Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tranny question
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: tranny question Reply with quote

is it possible to install a bug 67 tranny into a 60 kg? anything i need to know or is it just a straite swap?

thanks
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67460
peterericb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok... since the 67 bug might be 12 volt... I would try to find an earlier tranny (66 or earlier) because the 12 volt transmission has differences from a 6V (which your ghia was originally), but I am not 100% sure what they are.

Also it is important to select a good gear ratio for your engine... a later tranny designed for more horsepower might make an older engine feel extremly underpowered...
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterericb wrote:
ok... since the 67 bug might be 12 volt... I would try to find an earlier tranny (66 or earlier) because the 12 volt transmission has differences from a 6V (which your ghia was originally), but I am not 100% sure what they are.

Also it is important to select a good gear ratio for your engine... a later tranny designed for more horsepower might make an older engine feel extremly underpowered...

thanks for the input. i will be converting the car to 12 volt anyhow. i have a good 67 tranny and thought that would be best to intstall because it is already designed for the 12 volt flywheel. just wasnt sure if there were any mounting differences between an earlier swing axel and a later swing axel. for now ill be using a 1600 sp with future plans of a 2 litre.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterericb wrote:

67 Bus is 12V. Ghias and Bugs shared the same transmissions(mechanicals).
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
peterericb wrote:

not sure what your saying icy, but 67 bug, and all models i believe, are 12 volt for US spec cars.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67jason wrote:
Icy wrote:
peterericb wrote:

not sure what your saying icy, but 67 bug, and all models i believe, are 12 volt for US spec cars.

I meant Bug. Sometimes my fingers have a mind of their own.
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh i see. Very Happy
snookerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: tranny Reply with quote

i'm confused. if the tranny is not an autostick what is electrical about the tranny.....unless we are talking about the starter which is getting changed to 12v. maybe a really late mod. has a sensor of some type??? on my 7the ghia and only the autosticks had sensors.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: tranny Reply with quote

snookerdude wrote:
i'm confused. if the tranny is not an autostick what is electrical about the tranny.....unless we are talking about the starter which is getting changed to 12v. maybe a really late mod. has a sensor of some type??? on my 7the ghia and only the autosticks had sensors.

The starter is electrical. 6V and 12V starters are different.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The starter is a simple fix, most folks just continue to run 6v starters in their 12V cars forever.

But, 1967 axles are slightly longer so you may have a problem with tires rubbing against the rear wheel wells, especially if you plan on running something besides stock wheels and tires.

Since people seem to have problems with rear tires rubbing all the time I think maybe you should avoid making it worse by using a 67.

I'm assuming you just want to swap the whole assembly here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the '66 axles on my '67 Ghia, and was a lot happier with the appearance and fit. While you're doing the job, you may as well change out your '60 axles, as they're rather weak compared to later axles of the same length.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ovalboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the 67 and early 68 ghia axles the same length? I have an early 68 with a rear disc brake conversion. I want to use those brakes on my 67 but thought that the 68 axles were longer.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovalboy wrote:
Are the 67 and early 68 ghia axles the same length? I have an early 68 with a rear disc brake conversion. I want to use those brakes on my 67 but thought that the 68 axles were longer.

I thought it was 67 and 68 that got longer and they were the same (longer length_ both years, but I'm not a transmission person so what do I know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: