Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

gas
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: gas Reply with quote

what are you guys getting for gas mileage? with our new 1600sp i think i only get like only 13-15 mpg and how big is the gas tank in a 66 bus? i filled it up and went like 130 miles and i had to walk home because the gas gauge is somewhat broken, like when i fill it up and can see it it, the gauge says 3/4 filled even though i know its full. whats the deal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank is a 66 is, I believe, 10.6 Gal. My mileage lately has been about the same, but that's partly because it's been cold and it takes the bus a little longer to warm up.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your milage is just terrible! Shocked My Dormy's dual Dellortos 1835 gives me an average of 14mpg, just over 200 miles per tankfull which is 17.5 gallons. My Phat Truck and it's side kick the Gutless Wonder, which is a 1300 single porter with a 30pict carb, just recently gave me just over 230 miles from a tankfull (15 gal.?). And that was totally "de-tuned". I just reset the timing and will do a slight valve adjustment. I also just filled it to the rim and will drive it untill it runs out just to figure out exactly how many miles a tank it will give me. This is very important to know since the gas gauge is also funkied up. I also just filled up after running over 200 miles thinking it was about to run out but only took about 11 gallons! Surprised
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just figured my numbers out and it came out to be pretty much 20mpg! Razz

Not too shabby for the Gutless Wonder! Laughing
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: gas Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
what are you guys getting for gas mileage? with our new 1600sp i think i only get like only 13-15 mpg and how big is the gas tank in a 66 bus? i filled it up and went like 130 miles and i had to walk home because the gas gauge is somewhat broken, like when i fill it up and can see it it, the gauge says 3/4 filled even though i know its full. whats the deal?

I get about the same, but I think it is my crappy single Weber carb set up. (1600 DP, ancient but cool Mallory distributor, mechanical advance.) I read on here somewhere that a stock vacuum distributor and 34-Pict carb is the way to go. I plan on doing the swap as soon as other issues are worked out first. Good luck.

Arthur

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of threads on this issue and you are getting bad mileage. My 1904 with dual Kadrons gets up to 24 on the freeway and about 18 in town. My 1776 averages about 19mpg. Your 1600 should at least be getting 17-19 in town if it's tuned right and the carb(s) is adjusted.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By new 1600sp do you mean brand new, may take a few miles to run in anfd loosen up.
Are your running the correct vac distrubutor?

Is your carb mixture set up correctly and what sort of driving did you get 13-15mpg ?
Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaeh its brand new zero miles and it has a mech advance dizzy, i just did 200 miles so far and filled it up twice. i thought this was a bit much since the bug gets like 300 miles to a full tank of gas.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so your running a 009 that due to lack of advance etc will be loosing you a few mpg's and you have not even got in run in yet.

I would say change over to the correct vacume advance and give it a little time to get run in.
Hope your gonna do oil changes and valve clearence checks as you run it in.

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man thats like 10 mpg. thats kinda low. your milage should improve as the motor breaks in. i do oil change and valves on new motor at 300/1000/2000/then normal schedule at 3000. i usually change my oil btw 2-3000 miles when it looks pretty dark. its only a few quarts anyway.
do youself a favor and get a vacume distributor. keep your 009 as a spare on long trips. you want get 30 mpg, but you should get at least 20 when your motor is settled down

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take all the bricks out of your bus and try again. Laughing My empty panel (1600 sp pict 28 ) gets 22-24 city 28-30 highway. Once from Fresno to Bakersfield I got a little over 34 mpg. My camper (1600 sp pict 34) gets or I should say got 15-17 city and 22-24 highway loaded for camping. I keep a record of milage and gallons everytime I fill up.
Many variables for mpg. Type of bus. Campers are heaviest and panels the lightest. Everything else is in between. How you drive. Road conditions, Weather conditions. Geography, mountints or desert. Traffic. People in bus. Tuned up or not.
Splits came with a little over 10 gallon tanks or someone could have put a bay window 15 gallon in it.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 65 panel with closet,bed and table 23mpg.. 1600 sp 30pict-2 carb and stock 67 bus distributer.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet your choke is shut all the time and or the float is not shutting. Is there extra oil for no reason? Does the oil smell like gas? Is the tailpipe real shiny black inside?
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the oil doesn't smell gasy and i have a 4 tip exaust on it and its not that loud. i think its just the new engine, it will probably get better. but you guys think a vacume advance dizzy is something i should get?
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it will probably get better.

no it won't, you engine is not tuned right and you may be doing it harm.. Is the choke turning off?
what carb are you using?
an mech adv dizzy 009?

if your timing is at all close your problem is in the carb? how does it run?
you need to get that thing tuned properly ASAP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6D2
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1600 dp is giving me around 20 - 21 mpg doing mostly all city driving... standard tank...
The SBS #62

Red Hot Ad Specialties & Stuff...
Shirts and hoodies for shows or clubs.. we ship world wide...
www.pottymouthpromos.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: