Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

head rehab...
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
penthink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: head rehab... Reply with quote

I have a 78 Kombi whose engine is currently sitting on my work bench. The engine ran great when in the bus, but I want to detail it and so forth. Here is my question. In my quest for bus parts, I found an absolutely primo exhaust complete with heat exchangers and everything for almost nothing. In attempting to put it on the bus, I realized the engine is out of an early Vanagon, and the exhaust ports are square, while the exhaust has the round pipes (appropriate for a '78 I believe).
No problem, thinks I. I find myself a nice set of heads appropriate to a 78 and now I am at an impasse. The heads really need attention as they are dirty and whatnot. (I have had the heads examined by a local guru who shall remain nameless cough cough Randy in Maine cough and he says they look good) I want to take them to an engine shop to have them prepped and cleaned up, but I have no idea what I am getting myself into. I don't even know where to begin. If I have these heads "machined" is that going to require oversized valves? Is there even such a thing? Does anyone know what I should ask the engine shop to do?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion:

I would send those 78 round port heads out to Rimco or Headlflowmasters and have them examined and do what Paul did to make sure they are in good shape.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1200539&highlight=#1200539

Let me know when you want to come over and borrow my engine stand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
penthink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Randy - guess this means you're home from your travels? Hope they went well. Yeah, while I'm there borrowing your engine stand, I might bring back your:
torque wrench
clutch alignment tool (yep, it turned up)
paint gun, and assorted accoutrements
hmmm...there has to be more...right?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: