anymore and it has tight high narrow gearing which I was used to in college. Not no more...

My van has no stickers on the outside. But some (clown?) PO stuck about 20 on the inside. Where's the sense in that? It has taken several hours to get most of them removed. Now not even my licensce plate frame says anything on it.

For homemade stickers you can get rubbery glues at the art supply and stick them to the inside of the windows.

Got to love it....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Ericthenorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also used what is sold as clear contact paper(even though it is plastic) and cut a piece just slightly larger than you need, then just stick it on the inside... Very Happy Very Happy

I was riding 48x18, but now with all the hills around my house, I have gone to 42x18 A little slower in the straits, but I don't have to walk it half the time now... Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for a ride just this morning at San Felasco park in Alachua FL, I found this Thule rack not to long ago at local bike shop. It is actually made just for the Vanagon, also lists fitting Volvo station wagons. Thule discontinued it in 2004 so find what is out there. It is great 'cause you can open and close the hatch with it mounted, no goofy cloth straps. As you can see I advocate the stickers of interests.

Gratuitous front pic of Van at her home.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/url]
M_atthewanderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use just inkjet sticker paper at your local office depot, staples, or whatever and use pigment based ink available for most Epson printers and the rain will not wash that away.

INK
http://www.epson.co.jp/e/technology/print_permanence_inkspapers.htm
.PAPER
http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?id=922811

My brother and I would do this all the time. Works great for getting back at people who sleep with your friends girlfriend.

The bikes great too when the van breaks down, just push it off the road and bike
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just gotta report that reading this thread prompted me to get off my butt and ride to work today. First time in weeks. Boy, am I out of shape. Shocked

Thanks, y'all. Very Happy
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ericthenorse wrote:
Atala track bike

Wow, In my early teens, I used up two Atala Giro d'Italia road bikes, That model was crap though, Simplex Derailleuers Crying or Very sad And the frames didnt hold up well to offroad trails. Early 'cross?

My SS mtn bike is 34x18. The frame has verticle dropouts and I didnt want to spoil the clean look with a Surly Singulator type thing so I picked a ratio that fit the right length of chain.

The Peugeot is 52xsomething in the middle of the stack. Did I say I didnt ride it?
Beaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice van VWJEDI! That Thule is almost the same as mine. I've mounted mine up higher so that the bottom rests in the indent on the hatch, and the top rests on the hatch above the glass. I was worried about a good bump putting the rear window into the cargo area (then again, my van is 25 years old....)

Out of shape? I blew my knee out in July (racing) and finally got it scoped/fixed last week. I'm dreading getting back in the saddle. My lungs are gonna hate me.

The gearing on my 24" is 39/15, FYI (for those that don't already know) the gear ratio formula is: Chainwheel (39) divided by rear sprocket (15) X wheel diameter (24) = 62.4
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaker wrote:
Nice van VWJEDI! That Thule is almost the same as mine. I've mounted mine up higher so that the bottom rests in the indent on the hatch, and the top rests on the hatch above the glass. I was worried about a good bump putting the rear window into the cargo area (then again, my van is 25 years old....)

Out of shape? I blew my knee out in July (racing) and finally got it scoped/fixed last week. I'm dreading getting back in the saddle. My lungs are gonna hate me.

The gearing on my 24" is 39/15, FYI (for those that don't already know) the gear ratio formula is: Chainwheel (39) divided by rear sprocket (15) X wheel diameter (24) = 62.4

Thanks Beaker, I found a shop that had the "vesuve Grey" paint code, had 'em mix it up and I sprayed and cleared the bumpers,grill and fire extinguisher to match. I think it gives her a clean look.

My MTN bike back at her place of rest after a morning of abuse.

This is my '97 Diamondback Responce. My freinds call it Fraken-bike because she is put together with a rebuilt Noleen air shock and no other part is original except the frame. In 8 years evrything has worn out or broken, I love it because it gives me good excuse to uprgade things like XT derailures, hubs, Avid disc brake and stuff. North Florida actually has alot of amazing trails if anyone kinda local wants to ride out. Cool
Beaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Jedi!!! I was trying to post a pic of my bike and it somehow ended up on your post (over top of your pic)! The Force is not with me today. Must be the painkillers....... Sad
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually that is just where I quoted you. Click the FAQ/help tab and it will walk you through posting issues nicely. Wink
PNW Westy Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my fixed I am riding 42x16. Was riding 42x18 which is the popular gear combo hear in Porltand, but I gave that cog away. Easier to go 20-21 with a 16. . . My SS Fat Chance is 32x16. Works great on single track, not so great on pavement.

The Stickers that came on my Westy - "Tuolomne" and a sticker from Squaw Valley. I'm guessing someone was into Yosemite and the Sierras.
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNW Westy Owner wrote:
On my fixed I am riding 42x16. Was riding 42x18 which is the popular gear combo hear in Porltand, but I gave that cog away. Easier to go 20-21 with a 16.

Thanks for the gearing info. I also like a 16 in my cogset. It makes a nice sweet spot between the 15 and 17. I think I'll look around for a flippable rear hub that I can mount two gears on: a 16 and a 17.

Anyone using stickers to cover up rust spots? I'd try it, but I'd need a lot of stickers... Sad
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Vanagon has a series of tiny dings on one side from PO. I bought one of those packets of bullet hole stickers and disguised them. When I caravaned to Bulli Bregade I got so much flak for them I peeled them off at a gas station, now I show my ding scars with pride. Wink
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, there have been mornings when i too feel like burying my bike in a pile of rusty sheetmetal.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
cnskate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss my old Dart, those pre 73s had nice lines. My wife thought it was butt ugly though.
Phil G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a few from Southern California in the 70's:

Jesus Saves . .
Blue Chip Stamps

Beautify America;
kill A Redneck

Folks were so thoughtful of other's feelings back then ..

And about the 70's:

The Name's ames,
I Smoked The J In The 70's
HerrBGone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil G wrote:
The Name's ames,
I Smoked The J In The 70's

I thought that was William efferson Clinton? I guess there was a lot of that going around back then. Rolling Eyes

When I bought Thunder there was a firefighter’s union sticker on the back window from his PO. It was still there for several weeks after I bought him. I was quite surprised to find that it has mysteriously disappeared. I had planned to keep that and had worked it into the design. Since I’m going to have at least two custom cut vinyl stickers made for the van I went to the trouble of sketching up what I want. When that one went AWOL I had to revise the plan. I’ll post a picture if I ever get around to actually doing all this.

Since the driver’s door has been closed to only the first click on no less than three separate occasions when I and a passenger are both absolutely certain that I had closed and locked it, I think the PO may be playing games. Anybody ever see the classic movie Gaslight?

BTW, all of the new stickers will be going on an easily removable custom cut plexi panel mounted inside the back window. (I may have mentioned that…)

A fellow wanderer on the road less traveled

Fritz, '71 Superbeetle
Galileo, '98 New Beetle
Thunder, '85 Vanagon Westfalia (full camper)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: