Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early type 3 rims..
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROGER LAWLESS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Early type 3 rims.. Reply with quote

Does anybody have any pictures and descriptions of early type 3 rims? Question

Were they 'smoothies' like the bug? I need a pair because they are wider. Are they 1/2" or 1" wider?

I already have one later wide 5 for type three with all the holes around the rim but I don't want that style.

Thanks for your help.

Roger
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Early type 3 rims.. Reply with quote

ROGER LAWLESS wrote:
Does anybody have any pictures and descriptions of early type 3 rims? Question

Were they 'smoothies' like the bug? I need a pair because they are wider. Are they 1/2" or 1" wider?

I already have one later wide 5 for type three with all the holes around the rim but I don't want that style.

Thanks for your help.

Roger
You current question was pretty much answered by your previous question:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=144106

When you say you have a "later wide 5" with "all the holes", you are referring to the '66 & '67 bug rim. Not type 3 at all.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROGER LAWLESS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: type three rims Reply with quote

Shocked Well maybe you are right but why is one of them 5" and the other 4.5" wide?
hoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: type three rims Reply with quote

ROGER LAWLESS wrote:
Shocked Well maybe you are right but why is one of them 5" and the other 4.5" wide?

Could they be wide-5 porchse rims with the slots?

I think all stock Type 3 rims were 4.5" wide.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they say 15x5 on them or are you just measuring them? Type 3 rims are 15x4.5 but they tape measure bigger depending on how you measure them.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60DoubleTurd
Type 3 Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about this without pictures is like pissing in the wind....not too brite...get some pics up and we'll let you know what you have......

Here is a 61-63 slotted wheel...15x4.5

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a 64-65 solid wheel.....15x4.5

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thats all the 5 lug wheels for a type 3. Thanks for shopping!

SBS #17
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the way you measure a wheel, all wheels, is between the 'lip' of the wheel, where the bead of the tire seats.
heres a webiste with a rundown on wheel measuring:
http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
ROGER LAWLESS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Type 3 rims Reply with quote

OK I'll take a couple of pics of the 'two' rims that I have. Including tape measuring them. Smile

Years ago I rememberd another VW bug friend who had wider rims and I asked where he got them and he stated that' theyre off of a type three. Very Happy

I actually found a pair for the rear of my car, back then. I think it was a 68. Maybe that was the difference. Embarassed Four lug.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 3 rims are 4.5" instead of 4" wide, if that helps. The offset is different too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: