Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Motometer 3in1 fuel & oiltemp senders ohm range?
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saxomat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Motometer 3in1 fuel & oiltemp senders ohm range? Reply with quote

I have a nice 3in1 gauge but no senders. I am interested to find out their ohm ranges that I can search for substitutes or try to modificate ones from some senders I already have.

Timo
dailydrivervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a dated 55 set in a 55 that was put on the car in 55. But!, somebody did an "exchage rebuilt 36" in the car in California 15 years ago, and didn't save the oil sender from the orig motor.

I bought a much later style oil temp sender off Ebay a year ago because it was cheap. It's NOS Motometer, but goes into the drain plug. I have not tried it yet.

I do have the fuel sender, So I guess I could run a test on it.

I'm not up on electronics, but couldn't you use a potentiometer to see what ohms value the oil temp needs???

My 3 gauge set has a clock, so I can't help if you have a different set.

P/S, I am presently working on a 12v conversion electronic Volt regulator set up, to use on 12v VW using 6v Motometer gauges. I already assembled one to run a Porsche 356C 6v tach in a 12V . It works slick, and voltage stays at 6.00 volts, no matter if the generator is putting out 12.5 or 14.2. I may build extra for sale on Ebay or Samba. About $20 shipped.
Saxomat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean the single 60 mm diameter Motometer gauge which tells amps, fuel amount and oil temperature - not the Motometer rally panel with three separate gauges dailydrivervw describes

I have already noticed that for oil temp Cardic senders do not work with this gauge - their ohm scale is too narrow. One Autometer sender i have is quite suitable, but it needs an additional resistor to the cable. It is mounted to oil dran plug hole and needs an adapter to make threads match.

Unfortunatelly the fuel gauge part is dead at my gauge. No wonder that I did not get ohm readings with any sense from it.

I think that Motometer 3/1 gauge could be used with 12 v without problems, just change the 6 v backlight bulb as the gauge measures only current and ohms. Right?

Timo
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Motometer 3in1 fuel & oiltemp senders ohm range? Reply with quote

Yes, this is an old thread, but still interested in same subject.
Easy E found this Motometer PDF on the modern senders:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.moto...pdf?time=0

Like to know if the ones on page three will work with the vintage oil temp gauges.
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Motometer 3in1 fuel & oiltemp senders ohm range? Reply with quote

Jumping in on a very old thread, but was wondering if anyone found a workable (not necessarily perfect) solution to finding a sending unit for the oil temp gauge in the Motometer 3 in 1 gauge. Any suggestions are appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Motometer 3in1 fuel & oiltemp senders ohm range? Reply with quote

jbannon wrote:
Jumping in on a very old thread, but was wondering if anyone found a workable (not necessarily perfect) solution to finding a sending unit for the oil temp gauge in the Motometer 3 in 1 gauge. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Could try posting a "WTB" in the classifieds for an original or modern replacement.
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Motometer 3in1 fuel & oiltemp senders ohm range? Reply with quote

from my experience- which isn't very thorough for the 3-in-1 specifically- for these old Motometer gauges is you can't count on any two gauges to read the same with the same sender. There seemed to be some factory tuning to get them to read properly.
That being said, if you have a 6v power supply you can get a decade board and run your current through it and determine what resistance values make it work for what temp.
Then go searching for a sender that seems to match, or a thermistor or something. FWIW I have a 3-in-1 gauge and I did exactly that. Sad part is being so old it's just not reliable. It'll read as you'd expect one day and the next it's totally off.
I spent weeks tuning a sender to the gauge, it was just never consistent.
But here's an analog 'decade box' you can use to see how the gauge is calibrated.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CZLPAOM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: