Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Going to look at a Thing today...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
njpjlthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Going to look at a Thing today... Reply with quote

I have wanted a Thing for so long and am going to look at one today. I have been reading this site and many others and doing my research on this vehicle and am so excited. It is a 74 that is actually for sale on thesamba.com here is the link:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=242209

Please let me know what you all think. He has told us that it is rust free and that it runs well. Looks kinda crappy in the picture, but that doesn't mean anything.

What are the main things I need to look for, ask, etc.
Please help me out so that I do not get ripped off.

Thank you so much!
Jaimee:)

Last edited by njpjlthing on Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the front beam and bulkhead carefully. Rust is the enemy!
mytype181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the windshield frame for rust or any type of damage.

The front nose (trunk area) for any previous damage.

Fenders... Original metal? Or aftermarket fiberglass?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Thing has a full roll cage that goes up to the windshield. Depending on what you want to use the car for this is could be a good thing. Check under the battery for rusty pan. Lift all mats and check for rust. Poke the quarter panels good fro rust check. Check ALL electrical functions. Electrical functions especially wiper motor are common on the Thing. The wiper motor is not cheap. A missing top and side curtains will cost you a nice chunk of bucks. I say offer less than $3K and see if there is room for negitiation. For $3K you should have a running Thing that has all major systems funtioning and no major parts missing. YOu can pay as much as $2K for the "right" top and side curtains... Check this car out again and post what you find and let the group here be the judge and jury.. $3K is the standard price for a Thing that has all parts in tact and can be driven home. K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
njpjlthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help! We are going to check it out and see if it is worth it. He said he would not go below $3,000. It can be driven home, but does need new tires/top. I wanted a roll bar for safety. I do have children that will be riding in the car from time to time. What do you guys think about roll bars? Will it make it safer? I will not be off roading or anything really, so I wouldn't need roll bars for that. Are roll bars good/bad? Thanks for the input. I will let you guys know what we see. Thanks!
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roll bars are good. Aside from giving overhead protection in case of a turn over, they also seem to reduce vibration. John Muir has a great procedure for deciding if you will buy a VW or not. First, prior to driving, sittiing in or even opening the door, DO you love this car? Second, make a list of the needed repairs and add that to the purchase price and decide if you are willing to invest that amount in this car that you have already decided you love. The last ten VWs I bought I had already decided to buy prior to driving the vehicle. My advantage is I know where to look for the expensive or difficult to fix areas. I like the roll bar on the Thing you are considering. I also like that the suspension seems to be sitting in a good postion. Both of the stock mirrors are missing. The nose looks clean and straight although the front mounted spare tire is blocking part of the view. It looks like the car has factory accessory front driving lights. The car looks like it is straight. Poke around the body in front of rear tires (inside the fender walls) that is a common rust out spot. If it is solid there other major rust damage is unlikely.
njpjlthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just talked to the guy and he said that the windshield wipers don't work, and then said that usually they don't because they get rained on, is this right? Windsheild is good, no rust or bends. He did say there was rust on the pan, but none on the body, some bulbs need to be replaced for the lights, and there are a few dings on the fenders (which are metal). He said they are all fixable and nothing major. The seats are in good shape, just need to be cleaned. Still haven't seen it, but wanted to see what you guys thought. I'm thinking it is not worth $3K from some of the responses. He kind of changed his tone when I started throwing out questions and sounding like I knew what I was talking about. (Even though I really don't and am just learning.) I was just asking the questions you all gave me. Thanks for the help guys! I would love some more imput before I go to see it this afternoon. You're the best!
njpjlthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
Both of the stock mirrors are missing. The nose looks clean and straight although the front mounted spare tire is blocking part of the view.

Thanks kubelmann for your quick responses and advice. (VERY good advice Thank you!!!) He did mention the mirrors and how to fix them w/ the Samba mirrors, (don't know if I want to do that)I have been reading about that and it doesn't seem that easy to find the correct ones. He said that under the tire where it is bolted the bolt cracked the fender and it needs to be welded. I don't believe that there is any other damage than that under that tire. I will find out this afternnon. Thanks again!!!
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

njpjlthing wrote:
I just talked to the guy and he said that the windshield wipers don't work, and then said that usually they don't because they get rained on, is this right?

The only way the motor gets rained on is if the top is left open out in the rain. If the car is left open in the rain, it is no wonder the pan is rusty. How rusty? Take a screwdriver with you and start poking (from underneath if there is carpet) with special emphasis on the spots lowest to the ground. The seats need to be cleaned - maybe because the top was left open in the rain. You will want to check for mold/mildew/rust under the seat where you sit. If the interior has been rained on enough to damage the wiper motor, I would be concerned with the wiring behind the dash, the switches, the signals, etc. One place rust is common that hasn't been mentioned yet is the rocker panels closest to the rear fenders. If you see blisters under the paint at this point, it is only a matter of time before they erupt - it's happened on both my Things.

Good luck!

Mark
njpjlthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark! I will let you guys know what I find when I get home tonight. I have a huge list of what to look for and check thanks to you guys.
Thank you all very much!
Revis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Thing Reply with quote

I've seen the car and the guy is very honest about what's wrong with it. The rust is at the battery tray. I own 2- 73 Things and the car is worth about what he's asking for it. There is no carpet, so you can see the floor pan. I'm not a mechanic or a body man, but I would not be afraid of this car in any way. I looked at it for a friend in northern Cal and he buys and sells Things. If I was in the market for another Thing. I would buy this car. Good luck, hope to meet ya some day soon.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a Thing in Yuma for sale. Its on Samba at

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=229088

Sound like a good one. K-mann[url][/url]
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like someone has converted that yuma thing's rear wheels to 4 lug.
I wonder what the story is behind that.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Going to look at a Thing today... Reply with quote

bl,
huummmm, based on a one pic ad.....and not all that great to begin with, and a very dark exposure of the rear quarter of the vehicle.....I am wondering how you are noting 4 lug wheels on the rear of this Thing?
Am I missing some pics or postings somewhere else?
Maybe your angle of exposure from the Great White North lends itself to noting these sorts of details.
:-))
I'm entranced, enthralled,.......and very, very curious how and why you would note this detail.
Please enlighten me.....and other southern residents of the continent.
Regards,
ztnoo
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the wheel style. Definitely not a wide five wheel, but a wheel which is still available in four lug pattern.
although, it could be on adapters. the rear fenders are widened which would disguise the additional track width.

2%
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blew up the pic and I see a five lug rim on the thing.

What would worry me is if anyone hit anything with that spare tire it will dent the front end. Makes the bumper worthless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's make sure we are talking about the same car- the YUMA thing has non-standard rear wheels. the one k-mann posted.
The PHOENIX Thing has the front-mounted spare.

2%
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I was talking about the one in Phoenix.
Yes the one in Yuma looks like a four lug rim, but it might be a conversion to the Porshe 5 lug. But I doubt it, more improvements would have been done to one with a Porshe 5 lug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Reply with quote

Revis wrote:
...There is no carpet, so you can see the floor pan.

Carpet? What's a carpet?
njpjlthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for all of your help. I ended up buying a 73 from mytype181 that was advertised on this site. He made us an offer we couldn't refuse. We'll see how it works out. I'll post pics when it gets here. I'm sure I'll be back to ask questions when it gets here because I need to hookup the battery and some wiring. I also would like to put a roll bar in it. (Once I get it to run) I don't want the show bar from the Thing Shop, because I need protection for my kids. If anyone has any recomendations on the best way to go about puting a roll bar in Thanks again!
Jaimee:)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: