Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aircooled.net - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: [email protected]
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: February 10, 2023
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Aircooled.net - [email protected] Reply with quote

New steering box for my 71' Super Beetle arrived, John was very helpful for any questions I had.

Always provides very good customer service and great parts.

Thanks John!

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kemo623
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled.net - [email protected] Reply with quote

I just ordered a set of dual webbers from john and am looking forward to strapping them onto my trike. Very helpful and great customer service.
RWBennett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled.net - [email protected] Reply with quote

Buyers Beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After many many years of positive experiences I've just run into a warranty and quality process that is for a deal breaker.

I just received a Pertronix Flame Thrower III coil that was DOA out of the box......checked with both meter and substituted with another coil that worked fine.

I contacted ACN customer service and got the following direction:

1. ACN pushed me to Pertronix to resolve and told me if I insisted ACN was to honor the warranty directly, well then my issue and supply of good replacement or refund would be on hold until ACN resolved with Pertronix (taking longer and leaving me hanging).

2. Customer service strongly warned me that using anything other than a low impedance coil with the ignitorIII module would void the manufactures warranty and cannot be used.

Item 1 is just unacceptable, I don't know of another parts retailer that doesn't support defective product first hand with exchanges or refunds.

Item 2 , per Pertronix technical help is just untrue and really backwards. It seems the Pertronix Ignitor III is the one than can handle low impedance coils but works with stock or blue coil just fine. However using the low impedance coil on the ignitor I or II could burn those modules out due to the higher current flow, hence voiding the warranty on the I or II.

ACN has it back ass words telling people they HAVE to buy the Flame Thrower III (or other low impedance coils) or the ignitor III warranty will be voided. I don't know if this is just product ignorance or a hook to sell a coil along with the Ignitor III modules and SVDA III distributors. Either way the OEM doesn't agree with ACNs statement.

Either way, be careful of what you consider buying from ACN given the warranty policy. I would also advise to be sure and research product requirements from the OEM before feeling you must purchase additional items or components based upon ACN only information.

Such a shame,,,,this was one of my favorite sources for VW/Porsche parts.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled.net - [email protected] Reply with quote

So much here

*1. ACN pushed me to Pertronix to resolve and told me if I insisted ACN was to honor the warranty directly, well then my issue and supply of good replacement or refund would be on hold until ACN resolved with Pertronix (taking longer and leaving me hanging).

Item 1 is just unacceptable, I don't know of another parts retailer that doesn't support defective product first hand with exchanges or refunds.

This is because Pertronix is very good on warranty issues, and resolving it through them is much faster than through ACN. If you send to us, we send to Pertronix and have to wait for them to verify the issue, and send back to us, then we send back to customer. It takes 3x as long. But if you want us to do it, we will, and do all the time.

2. Customer service strongly warned me that using anything other than a low impedance coil with the ignitorIII module would void the manufactures warranty and cannot be used.

Item 2, per Pertronix technical help is just untrue and really backwards. It seems the Pertronix Ignitor III is the one than can handle low impedance coils but works with stock or blue coil just fine. However using the low impedance coil on the ignitor I or II could burn those modules out due to the higher current flow, hence voiding the warranty on the I or II.

ACN has it back ass words telling people they HAVE to buy the Flame Thrower III (or other low impedance coils) or the ignitor III warranty will be voided. I don't know if this is just product ignorance or a hook to sell a coil along with the Ignitor III modules and SVDA III distributors. Either way the OEM doesn't agree with ACNs statement.

You are misunderstanding things slightly. First off, this is how Pertronix phrased it. We informed them that they had their electrical info backward several years ago, but their bean counters and salesmen couldn't comprehend why. The net result of a lot of wasted time with Pertronix is that the only way they'd guarantee the warranty on their Pertronix Flamethrower II and III IS IF YOU USED THEIR COMPATIBLE COILS.

I'm an EE, and know full well that you won't hurt the II nor III points replacement devices with a coil with too high an impedance (which lowers current flow), but whether or not Pertronix will warranty a failure is a totally different issue. They won't guarantee it if you don't use their coil (their words, not mine). So it sounds to me you are misinterpreting our statement. I'll clean up how it's phrased so it's not so misleading.

It is true that a 3 ohm coil won't hurt anything, but if you burn the II or III up you risk Pertronix telling you "tough luck". That is why we say you "must" use the II or III coil.

It is also interesting that you posted this on Samba after e-mailing us at 5:16pm, giving us less than 3 hours to reply, AFTER HOURS, at which point you posted your bashing of ACN here.

I think you are unrealistically impatient, quick to post hateful feedback without giving us anything resembling a reasonable amount of time to respond. Most folks would give a business 2-3 DAYS to reply to a problem, you gave us less than 3 hours, after we closed. Must be nice to have expectations like that!

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWBennett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled.net - [email protected] Reply with quote

The information I received on acceptable coil usage for the Ignitor III and guidance to use Bosh coil came directly from the Pertronix tech on the customer support line ACN directed me to use. The only requirement they told me was not to use solid core wires, which isn't my issue.

Glad you've confirmed that ACN doesn't directly warranty items for your customers. What I expected was for this to be promptly taken care of, especially in the simple light of ACN failing to deliver the working item for which I paid in full.

What should have happened is that ACN should have issued an immediate RMA or replacement getting me back on track as fast as possible. Afterwards, if ACN and Pertronix needed to resolve this, then that should occur without me, not impacting me, or delaying my resolution. It should be just between ACN and Pertronix. The commercial relationships should give direction to customer responsibility.......I hold ACN accountable....then ACN holds Pertronix responsible.

Giving me the choice to either wait until the matter was resolved between ACN and Pertronix or work to with Pertronix directly is the big problem here...no matter what your spin is sir, its' failed customer service in my eyes. Geez...this is only a $50 coil...I can only imagine how screwed I would be if this were an engine or transmission.

I will be happy to continue this debate here and on all other BB's I can find,,,,,you are just helping me to warn and educate other air-cooled fans about the gap in your polices, thanks for the help on that.

Speaking of others....does anyone else find this policy messed up????
RWBennett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled.net - [email protected] Reply with quote

OH....I also forgot, don't paint that you had no time to respond...I wrote you last Thursday night......call me hater, OK.....not true. I'm just a disappointed customer.
RWBennett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled.net - [email protected] Reply with quote

One more note for the masses....this is on the Pertronix site about coils----

The Ignitor III can be used in conjunction with most ignition coils rated at 0.32 ohms or greater. For optimum performance we recommend our Flame-Thrower III canister style or HC e-core coil.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Aircooled.net - [email protected] Reply with quote

well,you asked for others thoughts, so here's mine:

Have you taken a moment to contact pertronix directly and ask them what their replacement process is?

I'm kinda siding with ACN here as I understand the position of a smaller niche business.

ACN does not make the item nor should they "warranty" the item beyond offering assistance in aiding as a middle man between purchaser and manufacturer.

Here's a larger scale example to put this in perspective for you:
when you go buy an appliance, lets say a dryer.. you buy it at a corporate sized store. The store doesn't manufacture that dryer, they simply provide a location for you to be able to acquire it without having to go to a factory, say in china.
Warranty paperwork that comes with that appliance generally states to contact the manufacturer directly for repair or replacement.

For the buyers "convenience", all these corporate stores are now offering additional"warranty insurance", for say 2-3 year at an additional cost to the purchase price, to allow the purchaser to bring the appliance directly back to the store for replacement.

Consumers have the option to buy that "convenience" or not. If you buy it, the store does the leg work directly with the manufacturer for the warranty of the defective unit returned, while you have a functioning replacement unit in your hands already.
If you do not purchase it, then it's in your hands to do the leg work directly with the manufacture while your unit is non-functioning.

It sounds like ACN has provided you the solution to your warranty issue by guiding you to save time by going directly to the manufacturer, but also is offering to do the leg work for you with the manufacturer if you want to wait the extra time it takes using a middle man.

One other issue I see here is that it's dealing with an electrical item here.
I don't know of any company that warranties/replaces electrical items once a terminal has been connected to another.
It will be the sole discretion of the manufacturer to determine cause of the defect or failure and determine if in fact it is a warranty issue for poor manufacturing of the item or an installers error causing the failure.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Aircooled.net - [email protected] Reply with quote

We were closed on Friday. We are closed on every Friday in the slow season (Winter, until Mid Feb). So the fact that you are upset that a rep didn't contact you within 12 minutes of your after hours e-mail (to where we still don't know) to issue your RGA and send a box of candies to you as our way of showing thanks, is a bit unreasonable.

Secondly, Stephanie (who runs things) is on the first vacation she's had in 10yrs this past week. She gets back tomorrow. I will tell her how unhappy and displeased you are that she's not working on your bad coil.

And you wrote "who"? Some guys think that sending ME a note is how to solve their problem. The reality is I help with some tech stuff, and help people pick out what they need (what they do and don't need), but I DO NOT HANDLE RETURNS AT ALL. The only way I'm involved in things is if there's a question on if something is bad or not, by the time it runs thru the wringer I look at it and say if it's bad or not (or if we can't tell). So you jumped the gun a bit on this one.

So did you write "me" or "returns"?

People get this unicorn and rainbow expectation of ACN because I am on Samba a lot. But just because I am on there, doesn't mean someone else from ACN is there handling customer service e-mails. To them it's a job not a passion/hobby, and at 4:30pm (some are here at 5am, so don't say they have a soft schedule) they are GONE. They do their job well (bless them), but your expectations are completely off the charts here, and you are being unreasonable.

Lastly, you are putting words in my mouth AGAIN. I never said ACN doesn't handle warranty returns. We directed you to the mfg for several reasons

1) the mfg prefers it (specifically this mfg). Others prefer we handle it. If you have a problem with something different, there is a good chance it will be handled differently, since it's a different part.
2) the mfg can handle things much quicker (especially in this case)
3) if the mfg has a problem with a particular PN in their lineup, THEY are generally sooner to know about it than the retailer (us). Sometimes we inform them of a problem, but usually another store or host of customers has done this before we even know about it.
4) electrical items are not covered by warranty. But, if someone is cool, we cover it anyways. If they are a complete jerk, we can tell them to hit the road.Vinegar or sugar?
5) 1-4 doesn't mean that we do not handle warranty issues. It does mean that you put a bunch of words on our mouths and assumed how we handle things. Every case is different. You are just underscoring why our policies are such a good idea, and we are glad they are in place.

This is the sort of crap that has caused me to basically go on Samba Sabbatical leading up to X-mas. I deal with this all year long from unreasonable folks, get burned out, and need to step back before I do something I regret. This is as good a time as any. See you in January everyone. If you e-mail me directly I'll help as best I can, I just won't be on the forums.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Aircooled.net - [email protected] Reply with quote

Aircooled.net has a set of Beehive springs that I didnt even know existed, and happen to be PERFECT for my application.

On a side note, in a different transaction he has also helped do something nice for a fellow vw nut in need. Just more evidence for his level of character.

Unlike many companies, John gives extra assistance to help us make the best decision. I dont always take it, but then there are times when he really saves the day. Hope your taken your vitimens John and stick around this business for many years!

Just one example of the one item I been looking all over for. AC.net has all kinds of cool stuff.

255lbs open @ .500 and 117 @ 1.5 installed height, and a 8 gram chromoly retainer

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWBennett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled.net - [email protected] Reply with quote

Follow-up to Pertronix Flame Thrower Issues

I noticed ACN of defective coil on 10-25-17 and noted the above post - Received replacement coil from Pertronix on 11-16-17. Took multiple calls/notes, but got it resolved. Being able to us my Blue Coil let me keep using the car for the almost 3wks it took to resolve. Other choice would have to be park the car or buy another coil and seek refund for the ACN purchase.

I also wanted to clarify for the good people on this site the intent with my post...not that no-one should do not do business with ACN but rather be aware the return/warranty process..just take it into consideration. You see I didn't, so I was shocked that this wasn't immediately handled, and that's because in the last 20 years, I've never had a problem with ACN, not one. I have had contact when back-order parts took too long, thank you. I've had questions when it looked like I ordered redundant articles, again thank you.

I don't know where we about be without the support from ACN to keep our air-cooled passions rolling. I have found the technical advice and articles invaluable, helpful and accurate. Am I going to do business with ACN again, of course I will. But now i'm aware of the warranty/refund/exchange process, and won't be surprised if anything ever happens again.
dmiletics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled.net - [email protected] Reply with quote

When I decided to try and rebuild my 1977 Vert engine I went with John at Aircooled because he answered every one of my questions promptly and sounded very knowledgeable. I am glad I did. I am almost finished assembly of his 1800 no machining kit and John has answered my many requests for direction along the way. His help has made this first time rebuild a great experience so far. As soon as the snow clears I will break the engine in and update my post to let you know how it went. So far I would highly recommend him if you are looking for quality parts along with excellent customer support.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled.net - [email protected] Reply with quote

Want to give a big thanks to John at aircooled.net. I contacted him about a question regarding vacuum signal on my 1600dp engine build. After gathering specs on my build. He recommended other options to complement my set up.
I realize that John is in the business to sell parts. And that’s OK. The time he spent to answer my questions and genuine responses was enough for me to buy a part from him. It was as if I walked into one of my local shops that know me. I live amongst many ACVW shops/retailers in Portland, OR and buy local even if means a couple bucks more to keep a store front in business. I will tell you, dealing with John over the internet gave me the same feeling. We are lucky to have an online dealer like him. Especially you guys that can’t walk into an ACVW store in your town. And by the way his prices seem really good. I ordered a cam today. He hit me up with a thank you and “Let me know how it works out” email and had that thing pulled and packed in a couple of hours. I run a major retail store and that’s how I do business. Not many places do these days. Thank you John for being in the ACVW business and putting up with so many cheap ass, question asking dummies that think Autozone is place for parts on our 50 year old cars. Wink

It better work out or I will destroy on the forums Laughing thanks again. Unfortunately for John he will have to deal with more of my stupid questions in the future Twisted Evil

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled.net - [email protected] Reply with quote

The fact that John takes the immense amount of time out of his day to answer endless tech questions for all of us, and also runs a very good mail-order business (not to mention a store-front), speaks volumes.

I have, and will continue to buy from John @ ac.net because of the tech & product support he offers.
benbear1122
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled.net - [email protected] Reply with quote

Cant say enough about John at Air cooled.net . John has given me so much advice and tech support through several of my builds. Such as one instance where he returned a call to me to walk me through Setting Rocker Arm Geometry. Also my current project in which he is still returning to me with much needed advice. I have heard on many occasions whether it be online or through my 2 local clubs complaints about VW part pricing and Costs of shipping. Personally I have dealt with a couple venders in the past who offer free shipping and better prices. I will tell you this. You get what you pay for. Shit customer service, cheap as shit parts, and parts return issues. This is why I stick with ACN and a couple others. John is quick to answer my questions. Top customer service and Top Quality Parts are all the reason to buy from ACN .
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Aircooled.net - [email protected] Reply with quote

Since this is the first engine rebuild I have ever done, a lot of bone-head emails were sent to Aircooled.net to answer questions I had. John responded quickly to every email, even late evenings and Sunday's. So not only does John earn my full respect, but I'm impressed with the selection of parts being sold by Aircooled.net.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled.net - [email protected] Reply with quote

John @ aircooled has been here since I joined in 2004 and had a presence on previous Type2.com and Vintage bus lists.
He has extensive experience in racing, building big motors and learning what didn't work. (AKA racing.)
I have never bought from him, mostly because I only build stock Vanagons and very early splitties and I use a couple other vendors for that.
SOMEDAY I will build a type 1 engined 1970-75 T2 Westy or riviera and then will be time to make aircooled my source. And it will be.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SpiritRT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled.net - [email protected] Reply with quote

I’ve been trying to reach them since mid December. No email reply or answer to voicemail. They’ve had $1,275 of mine since the end of September. I’ll be filing fraud charges tomorrow.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled.net - [email protected] Reply with quote

SpiritRT wrote:
I’ve been trying to reach them since mid December. No email reply or answer to voicemail. They’ve had $1,275 of mine since the end of September. <snip>

How is that? Did you send them cash? That is not like John...my credit card has never been billed until parts ship, then a tracking number follows. Think
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircooled.net - [email protected] Reply with quote

SpiritRT wrote:
I’ve been trying to reach them since mid December. No email reply or answer to voicemail. They’ve had $1,275 of mine since the end of September. I’ll be filing fraud charges tomorrow.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode...370c1f976e

That’s a bummer. Maybe try a PM. Did you check Spam/trash folder? John has always been good to me. Hope this isn’t another Scott from German Supply scenario.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 30

Jump to: