Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rare genuine VW accessory bumper - but what is it?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Jonesy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Rare genuine VW accessory bumper - but what is it? Reply with quote

Hi, i have this '71 VW variant with what appears to be a genuine accessory bumper and number plate light.
i've never seen ones like them before.
any one know what they are??? the bumper may be some sort of towbar spec bumper is what i'm thinking.
any help would be much apprieciated.
thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bumper looks smashed to me?

The tow hitches use normal bumpers with the tow hitch being a large bar that sits inside the rear of the bumper blade.

The license light looks chrome, which was probably done by a previous owner.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sure does look like one of those weird late bumpers. Look on your bumper page in you parts # cat Ev and youll see the two different types. Im not sure if this bumper is an accessory or an option as it is in the parts catalog. Very cool, first Ive seen. The licence light looks like an accessory though.

Got a pic of the pn book Russ? I looked a bit through your gallery but didnt see it.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top

Last edited by notchboy on Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://classicvw.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=5868
There is is in all its glory.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes it an option not an accessory. True?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in the parts book, and not in an accessory section. So I would say it is OE somewhere, sometime. Oh, and just to mention, my parts book came from England, So it may be for EU market.

If someone has a parts book with the part numbers, That would tell us for sure. If the number starts with 311 or 361, it is not an accessory. Most accessories started with different numbering system.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

315 707 303
Bumper, rear
M286 option

M286 = Bumper, rear with recess for license plate
up to Chassis No. 311 2500 000
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My license light looks like that, I stripped all the paint off it, then polished and clearcoated it. The clearcoating is important, as the license light is made of cast magnesium and will tarnish in a few hours if not sealed up.
Samba Member #4862
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a late model notch at the Classic in 2003 with one of those bumpers too. I know I have pictures somewhere, but I can't find them right now. It was a red one. What I've been trying to find information on for a couple years is an early bumper version of the same thing. My '65 notch came with one, according to the birth certificate. I'm not totally sure it wasn't the late style, but I don't think they would have had that in 1965. My '61 parts book doesn't show one, and I just found out today the 707/bumper section is missing from my '65 parts book. Guess I have to start looking for a new '65 parts book now. The '69 parts book has the same picture that Russ posted.

Here's my birth certificate:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My notch had a couple of interesting things from the factory. Mud Flaps (M290), rear bumper with number plate recess (M286), and rear seat without center arm rest (M260). It is an "S" model, so M260 is basically a delete option.

When I first found it, it had been stripped of the interior, except the door panels, bumpers were gone, engine gone and a bunch of other things. I've been slowly finding all the parts for it. One of the cool things that was on it, that has since fallen off, were a pile of "Gulf Oil" stickers on the door with the oil change information. I could make out a couple dates and they were from 1971 in California. Unfortunately, a 3 year old was playing around the car when I was doing some work on it and the stickers ended up as a pile of torn up paper on the ground.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
...Unfortunately, a 3 year old was playing around the car when I was doing some work on it and the stickers ended up as a pile of torn up paper on the ground.

Once again, I welcome you to my world.
Samba Member #4862
Jonesy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT! thanks for the help guys...
...the bumper may be for sale if anyone is interested but as Everett pointed out it has had a bump at some time in the past so is a little out of shape. the metal hasn't creased so i think it could be straightened out ok.
also, the pic was taken the day i collected the square so the bumper has since received some elbow grease and looks a whole lot better for it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jonesy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for the licence light, it has all the numbers and the Hella logo still very clear and highly prononced on the u/s so i'm not sure that it has been polished before. if it has been done by a previous owner it was done very very well.
nothing in the parts book about polished licence hoods???
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonesy wrote:
...the bumper may be for sale if anyone is interested but as Everett pointed out it has had a bump at some time in the past so is a little out of shape. the metal hasn't creased so i think it could be straightened out ok.
also, the pic was taken the day i collected the square so the bumper has since received some elbow grease and looks a whole lot better for it!
Say, theoretically, a person wanted to buy this from you. Where would it be shipped from, how much would the package weigh, and how much would you want for said bumper. Don't know why I would want a fat chick bumper though. Hmm. An early-to-late upgrade. Might just make Tram happy.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bubblehead wrote:
notchback wrote:
...Unfortunately, a 3 year old was playing around the car when I was doing some work on it and the stickers ended up as a pile of torn up paper on the ground.

Once again, I welcome you to my world.
Except I think it was MY world before you joined it. Evil or Very Mad

FU#3
rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed a '70 notchback on ebay a couple of months ago on ebay. This notch had that type of rear bumper on it. ISP West was the high bidder & the car was in Florida I think. Has anyone seen it in the shop at ISP, it was tan & pretty rusty. I think it sold for $1200.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustyfastback wrote:
I noticed a '70 notchback on ebay a couple of months ago on ebay. This notch had that type of rear bumper on it. ISP West was the high bidder & the car was in Florida I think. Has anyone seen it in the shop at ISP, it was tan & pretty rusty. I think it sold for $1200.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7994521256 Pretty good memory. Damn eBay for removing pictures.

FU#3
rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. Yea that sucks ebay removes the pics. I really wanted to buy that notch but I did not have the cash at the time. Glad I did not bid it looks like the seller was a scammer judging from the feedback. By the way I just bought a owners manual from you on ebay, I noticed your name on the vw birth certificate.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
Jonesy wrote:
Say, theoretically, a person wanted to buy this from you. Where would it be shipped from, how much would the package weigh, and how much would you want for said bumper. Don't know why I would want a fat chick bumper though. Hmm. An early-to-late upgrade. Might just make Tram happy.

Just compleeting your 65 as was spec from the factory Neil Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Jonesy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
Jonesy wrote:

the bumper would be shipped from the UK but as for costs i have no idea as i'm not 100% sure i'm going to sell it just that i might.
...and anyway you don't want a fat chick bumper for your early notch! do you??? Shocked
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should keep it for a bit. Yeah its for a fat chick but its very rare and cool deal for them. Get bored of it first then sell it Rolling Eyes Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: