Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
peteandvanessa wrote:
I've read this thread from front to back, but I can't find the answer to the following question.

I have the following style early throw out bearing:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pete,
I have a better solution. Your gearbox is a 1970. Take the TO bearing off and remove the cross shaft. Get the late guide tube, cross shaft and TO bearing. Using the guide tube, hold it on top of the input seal and mark where the holes need to go. Drill and tap M7.
Then install all the late TO bearing bits, they are much more reliable.

Thanks for the input, for now I'm going to go with the current set up and add the centering ring to the pressure plate. If I have problems, I'll swap it out for the later throwout bearing, shaft and centering collar.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568220&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

My Son's 1971 Bay Window Westie Build Thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7295189#7295189
peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my centering ring problem fixed so I thought I'd post an update here:

So I fitted the centering ring to the pressure plate.

It was pretty easy to do. First you remove the spiral ring from the centering ring. After that, you simply offer the centering ring up to pressure plate, it just drops in like this:

Then you flip the whole assembly over and fit the spiral ring back on to the centering ring to hold it in place. It's harder to describe than it looks. It's pretty easy to do, all of five minutes.

Here's a close up of the centering ring:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568220&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the first page and then the last page of this thread.
So, if I have a '67, I leave the ring ON that came with my Kennedy pressure plate and put a light coating of grease on the face of the throw out bearing and go with it?
Anything else I need to know? Wanna start on this in the next day or two.
I have the early style t/o bearing.
peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'67 Sunroof wrote:
Just read the first page and then the last page of this thread.
So, if I have a '67, I leave the ring ON that came with my Kennedy pressure plate and put a light coating of grease on the face of the throw out bearing and go with it?
Anything else I need to know? Wanna start on this in the next day or two.
I have the early style t/o bearing.

That's pretty much it, Yes.

Not sure you need to grease the face of the throw out bearing ( I didn't).

Do put some safety wire to stop the clips from popping off though, just for peace of mind.

67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like just loop it around and twist it some?
Thanks
peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'67 Sunroof wrote:
Like just loop it around and twist it some?
Thanks

Yes, I just looped it to the left hand clip, then ran it behind the throw out bearing and then twisted it onto the right hand clip and snugged it down.

multis6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come up with a situation that I do not see covered on the forum. I have a 1983 type 3 swing axle trany that I had a 1965 1200 engine bolted up to it and it worked fine. Now I traded the 1200 for a 1975 1600, New pressure plate New clutch, original throw out barring, See pics. What I find that I have a ½ inch play from the face of the pp to the tob
Too much of a gap for the swing arm to engage the pp to disengage the clutch. The ride will not come out of gear when the pedal is pushed to the floor with the cable fully adjusted. Any thoughts?

Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

multis6 wrote:
I have a ½ inch play from the face of the pp to the tob
....... the cable fully adjusted.

If there's half an inch between the TOB and the pressure plate, your cable isn't adjusted properly.
Keep winding up the wing nut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
multis6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cable was fully adjusted and the adjusting arm was fully bottomed out on the case and yet the clutch will not release.

To the forum: Let me pose this question, will a 75, 1600cc mate with a 83 type 3 swing axel ?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no such thing as an 83 Type 3. The last type 3 was 1973.

Get a shorter cable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

multis6 wrote:
I have come up with a situation that I do not see covered on the forum. I have a 1983 type 3 swing axle trany that I had a 1965 1200 engine bolted up to it and it worked fine. Now I traded the 1200 for a 1975 1600, New pressure plate New clutch, original throw out barring, See pics. What I find that I have a ½ inch play from the face of the pp to the tob
Too much of a gap for the swing arm to engage the pp to disengage the clutch. The ride will not come out of gear when the pedal is pushed to the floor with the cable fully adjusted. Any thoughts?

Which cross shaft do you have? See how the early shaft (on the left) holds the TOB back a CM or so? The late one (on the right) might be what you need.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrsmothers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so let me try to get this strait when putting an old style pressure plate and clutch on a newer style trans I just remove the ring.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsmothers wrote:
OK so let me try to get this strait when putting an old style pressure plate and clutch on a newer style trans I just remove the ring.

Yes, when putting an old style (1970 and earlier) 200mm pressure plate and clutch on a newer (1971 and later) style trans you just remove the center ring.

Exactly what I did on mine, works perfectly; I have a 3-finger type pressure plate on mine though, not a diaphragm type.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mrsmothers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really good thread got another question.The motor I took out of my 73 ( later throw out bearing) needs to go into my dune buggy (early throw out bearing ) can I keep my clutch disk and just replace the pressure plate for one that has the ring in it? Also just wondering can you swap cross shafts from a post 70 trans to a pre 70 trans.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsmothers wrote:
This is a really good thread got another question.The motor I took out of my 73 ( later throw out bearing) needs to go into my dune buggy (early throw out bearing ) can I keep my clutch disk and just replace the pressure plate for one that has the ring in it?

Yes, you could re-use the clutch disc if it's OK. I would definitely measure its thickness first, and give it a great look-over...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
VolkDubz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful, thank you for the great thread
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsmothers wrote:
Also just wondering can you swap cross shafts from a post 70 trans to a pre 70 trans.

Sounds like you need this:
http://www.kustom1warehouse.net/Throw_out_bearing_conversion_kit_p/113141165bconv.htm
Note that it is not just the cross shaft. The later style throw out bearings need the center sleeve for support.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteandvanessa wrote:
I've read this thread from front to back, but I can't find the answer to the following question.

I have the following style early throw out bearing:

The engine that is being shipped to me will have a similar pressure plate set up as this:

Unfortunately, the engine builder thought I had the later throw out bearing, so he removed this centering ring from the pressure plate:

I know I have to reinstall the centering onto the pressure plate, but how easy is that and how is it done?

I want to make sure I get this right before installing the engine into my Bug

Here's the actual pic of my motor with the centering installed, before the engine builder removed the centering ring:

Looking at the pics, it would seem to me that I have to remove the pressure plate, then there is a spiral ring on the back of the centering ring that I need to remove my turning the spiral ring off. Then I fit the centering ring to the pressure plate by putting it onto the pressure plate from the front and then at the rear of the pressure plate, put the spiral ring on to hold it in place, then refit the pressure plate back onto the engine (also centering the clutch plate again as I tighten the pressure plate bolts down). Is that correct?

Im putting a 1600 in a 1962 trans-axle with the stock type throw-out bearing. . Im going to use the 200 mm pressure plate. So I think I need a centering ring . Where can I find one?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dake wrote:
Im putting a 1600 in a 1962 trans-axle with the stock type throw-out bearing. Im going to use the 200 mm pressure plate. So I think I need a centering ring . Where can I find one?

Get a 200 mm pressure plate that has a center ring. And has that 1962 transaxle housing been ground out/enlarged for the 200mm flywheel?
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have an early throwout bearing on my bus and ordered a new one to put in. When I got the new one, the center thing that spins seems to be wider than the one that was in there. I thought I had ordered the right one, I checked everything like 3 times. I will post pics when i get home from work but was just wondering if I was going to have to get another one and which one I should actually get
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 19

Jump to: