Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear engine compartment tin
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Rear engine compartment tin Reply with quote

I took the fan shroud off of my 71 to change out the oil cooler seals and swap in an intake manifold with clean heat risers. While I had the top of the engine clear I noticed that the vertical piece of tin that fits around the flywheel end of the engine had two tabs on it which were bent down over the flange on the case which butts up to the transmission. I do not remember seeing this when I had the engine out of my 66, so I wonder if this was a later change. The way the tabs were bent over, it looks like it will interfere with pulling the engine out. Does anybody have any experience with this? Thanks.
tornadoboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No interferance, they just help hold it in place against the case. Makes it more rigid I think.

74' Beetle
65 Ghia, in resto
66 Micro, also in resto
bluebug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These tabs look like they will have to be bent out of the way to get the engine to pull straight back and they will definitely have to be out of the way to get the engine to slide back straight in. They will probably bend up on their own when the engine is pulled out. I had just never noticed them before. This engine may never have been pulled before.
tornadoboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?, That piece of tin is, or should be attached to the engine. It comes out with the engine when you pull it. The accel. cable and the fuel line must be detached so they can go through.

74' Beetle
65 Ghia, in resto
66 Micro, also in resto
bluebug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what...you are right. Brain fart here. Looking at it in the car it somehow looked like a different piece. Thanks...I feel better now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: