Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late torsion arm into early beam
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rene p. l.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Late torsion arm into early beam Reply with quote

Hi guys,
a question before i go for a custom made spindle. I want to put '67 torsion arm into my '61 narrowed beam. Do you know how to make that or i'm better to go with a dropped spindle made with a '61 and a '67? Or any problem to put '61 front brake on a '67?

It's because I have some parts on hand and don't want to buy new stuff before I ask.

Here is parts I have

'61 dropped spindles
'67 dropped spindles
'61 narrowed beam
'59, '61 and '67 OG beams, spindles and brakes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your '67 trailing arms and use a bearing press to remove the outer trailing arm bushings. Then they will go in the '61 beam. You may have to match-fit each trailing arm, but that doesn't take too long. Then you have the '67 arms/spindles and big brakes.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
Take your '67 trailing arms and use a bearing press to remove the outer trailing arm bushings. Then they will go in the '61 beam. You may have to match-fit each trailing arm, but that doesn't take too long. Then you have the '67 arms/spindles and big brakes.

Just to clearify: 67 bearings and trailing arms into the 61 beam?
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyrockjock wrote:
Long-roofs wrote:

Just to clearify: 67 bearings and trailing arms into the 61 beam?

No. You use the '61 beam as-is with the bushings, you don't remove the needle bearings from the '67 beam. If you do this, you would have to make pockets for the needle bearings in the '61 beam. For the '67 trailing arms to go in the '61 beam, the outer bushings have to be removed from the '67 trailing arms.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh okay. You mean the inner race. Wink
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mess with the '61 beam at all leave it as is.
Take the '67 arms and remove the "bushing" from them (thicker metal area near the outermost part) then slide them into the '61 beam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rene p. l.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now what should i do with swing lever? Change it for a '67 and weld a steering dampner bracket to the beam or leave the '61 and weld a steering dampner bracket to the frame? As for torsion arm, i will try to look at this on weekend.
Aaron
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has a pic of a late torsion arm with the bushings I would like to see how they are spaced. Is the inner bushing mounted flush with the end of the tube? Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: