Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aircooled.net - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: [email protected]
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: February 10, 2023
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on topic here. I've ordered many things from aircooled over the years and will continue to do so in the future. One of my favorite vendors. I'm just an average Joe that likes messin around with VW's.

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harley_52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, for what it's worth here is a verbatim copy (minus names and addresses) of the conversation between me and Aircooled.net regarding this problem.

Again, I have three complaints.

First, the product I received was defective.

Second, I paid an extra $35 to insure it wasn't defective and that it had been "set up and adjusted" as advertised. Not only was it not "set up and adjusted" it couldn't even have been checked for completeness since it was missing a major component for operability.

Third, the unprofessional, insulting attitude of John himself.

I recognize I'm presenting this to a biased crowd here, but here it is anyway. (should be read in reverse order....note the dates).

good luck

----- Original Message -----
To: Aircooled
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 4:15 PM
Subject: Re: Solex Carbs
I've made my last purchase from aircooled.net and I'll tell all my friends.
Thanks for the advice, but I'll keep the car.
To: Me
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 5:57 PM
You are disappointed that we went over the top out of our way to solve your problem in a timely manner, even though it creates a problem HERE? Any other store in the US would have told you to wait until they got back into stock, tough!
I have helped you quickly (and accurately). I understand your chagrin that you have had a problem, but please understand we did what we could to rectify it as quickly as possible (I told you SPECIFICALLY where the problem was for crying out loud!).
Iif you had that problem with anyone else, they would have not had the mechanical knowledge to guide you towards a solution, and would have jerked you around for weeks until you went away. And now you are criticizing us because you had a problem, instead of complimenting us on how we handled it. Nobody is perfect, and it sounds like you expected us to put the carbs on your car and tune them for you for the $35. You should be glad that SOMEONE offers this service, because if you are upset about this, you can imagine the situation you would have been in had you bought them unmodified from elsewhere! Would it make you feel better for us to refund the $35 and tell you to never buy from us again? Would that make you happy? Would ANYTHING make you happy? I suppose you want a full refund, and keep the carbs too? That's the road it sounds like you are heading down.
All I can do is apologize for the problem. Expecting more then this isn't going to accomplish anything, and it's not reasonable nor practical. If that is sincerely how you feel, you should sell the VW and get out of the hobby, because there isn't a company out there that is up to your "standards".
I think your expectations are out of line on this one.
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 3:42 PM
That wasn't necessary. Telling me you'd have to wait for one to come in would have been fine. As it is, I was simply inquiring since you had said you'd "get one out to me" on Monday (ten days ago) and I hadn't seen it yet.
I must tell you that I'm pretty disappointed in this whole experience. My previous impressions about Aircooled.net were much better than what I've experienced with this situation. I hope it was simply an aberration.
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 5:22 PM
Yes.
I didn't have one, had to break up a carb kit to steal it for you
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 1:05 PM
Did you send it?
Sent: Saturday, July 08, 2006 7:24 PM
I'll get one out to you on Monday.
J
Sent: Saturday, July 08, 2006 4:26 PM
Correct. There was nothing above the float. I took the one out of my 34 pict3 and it works.
Sent: Saturday, July 08, 2006 6:19 PM
So it wasn't defective, it was MISSING?
Sent: Saturday, July 08, 2006 3:54 PM
Subject: Fw: Solex Carbs
Second Addendum....
I took the needle valve assembly out of my 34pict3 and installed it in the right solex carb. The gushing stopped and it's up and running.
I'd appreciate it if you'd send me another needle valve assy. to replace the one I used.
I'm also curious if this is something that should have turned up in the set-up and ajustment I paid $35.00 for? Your site says you'll "fix some internal carburetor problems that we know about" and a missing needle valve assembly seems like it should qualify.
Thanks.
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 8:08 PM
Subject: Fw: Solex Carbs

Addendum...
I've taken the carb off again and found a diagram. I don't believe there is any needle valve in it at all. There is nothing that is affected by the float rising. If I understand what's supposed to happen, when the float rises it lifts a needle valve that shuts off the tube from which fuel enters.
Above this float there's nothing but an empty threaded hole where I believe the needle valve assembly is supposed to be screwed into.
So it appears to me the bowl just fills up and when it's filled whatever pressure is coming from the fuel pump forces fuel out the tube that is at the top of the bowl and into the throat of the carb and wherever else it squirts.
What about my 34 pict3? Could I remove the needle assembly from it and use it on the 35 pdsit?
Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?
Thanks.
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 6:27 PM
Subject: Solex Carbs
John,
We spoke earlier this afternoon about difficulty I'm having with my new Solex carbs.
The right carburetor gushes fuel. I have adjusted the fuel pressure regulator as low as it will go, I've removed the carb, taken off the top, and insured the gasket isn't preventing the float from rising to the top.
I've also tried blowing through the fuel inlet and can do so with only minor restriction.
Put it all back together and it still gushes fuel when I crank it.
What's next?
Thanks,

1965 Ford F-100
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harley_52 wrote:

First, the product I received was defective.

Second, I paid an extra $35 to insure it wasn't defective and that it had been "set up and adjusted" as advertised. Not only was it not "set up and adjusted" it couldn't even have been checked for completeness since it was missing a major component for operability.

what i find funny is two things.... ONE, the manufactuer sent out an incomplete piece....John has promised to rectify the situation...he isn't at fault, yet he is going to stand behind the product that he doesn't produce, just sells...that sounds like a win for you there...

TWO: you don't seem to uderstand what "set up and adjusted" means....it means setting up the variables(jets,vents, etc) to work with your engine....the precise tuning(all it adjustment if you want) is up to the installer of the parts....trust me when i say that carbs are not "setup" out of the box for our vw's....they may run, but won't run well....if John changed out jets and vents to work with your engine, you indeed got what you paid the 35 dollars extra for.... have you even priced vents and jets?

what i see, and it is my opinion, is someone that just doesn't understand, and felt you are entitled to the world because you are a customer....John is not the installer nor tuner on your car. the modifications you paid for do not require disassembly of the carbs so the missing needle valve would never be seen by John or his staff...period....did you pull it out of the box and notice it missing? if not, you can't expect someone else to do so....you seem to be upset and you probably deserve the "attitude" John has given you....that is my opinion. Crying about it here will not change the mind of those that have already seen first hand how John handles his customer service... i have ordered from John many times and only had minor issues which he very quickly bent over backwards to rectify...of course i didn't blame him for the problems that were beyond his control.... John is good, but he isn't quite to God status...
harley_52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***what i see, and it is my opinion, is someone that just doesn't understand, and felt you are entitled to the world because you are a customer***

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and so am I mine.

Where did I ask for "the world?" Can you point it out to me from the e-mail I posted? I asked, nicely, if the problem should have been noticed during the "set up and ajust." He didn't bother to answer the question. I told him I was "disappointed," which caused a tirade from him inventing demands I'd never made nor considered and suggesting I sell the car. Then, during this entire discussion he has chosen the path of misrepresenting and name callling.

You're more than entitled to whatever opinion you have and, of course, to do business with whomever you want.

I'll choose to take my business elsewhere and apparently we'll all be happy.
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I quote our own product description for the "Setup and Adjust" option on our website.

"We customize the jetting to match YOUR engine and elevation, modify the LH carb body to clear the OEM shroud, and fix some internal carburetor problems that we know about. This does NOT mean we will drive to your house and install and adjust the carburetors!

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

In order to change the air jet and/or main jet in a Solex 35 PDSIT you need to remove the top of the carburetor, in which case if the needle and seat were missing it should have been caught.
On another note, John you are not the only shop that modifies the SCAT kits to fit, I have been doing it since they came on the market, worked with Tom on getting CORRECT intake manifolds ( I never sold a kit with the steel manifolds, I always replaced them with aluminum ones) and have asked SCAT many times to include the necessary linkage extenstion that is needed on the drivers side carb.
I know you also have worked with SCAT on making the kits better, BUT you are not the ONLY one.
Customer service reguardless of their attitude is always NUMBER 1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linkage extension? LOL, that's ONE of around 8 modifications the carbs NEED to work properly; I'm glad you do at least one of them Ronnie. SCAT is not at all interested in the OTHER CHANGES that have to be made to make them work. I know because I gave up trying. Anything that isn't SUPER SIMPLE they are just not interested in. Some that are simple, they still won't fix.

But it's bad enough you choose to copy everyone else's work instead of coming up with YOUR OWN PRODUCTS AND SOLUTIONS, you compound this by butting into a forum that is a place to share experiences with a product/vendor you have dealt with. You have never purchased from us, so you should stick to your own threads or answering guys questions for your company promotion and advertising instead of butting into someone else's business.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Linkage extension? LOL, that's ONE of around 8 modifications the carbs NEED to work properly; I'm glad you do at least one of them Ronnie.
But it's bad enough you choose to copy everyone else's work instead of coming up with YOUR OWN PRODUCTS AND SOLUTIONS,
John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

John I am not here to get in a pissing match with you. You do your thing I do mine. I was just stateing facts. As far as your "around" 8 modifications, I do do to them what is necessary to make them work. I have EXTENSIVE dyno and ROAD time with them (at my expense). I do not advertise them for sale, I do not make bold statements either.
We're all in this business to keep VW's running and most in the industry try and do their best. Just remember John, you ARE NOT the only one who cares! Lighten up.

John I never have seen what you do to these carbs and personally don't care. I know what I have done and didn't COPY anybody, I did it all on my own and with the help of Geoff Hart and his dyno and personally using them on MY OWN engines in some of my own VW's to sort them out. I just don't brag about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitpile wrote:

In order to change the air jet and/or main jet in a Solex 35 PDSIT you need to remove the top of the carburetor, in which case if the needle and seat were missing it should have been caught.

Air jet yes, main jet no. It can be accessed via the drain plug. That's how I do it. I've seen no real reason thus far to change an air jet either. Maybe if someone gets the blended bodies they'd need to, but not with 27/30mm vents. Transition remains smooth, and top end performance is ruled by more than the air jet. The enrichment circuit AND the accelerator nozzle contribute at WOT higher RPMs. That's a good reason why John would not have noticed it.

Shit happens, and he tried to make it right, but fussy boy here just got nasty about it and couldn't deal. That's the deal.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harley_52 wrote:
*** You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and so am I mine.

Where did I ask for "the world?" Can you point it out to me from the e-mail I posted? .

my opinion wasn't formed by what the email contained, but on what you wrote and how you behaved here.....you waited till everyone had already formed an opinion to post the emails you mentioned in the begining...the email does nothing to change. Your exchange with John still makes me think that you feel you were shorted.....and that is fine....i also see that john asked if you wanted him to refund the 35 dollars for the setup and adjust....maybe you should have said yes, since that seems to be your hangup....
harley_52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

my opinion wasn't formed by what the email contained, but on what you wrote and how you behaved here.....you waited till everyone had already formed an opinion to post the emails you mentioned in the begining...the email does nothing to change. Your exchange with John still makes me think that you feel you were shorted.....and that is fine....i also see that john asked if you wanted him to refund the 35 dollars for the setup and adjust....maybe you should have said yes, since that seems to be your hangup....[/quote]

LOL...your'e a pretty funny guy.

So, you aren't concerned with the facts, you've already made up your mind. Fair enough.

And it's "my exchange" that has you bothered, not all the name calling and insulting from the merchant.

Even funnier.

Your opinion is pretty funny, but you're more than entitled to it.

For the record, I don't care about the $35, only that I paid it for something advertised that I didn't receive.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harley, you received what you paid for. The Setup and adjust does NOT address a needle/seat, that's not something that has EVER been missing before, we've never had to check it. Now we will. But we make MANY changes to the carb, none of those have anything to do with the needle/seat, which is why you are off base in your accusations that you didn't get what you paid for. You GOT what you paid for, but you were missing another part which had nothing to do with the setup/adjust option.

I offerred to replace the missing part, but you got on a witchhunt and put me in your little black book without understanding the missing part had nothing to do with anything we did. If you had gotten an unmodified kit from ANYONE that piece could have been missing.

But you are mistaken if you didn't think you got your $35 worth. If someone had given it to you for free you'd still be whining.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harley_52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Sh*t happens, and he tried to make it right, but fussy boy here just got nasty about it and couldn't deal. That's the deal.***

More correctly, that's your opinion of "the deal." An opinion to which you're entitled to hold, by the way.

But your "fussy boy" comment is instructive. You and the Aircooled.net merchant you're so intent on supporting with your excuses and name calling seem to be cut from the same cloth. I'm not a believer in name calling as a method of discussion and was under the impression that this forum was a place for customers and merchants to discuss their issues. Perhaps it isn't.

I've done my best to describe the transaction I believe was unprofessional, misleading, and rude. I've provided my side of the story and a verbatim copy of the e-mail exchanges. They are what they are. I'm not entirely sure why folks like you feel obliged to step in, insult, and call me juvenile names, but I suppose you think it's a worthwhile endeavor for whatever your reasons.

No matter, really. I think I've made my point and I know where I won't be spending any more money or time. Others can clearly support such a merchant as Aircooled.net if they so choose.

Life goes on.
harley_52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*** If someone had given it to you for free you'd still be whining. ***

I would, would I? Pretty cool. Yet another example of you demonstrating a remarkable ability to predict the future and somehow divine someone's behavior just to suit your agenda. You are a very talented man indeed.

Good job here, John. I have to give you credit for having a loyal fedayeen of apologists, supporters, and fellow name callers. I hope they stick with you forever. You folks deserve each other.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity, Aircooled said he "stole" a needle valve out of a different set to send.

Any chance one was "stolen" out of a set in the past and not replaced?? before the set was sent out??

Shit happens all the time. it's far from a perfect world.

Harley, you got the "set-up" you paid for. AND you got free diagnosis from aircooled when you had the problem with the gas gushing. How much would it have cost you to have it check by a non-vw guy??

I'm sure your car runs now, but I bet it doesn't run as good as it could. It's obvious you don't know how to fine tune (you didn't pay for that yet) your engine and pissing off those who "do know" how to help through the net isn't going to help your cause.

Is this the first time you've gotten a missing part in an order from someone? (in fifty years)
Did you badger others in the past and insult their business methods to your satisfaction?

I think you've pushed to much and you deserve what your getting from aircooled.
It's not their fault you don't understand what "set-up" means.

I've dealt with your kind before and I don't tolerate it either.

I had a guy try to save a buck buying his own "mail order" carbs instead of buying them from me ( I "set-up" to engines also) and then expect me to provide the jets and rejet them for free to an engine I built for him.

I told him I had to charge for the rejetting and he got bent out of shape. Seemed to feel since I built the engine I should "rejet" his carbs for free.

I know you won't understand but those whose build them will.

Point is, you got what you paid for (needle valve pending?), he got what he paid for.

You both don't understand what your paying for and seem to think you should get "Everything" for basically nothing.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep posts related to feedback on aircooled.net or directly related to the transaction at hand.

Personal attacks or arguing between uninvolved parties should be taken to private emails.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harley_52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***You both don't understand what your paying for and seem to think you should get "Everything" for basically nothing.***

Please describe the "everything" I "seem to think" I should get for "nothing." Your words.

I'm curious since I don't remember asking for anything but a replacement for the needle valve/seat I took out of my 34 pict3. Honestly, help me here....I've posted the entire e-mail history. Show it to me, if you can.

I think I was very reasonable and have avoided all the name calling aircooled.net (and pals) have spewed on here.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if a needle/seat was stolen out of THIS kit, it wasn't from us. When I raid a kit to get a part needed for a customer service issue (like this), the kit is moved to an area where they are kept until they are complete again. This part was acquired from a kit missing an entire carburetor, because one of the complete carbs from another kit was defective, and SCAT hasn't replaced it yet (it's on the way, SCAT is taking care of it).

Like I've said before, I think Harley has blown this issue WAY out of proportion, considering the size of the "error". I take responsibility for the missing part, but I'm not going to take abuse without a stand.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
harley_52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Like I've said before, I think Harley has blown this issue WAY out of proportion, considering the size of the "error". I take responsibility for the missing part, but I'm not going to take abuse without a stand.***

You "blew it out of proportion" pal, when I told you I was disappointed and have exacerbated it all with all your juvenile name calling and insults.

I've said several times I'm disappointed with aircooled.net and will take my business somewhere where I won't be insulted, called names, have my motives questioned or my "demands" predicted by a merchant whose sold me a defective product and/or shoddy service.

I've posted the entire e-mail history. I asked for no refund or no "fly in" by you as you've claimed. I did ask you to replace the needle/seat which was missing from the carburetor you sold me and didn't expect such a vicious attack from a man in the business of retail sales.

You've received a lot of free advertising here.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I feel bad for all customers that have to deal with policies enacted from us having to deal with guys like Harley) who can't be pleased.

Guys like you ruin it for a lot of folks. I do not regret a thing that happened in this transaction, and am glad you are not ordering from us again.

The sentiment is very mutual. Good luck.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
Dazed42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just throw in what I've dealt with, I got a mallory coil and unilite dizzy and the coil burnt up on the way up to dallas. John is unfucking this for me and has been nice about it the entire time. I understand that stuff will mess up sometimes and even though I wasn't prepared to take care of it (had to have a fellow aircooler bring me a coil and dizzy which I should have had in my car) I'm ok with it because stuff comes screwed up time to time from the factory.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 30

Jump to: