Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding a tach - what are you guys using?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Adding a tach - what are you guys using? Reply with quote

This one's for you guys who have a huge freaking clock in your dash instead of a tach. How many of you have added one in? Any good install placement pics to share? I'm thinking someone might want to buy my van a new present for Christmas Smile
pocvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at Mightyart's gallery pics. He put in a tach where the clock is. Looks awesome! Much better than those huge tachs that you have to mount somewhere on your dashboard.

1980 VW Westfalia
Ericthenorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks liek you have a late model...(if that is your van in the avitar) You should be able to get a tach at the wrecking yard and put it in... The wires are already there in the plug on the back of the dash, they are not used by the clock, but they are there. Disregard if you have '85 or older... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So on 86+ vans, the tach is a direct plug and play?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow Rabbit wrote:
So on 86+ vans, the tach is a direct plug and play?
You got's to look at the wiring diagram, to be sure.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Ericthenorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.... I just double checked my advice..... The wires are still in place in the HARNESS..... if you get a tach at the yard, you must also get the printed circut from the back. Apparently they internally terminate the tach lead(on the printed circut) in the non tach models. They are too cheap to make two different harnesses....

The same thing works with other H2O cooled VW's... if you have an A1 or A2 jetta/rabbit, then you can drop a dash from a tach model right in and it will work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I put in, was cheaper when I bought it.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Brow...01/c-10101
Here's the Thread with pictures:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118110&highlight=clock+attack
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a tach - what are you guys using? Reply with quote

shenan-agon wrote:
This one's for you guys who have a huge freaking clock in your dash instead of a tach. How many of you have added one in? Any good install placement pics to share? I'm thinking someone might want to buy my van a new present for Christmas Smile

I only know about my earlier model van (an '84). I got the tach and circuit board out of an '85 and plugged it in. I just had to move around a bunch of wires in the harness plug (this was the harded part). Otherwise, great addition. You also might need to run a tach wire from the - terminal of the coil to the dash. In mine, there was a plug waiting for it in the dash... you later model might hopefully be already wired up for it.

Good luck,

-Damon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: