Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1938 VW Employee Badge
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
dantrefethen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: 1938 VW Employee Badge Reply with quote

I am looking on E-bay at an 1938 VW employee badge.

Does this look authentic ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&...RK:MEWA:IT

This link should work
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is cool

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-VW-Volkswagen-Employee...dZViewItem
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dantrefethen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: 1838 badge Reply with quote

This is now going for $100 on E-bay

Are they wasting thier money?

I have not seen this badge before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With those badges it's kind of touch and go. I personally have never seen one like that myself with the employee # (I assume). There are some good reproductions out there, and some bad ones. That could possibly be a real deal judging by the price, and the aging to it.

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kafer53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a real one. I have only seen 1 other in my time in the hobby. Anything with the nazi logo is truely rare and in high damand by the "vintage hobbyists"
I got outbid at the last second! Evil or Very Mad
Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im by far no expert in this field. But it looks like a bad copy of the corner stone pin. I would think if it were real it would resemble a genuine Corner stone pin. And not a knock-off. Look at the top of the swastika it doesnt even meet the cog. I could be wrong.
Here are a couple pics of my real Corner Stone Pin. Ive seen some of the really bad copies of the cornerstone pin (the type you can still pick up at the Bug O' Rama) sell for a couple $100's. If your not sure of its authenticity do not bid!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

68' Vert
dantrefethen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: 1938 pin ? Reply with quote

Somebody spent $256 for this

I wonder what Bob (53 oval) thinks about this one.

Dan
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a fake. Simon Mitchell (the real expert on these) sent me several pictures when "they" first came out. The crude stamping and improper pin attachment plus the wrong weight all pointed to a reproduction. Simon actually bought one and had it analyzed. The real worker's badge had the two sets of numbers; the first being the worker's number and the second.....the section where he worked. Under the numbers was a colored line that showed whether he was union or management. The weight is still the test.......over the years several fakes came out in brass and were too heavy......this latest fake is light but still not as light as it should be. I hope nobody in here got stuck with this one. I just saw this thread or I would have said something earlier. At least three of these have been on eBay German within the last two months. Sad

Last edited by 53 0val on Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will bring a real cornerstone badge to the LAX show for anyone who wants to see and touch it. It's not for sale but I will be happy to field questions if you want to come by my table. Wink
vwovalguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'M lost ..............are we talking about this one:

Or the one above that NAKED posted?
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwovalguy wrote:

Sorry......getting back to the employee badge........Another problem with that badge involves the pin or tac. The words Ges Gesch appear on the reverse of the badge or the tac. Those words have the same meaning as the term "patent pending" It was used on all items that were to be sold and proved that the manufacture paid the necessary duty to the goverment to allow the sale of those items so marked. These badges.....both the cornerstone badge, and the employee badge were never meant to be sold and therefore will not have any markings for those reasons. It one of the easiest way to eliminate the fakes. A real cornerstone badge is quite rare.......the employee badges are more common but also rare. The style of this badge was changed after the first year. The later badges have a "flying" VW symbol, but that is a whole differnt set of problems and a whole new thread in itself. Wink
kafer53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
vwovalguy wrote:

Sorry......getting back to the employee badge........Another problem with that badge involves the pin or tac. The words Ges Gesch appear on the reverse of the badge or the tac. Those words have the same meaning as the term "patent pending" It was used on all items that were to be sold and proved that the manufacture paid the necessary duty to the goverment to allow the sale of those items so marked. These badges.....both the cornerstone badge, and the employee badge were never meant to be sold and therefore will not have any markings for those reasons. It one of the easiest way to eliminate the fakes. A real cornerstone badge is quite rare.......the employee badges are more common but also rare. The style of this badge was changed after the first year. The later badges have a "flying" VW symbol, but that is a whole differnt set of problems and a whole new thread in itself. Wink

That's great info Bob! It's amazing how you know the differences. I thought that with the patina and markings, that was was real for sure.
I think that it went for way too much money for a fake, but maybe not.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to remember that "patina" is the easiest thing to fake. Throw it out in the garden.........get your dog to pee on it, put it in orange juice......I assure you that you can age anything with just a little effort. As far as the money goes......That much and more have been spent on fake cornerstone badges for years. When that kind of money can be made with just a little effort.........you can bet the crooks will try.

In the last ten years I have only know of four real cornerstone badges that were actually bought and sold. All were in advanced collections and were well known for many years. The one Bill Derricks sold was in the worse condition and he got $260 for it over five years ago. The most recent real one sold for $500 and that was a good deal. The worker's badge was not a very good reproduction to begin with. It lacked the line I mentioned and was poorly stamped and had the incorrect pin. If that were a real badge it would have never made it to eBay. There are standing offers of over a $1000 for the ones in collections and several buyers in line. None of those "players" were bidding on this badge. Wink
dantrefethen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: fake workers badge Reply with quote

Thanks for the volumes of education, Bob !

I had never heard of a Workers Badge and now I at least know enough to

not be taken.

Basicaly, if its on e-bay, seriously question authenticy.

Dan
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me Dan if there is ever a doubt on a badge. I'll be happy to tell you what I know.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another couple of fakes.... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=274642
dantrefethen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Fake pins Reply with quote

I have never seen the star shapped one.

What is it supposed to be?

The ground breaking pin is not even close. Even I can see that.

Dan
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fantasy piece. The star behind a medal or badge is usually given for a German order. The Order of VW never existed. Rolling Eyes It was just someone's idea of a joke and over the years people now think it's something special. The bottom of a fake cornerstone badge was cut off and put on a star casting. It's just more crap. Wink

Makes you really question the rest of the stuff he sells doesn't it? If you're willling to charge someone $500 for a couple of obvious fakes, what else are you charging them for. Confused

Last edited by 53 0val on Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
I will bring a real cornerstone badge to the LAX show for anyone who wants to see and touch it. It's not for sale but I will be happy to field questions if you want to come by my table. Wink

I've got table #29. I'll bring a cornerstone badge, a stampbook and a couple of KDF postcards if anyone is interesting in seeing the real stuff with the correct stampings. I also will bring some of the most faked VW badges so you can see the real ones of those as well.
15 windowdelux
Samba Goober

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word about my expreience with buying on of these badges, I bought a fake one about 5 or 6 years ago on ebay from a guy in Poland. I just liked the look of it, didn't really care if it was legit or not. I probably got 10 emails from 3 or 4 guys telling me it was a fake and not to do business with the guy selling it. I don't know if anything has changed but I'm sure if you bid on it you will get bombarded with emails about its originality that is if its a fake.
Carlin's "Seven words you can't say on television"????
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: