Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

lowlight roller gas pedal
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: lowlight roller gas pedal Reply with quote

My Sept 56 1288967 has the roller gas pedal, early style pedal assy. My Oct 57 1676192 has the later style gas pedal and pedal assy. My Sept 57 1659447 has the roller pedal, early pedal assy with bolt to the nut insert on the pan for support, AND the later style gas pedal mount on the pan. Pan is original as far as I can tell, with provisions for both styles of gas pedal. When was the change?
Buggeroff
Argumentative Bastard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Feb 57, 1458120, has the roller operated by a pedal.
The pedal is attatched to the main assembly via a bolt that runs horizontally towards the tunnel, which in turn secures the pivot arm and pedal itself.
Chris.

Headlinerless 57 Ghia
Thread deleter extrordinaire.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My roller pedals are the same as the ovals I own, attached by a pin to the aluminum pedal assy base, not a bolt.
But when did they make the change, and why does my sept '57 pan have both styles of pedal mounting points??
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pedal was updated from roller style to actual pedal style on our Karmann Ghias at chassis number 1 600 440, which was in very late June of 1957.

There was some crossover on the mounting provision likely because KG's wound up in some very far-flung corners of the world, and spares for such parts were difficult to get out. So if, for instance, your October 1957 Coupe's pedal broke off while you were motoring down the street in Jakarta, Indonesia, sometime in summer of 1959. Would the local dealer have the new style pedal in stock? Likely not, but they probably would have the oval window-era roller, and that'd work then.
Buggeroff
Argumentative Bastard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrowagen wrote:
The pedal was updated from roller style to actual pedal style on our Karmann Ghias at chassis number 1 600 440, which was in very late June of 1957.

There was some crossover on the mounting provision likely because KG's wound up in some very far-flung corners of the world, and spares for such parts were difficult to get out. So if, for instance, your October 1957 Coupe's pedal broke off while you were motoring down the street in Jakarta, Indonesia, sometime in summer of 1959. Would the local dealer have the new style pedal in stock? Likely not, but they probably would have the oval window-era roller, and that'd work then.

Pffft, modern rubbish Laughing
My car gives me cause for confusion.
Appears to cross boundaries.
Chris.

Headlinerless 57 Ghia
Thread deleter extrordinaire.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: