Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

winter bites
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: winter bites Reply with quote

so this cold is not friendly to vws here in New England. Since my 60 is still 6v it hats the single digets when its trying to start. i practly killed the battery today starting the thing to go to school today. everything is getting tight and more and more nosies are poping up everywhere. the speed-o, the hood release cable, bumper brackets, everything is worse in the winter. in the summer i never have any of these problems but once the cold sets in, forget it. i'm gald my bus runs better in the cold. not as much to worry about since its a pit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotta lube stuff for the cold- check the manual on all the places

I've got a 5 yr old 6v Interstate battery in mine and it hasnt let me down yet, but I dont drive it too much in the winter.

Can't wait to start the benz diesel after it sits for a few days in the station parking lot with no block heater....
volks67beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: winter bites Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
so this cold is not friendly to vws here in New England. Since my 60 is still 6v it hats the single digets when its trying to start. i practly killed the battery today starting the thing to go to school today. everything is getting tight and more and more nosies are poping up everywhere. the speed-o, the hood release cable, bumper brackets, everything is worse in the winter. in the summer i never have any of these problems but once the cold sets in, forget it. i'm gald my bus runs better in the cold. not as much to worry about since its a pit.

Yes seems like Massachusetts is getting a bit too cold for me. I went out to get some electical tape to do some wire repairs on my sapphire VI....went out to get the tape out of the bug and it was so cold my elbow went through the stiff old upholstery on my driver's seat. Good thing I have not recovered that seat yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stevie Fierce
Samba Landscaper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this cold sucks for sure. it has been in the teens and 20's here on LI. the cool thing is, i have actually chosen to drive my 67 instead of my work trucks. the heat works awesome and everything has been performing as it should. i just ordered my new door seals though. they were a little "old". like 39 yrs old! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ovalvwfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '60 6 volt was having trouble starting on cold mornings until I discovered I had an increasingly widening hole in my carb to manifold gasket. Fixed that and now it fires right up...I think it was 22F this morning. It was just rewired in March. I think as long as your electrical and fuel systems are in good order, you shouldn't have any problems...it does get very cold in Germany and we all know that's where VWs were designed and built.
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was like 5 degress on tuesday abd it just wouldn't start. but other than that its time to lube up
fuscavw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, we've had pretty much subzero temps for almost two weeks now. Just this year I've noticed that they have started salting the roads a bit here, which makes me very unhappy as this was one of the reasons I moved out here from the midwest (Kansas City)! If I don't have to, I simply refuse to drive my VW's in the nasty stuff. Every couple days I go out to start my 67 and it fires every time on the first click! Can't say enough 12volts and a fresh tuneup!
oc63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys think you have it bad, I went out to get the newspaper today and I could see my breath Razz
volks67beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW...you must have had to run back inside ASAP after getting your paper and warm up with a bowl of soup!

It is so cold here...we lose our testicles until about spring time...then they begin to descend back into place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oc63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL...I grew up on the east coast and I sympathize with you guys. I don't miss the cold weather at all.
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had to drive it last saturday after a huge snow storm on the following friday, the raods weren't to bad but there is salt. i just give the car a good washing, its not like my car is in any show quality condition and it has a brand new brakes and suspension so the mech. of the car are great. its just so freakin cold once you get that tin can rolling Cool
ovalvwfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just had a "Chaotic" ice storm that "crippled" the Southeast...the media Rolling Eyes

Anyway...it was cold and nasty and I got a little sideways pulling out of my street...it was great!
azgreenskeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oc63rag wrote:
You guys think you have it bad, I went out to get the newspaper today and I could see my breath Razz

Yeah, just today.......... uhh.... never mind......

*Note to self: Don't rub it in, dummy d'oh!
Vwrascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 5 years ago I had a "project" 69 bug that was eat up from rust and I used to go out when it snowed and drive around our backroads here and do some donuts and man that thing didnt miss a beat. It drove like it had 4 wheel drive. Now ice, thats a different story. You could have 10 wheel drive and your SOL!
The Germans knew what they were doing when they made this little car. Good in snow and it floats! What more could you ask for? Cool

VWCruisers-Virginia

'56 Polar Silver Type 1 Ragtop
'60 Caribbean Turquoise Type 1
ovalvwfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It definitely floats, but not indefinitely."

*Quote from an old VW magazine ad.
Bravo 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Volkswagen's unique construction keeps dampness out.

For years there have been rumors about floating Volkswagens. (The photographer claims this one stayed up for 42 minutes.) Why not?

The bottom of the Volkswagen isn't like ordinary car bottoms. A sheet of flat steel runs underneath the car, sealing the bottom fore and aft.

That's not done to make a bad boat out of it, just a better car. The sealed bottom protects a VW from water, dirt and salt.

All the nasty things on the road that eventually eat up a car.

The top part of a Volkswagen is also very seaworthy. It's practically airtight.

So airtight that it's hard to close the door without rolling down the window a bit.

But there's still one thing to keep in mind if you own a Valkswagen. Even if it could definitely float, it couldn't float indefinitely.

So drive around the big puddles Especially if they're big enough to have a name.

Source
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, they will float. I can verify it. Many years ago, I had a 67 that was resurrected from the junk pile. I was called into work in the middle of the night to the 911 Center because of the storms we were experiencing. I crossed a flooded out section of roadway and was floating for a bit.
Bravo 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MedicTed wrote:
Oh, they will float. I can verify it. Many years ago, I had a 67 that was resurrected from the junk pile. I was called into work in the middle of the night to the 911 Center because of the storms we were experiencing. I crossed a flooded out section of roadway and was floating for a bit.

The one thing that baffles me is wether or not there would be enough clearance over the water for the engine to work (looks like no)? Logically, I wouldn't expect it... but then again, I'd never expected a Beetle to float. Laughing

If it doesn't work, do you just have to rely on momentum, then? Wink
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo 1 wrote:
The one thing that baffles me is wether or not there would be enough clearance over the water for the engine to work (looks like no)? Logically, I wouldn't expect it... but then again, I'd never expected a Beetle to float. Laughing

If it doesn't work, do you just have to rely on momentum, then? Wink

Mine kept running. But then I also kept the R's up some to keep the wheels spinning to help propel the car through the water.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a late 60's early 70's Road and track article where Two guys mounted a electric prop on the bumper, Installed a bilge (spelling) pump, and waterprofed the ing system and cruised a bug out on a lake. I don't know if I still have the book it was in, I'll have to look.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: