Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Source for original tar boards
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Source for original tar boards Reply with quote

Is there a source for the original-style rear deck tar boards?

I'd ready to redo that area and would prefer to use something that looks original. Otherwise I'll go with some dynamat equivalent.

The tar stuff appears to be 3/16" inch thick.

Example (not my Bus):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everett, my 67 westy did not have any of these tarboards and obviously never did. What years and models were they used on?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are for Standards and Deluxes.

They also used additional strips behind the seat divider interior panels and drink tray.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doveblue3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for original tar boards Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Is there a source for the original-style rear deck tar boards?

I'd ready to redo that area and would prefer to use something that looks original. Otherwise I'll go with some dynamat equivalent.

The tar stuff appears to be 3/16" inch thick.

Example (not my Bus):

its very similar to expansion joint material used when pouring sidewalks/driveways. it usually comes in 4' sticks, 4" wide.

check lowes/home depot.

i am not sure what the flexibility of the expansion joint would be though. it might take some heat to bend it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At every VW event for the next 5 years, you must search. Offer to buy og pieces from peoples buses, trade large quantities of green leafy material to those that wont take large quantities of green pieces of paper with the likeness of ben franklin imprinted upon them. Go on an extended 36 month jaunt to every wrecking yard between phoenix and wolfsburg to search out remnants. Soon, after everyone is so tired of you whining about needing to find original tar strips, someone will come forward with the goods and tell you to once and for all, stfu.

go forth grasshopper.
Bart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roofing tar?
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At every VW event for the next 5 years, you must search. Offer to buy og pieces from peoples buses, trade large quantities of green leafy material to those that wont take large quantities of green pieces of paper with the likeness of ben franklin imprinted upon them. Go on an extended 36 month jaunt to every wrecking yard between phoenix and wolfsburg to search out remnants. Soon, after everyone is so tired of you whining about needing to find original tar strips, someone will come forward with the goods and tell you to once and for all, stfu.

NOBODY is that crazy. oh wait, now i see who posted it. Laughing
Bart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did dave find those tank divider felts?
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sundial Camper wrote:
did dave find those tank divider felts?

Dave Buckholts sent me enough about a year ago to finish up my set.

Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mercedes ML uses sound deadener self-sticking pads on the inside of all 4 doors and the roof with the sunroof. They come in wide sections. You can cut them in strips. They are part number 163 682 09 08.
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, that shit is suppose to be there on the cargo deck? I just spent hours scraping that shit off my sunroof bus Shocked
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

163 682 09 08 I called a local dealer (I run a parts store had nothing better to do) that self stick door stuff is only 14.50 from dealer. Guessing it would take 4 of them maybe to do a bus probaly would work nicely
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doveblue3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my65vert wrote:
Damn, that shit is suppose to be there on the cargo deck? I just spent hours scraping that shit off my sunroof bus Shocked

yours is a kombi - it isnt supposed to be there. only "interior buses".
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is the whole inside of the fukr is coated with some tar shit that is taking me forever to get out. It's like they put the tar stuff down then laid insulation on it before it dried and it's a hell of a mess to get off.
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOUBUGME2 wrote:
163 682 09 08 I called a local dealer (I run a parts store had nothing better to do) that self stick door stuff is only 14.50 from dealer. Guessing it would take 4 of them maybe to do a bus probaly would work nicely

What were the dimensions of each $14.50 piece?
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well dealers wont help ya that much. its probaly the size of the inside of a mb door lol. I would guess maybe 3x2 feet? They couldn't tell me thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get this out of them it fits the a ML320 thats a SUV produced by MB so Im sure its of decent size but couldn't say for sure.
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my65vert wrote:
All I know is the whole inside of the fukr is coated with some tar shit that is taking me forever to get out. It's like they put the tar stuff down then laid insulation on it before it dried and it's a hell of a mess to get off.

Go down to Kragen Autoparts, near the bondo will be Marhyde brand paint remove or aircraft stripper buy it , put it on there, let it soak, put on some more and then scrape your stuff right off, this stuff is the cat's meow when it comes to removers, but make sure you buy the MARHYDE brand and nothing else, the rest is junk
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the MBZ dealer here, they were $27 each and they didn't have any in stock so I couldn't get dimensions.

My local Home Depot only sells the new closed cell foam expansion joints now but I found some online pics of the old ashphalt based strips and it looks promising. Thanks doveblue3.

The Home Depot stuff actually looked pretty good at $12 for a 50' x 4" roll.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for a MB dealer. $27 is rediculous.

Off the top of head, they are about 18" x 6".

I'll get a real price tomorrow. 2 go in each door. And 2 go in the roof.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: