Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Preheating FI system
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Preheating FI system Reply with quote

I'm adding an FI system to a 1972 engine. The FI system I picked up happens to be from a 1975 bus. It doesn't have the TS1, but this might work out perfectly as I can route the carb preheat hose to it.

I'm pretty sure this should work, but want to confirm. Looking at the air intake from the FI system it has this spring and flap. Can someone confirm that this operates on its own? I read something about it working based on vacuum? I don't want to go accidentally pumping lots of hot air into the engine if I need something more to make this flap work.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Preheating FI system Reply with quote

It should work on it's own, but time may have rendered it useless, here's an interesting thread on a similar system including a fix for dead ones: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=581562&highlight=wax

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Preheating FI system Reply with quote

In an L-jetronics system for most air cooled bus/vanagon the TS1 reads air inlet temp into the AFM, and TS2 reads head temp. I think the early 1975 bus FI system did not have the TS1 that is inside the later AFM's. Using both signals the ECU adds duration to the injection cycle as needed. Buses stopped using preheated air in the system that began being used in the second half of 1976.

Don't know if a 1600 bug FI system is mapped to work on a larger displacement engine, you might have to adjust the mixture. I think Telford set one up on a Type 1 engine in his panel van, and might have some input.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Preheating FI system Reply with quote

It works on its own with that wax pellet thermostat cutting off the pre-heated air once it gets hot enough. Avery's air-cooled has an NOS snout listed under the 411/412 parts that uses the same thermostat. It is different from the 71 bug/bus/ghia thermostat.
I would snap that up at the current price they have it listed for if you plan to use this system, it's likely the last NOS one on the planet.
Steve, wouldn't the six pin AFM from a 76 FI setup with the TS1 in it swap right in?

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Preheating FI system Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Don't know if a 1600 bug FI system is mapped to work on a larger displacement engine, you might have to adjust the mixture. I think Telford set one up on a Type 1 engine in his panel van, and might have some input.

I should clarify. The 1972 engine is type 4 and I had it rebuilt into a 2.0L. The 75 ECU is for the 1.8L engine. Will I notice a problem using it with the 2.0?

Quote:
Avery's air-cooled has an NOS snout listed under the 411/412 parts that uses the same thermostat. It is different from the 71 bug/bus/ghia thermostat.

It's actually the exact same one that I've got. Going to try and get the thermostat to work via the crimping method first though.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Preheating FI system Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
It works on its own with that wax pellet thermostat cutting off the pre-heated air once it gets hot enough. Avery's air-cooled has an NOS snout listed under the 411/412 parts that uses the same thermostat. It is different from the 71 bug/bus/ghia thermostat.
I would snap that up at the current price they have it listed for if you plan to use this system, it's likely the last NOS one on the planet.
Steve, wouldn't the six pin AFM from a 76 FI setup with the TS1 in it swap right in?

I think so if the same wiring harness is used. I am thinking that this is a case of already owning the bug FI system. If so maybe someone might trade. I can see the logic of using a bug 1600 on a type 1 motor so all the brackets etc are there, but on a type 4 it seems like there would be too many brackets, manifold changes, etc to chase down. My own experience buying FI systems is find someone who is putting a carb on and make them an offer for everything FI. Nuts, bolts, brackets, even the air cleaner pedestal which can be taken off by drilling spot welds. The last couple I bought cost maybe $250 for everything but that was back when I was restoring my bus. The secret is don't be in a hurry when looking for full systems like that.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Preheating FI system Reply with quote

I have an early '76 bus FI system on the engine in my 411 with no form of preheat. It doesn't seem to be negatively effected at all. I will note though, that even on a watercooled Vanagon I have found the engine will run better in cold weather if the intake air is heated a bit. I just nestle the intake hose for the air clean into the mess of hoses and wires on the top of the block, it likely doesn't give but a 10-20°F increase in temp, but it makes a difference in how the engine runs on a 10-20°F day.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: