Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2506, 2507, 2508 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
“ .price is already dropping. Lol, funny part is he texted me the other day asking the best way to strip the paint back!”

Crazy. And ruin the best thing the bus has going for it.

Back to og paint...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
Clara wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
I'm convinced that low priced rusty, clapped out POS buses are far easier to sell than medium to high priced buses because your are selling an affordable dream. Once the reality sets in, I think those vehicles get kicked down the road like a can for years until they see find their true level which is either a cut rate project price or a parts bus.

AS350driver wrote:

Though a very complex way to analyze it, I can’t definitively say you’re wrong in anything you state. Much I agree with, ie educating people. I will say, however, that if the bus had genuinely landed in the hands of a legit end user for $3700, that really just wanted a bus to fix up, it would be another bus back on the road sooner. ...

I think Eric did pretty good on the deal. Don't want someone buying it for too much and not realizing the condition, though.

I once refused to sell a cheap bus to a friend because it was so bad. It had no redeeming qualities, apart from being cheap, and being a rolling split bus.
I did warn the guy who bought it in detail how it was rough. He saw pics before seeing it in person before buying. The frame rails were fine IIRC, but it was a NW forest bus rusty gutted panel camper with bad re-paint and peeling bondo.

They did not fix it up. They passed it on maybe a year later, and bought a better bus.

The bus in question will require some expert metalwork, but we’ve seen the same “less than 48 hr” turnaround flips plenty of times here with buses that weren’t as needy. Same thing with lying and deception by flippers to get extra parts for them to supposedly finish the bus themselves...then the parts get advertised separately at a markup.

The bus you sold...was it so badly rusted it couldn’t be put in driving condition, or some partial rust repair done to get it structurally good enough to at least drivable project level?
i gues that depends on where you live. Not in ontario, we have strict safety inspections to pass. Would need frame repair, floors in cargo area, tophats, outriggers, jackpoints, engine firewall, a, b,c pillars. Lower valance, front floor corners, doglegs. On the other hand it has a really nice nose and rear corners. The roof is not nice like he states, major waves, branch fell on it or something, and holes from old body work pulling dents etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
The bus in question will require some expert metalwork, but we’ve seen the same “less than 48 hr” turnaround flips plenty of times here with buses that weren’t as needy. Same thing with lying and deception by flippers to get extra parts for them to supposedly finish the bus themselves...then the parts get advertised separately at a markup.
The extra doors that the seller has for sale are not correct for that bus. They look like the kind of garbage that I recycle, so the previous owner was probably just getting him to haul some trash away for him. Of course the seller is trying to sell those doors, but I think he will have even less takers for them than the bus, which might eventually sell if he brings the price down to dreamer-affordable level, which is perhaps even less than the flipper-affordable price he paid for it.

I find when people are selling cars, they often throw in extra stuff just to be rid of it. I have a policy of taking everything they throw in, even if it is straight to the dumpster garbage. If you start turning stuff down, they might not dig out that box with ambulance fans in it. I also have a policy of not lying to sellers or buyers. Not only do they find out eventually, but also, a good percentage of people can tell in real time when they are being lied to, I pick up on it frequently with sellers and buyers. If I am buying a bus to resell, and the seller asks what I am going to do with it, I tell them honestly that I am going to fix it up and sell it. I have never had a seller refuse to sell me a bus after hearing that. Sure, some people lie, and maybe it helps them make money, but I have found it to be wholly unnecessary.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2298916
Original Samba-Roof from German Production, Parts Price: €17500
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Almost $20k for a roof clip? wow. They didn't sell fast for $4k before there were any reproductions available.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
AS350driver wrote:
Clara wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
I'm convinced that low priced rusty, clapped out POS buses are far easier to sell than medium to high priced buses because your are selling an affordable dream. Once the reality sets in, I think those vehicles get kicked down the road like a can for years until they see find their true level which is either a cut rate project price or a parts bus.

AS350driver wrote:

Though a very complex way to analyze it, I can’t definitively say you’re wrong in anything you state. Much I agree with, ie educating people. I will say, however, that if the bus had genuinely landed in the hands of a legit end user for $3700, that really just wanted a bus to fix up, it would be another bus back on the road sooner. ...

I think Eric did pretty good on the deal. Don't want someone buying it for too much and not realizing the condition, though.

I once refused to sell a cheap bus to a friend because it was so bad. It had no redeeming qualities, apart from being cheap, and being a rolling split bus.
I did warn the guy who bought it in detail how it was rough. He saw pics before seeing it in person before buying. The frame rails were fine IIRC, but it was a NW forest bus rusty gutted panel camper with bad re-paint and peeling bondo.

They did not fix it up. They passed it on maybe a year later, and bought a better bus.

The bus you sold...was it so badly rusted it couldn’t be put in driving condition, or some partial rust repair done to get it structurally good enough to at least drivable project level?
i gues that depends on where you live. Not in ontario, we have strict safety inspections to pass. Would need frame repair, floors in cargo area, tophats, outriggers, jackpoints, engine firewall, a, b,c pillars. Lower valance, front floor corners, doglegs. On the other hand it has a really nice nose and rear corners. The roof is not nice like he states, major waves, branch fell on it or something, and holes from old body work pulling dents etc.

I was referring to the one Clara said she sold.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

thats completely ridiculous, but more so would be the retard that purchases it.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
AS350driver wrote:
The extra doors that the seller has for sale are not correct for that bus. They look like the kind of garbage that I recycle, so the previous owner was probably just getting him to haul some trash away for him. Of course the seller is trying to sell those doors, but I think he will have even less takers for them than the bus, which might eventually sell if he brings the price down to dreamer-affordable level, which is perhaps even less than the flipper-affordable price he paid for it.

I find when people are selling cars, they often throw in extra stuff just to be rid of it. I have a policy of taking everything they throw in, even if it is straight to the dumpster garbage. If you start turning stuff down, they might not dig out that box with ambulance fans in it. I also have a policy of not lying to sellers or buyers. Not only do they find out eventually, but also, a good percentage of people can tell in real time when they are being lied to, I pick up on it frequently with sellers and buyers. If I am buying a bus to resell, and the seller asks what I am going to do with it, I tell them honestly that I am going to fix it up and sell it. I have never had a seller refuse to sell me a bus after hearing that. Sure, some people lie, and maybe it helps them make money, but I have found it to be wholly unnecessary.

I’m glad you have a policy of not lying to sellers or buyers (of buses). Hopefully it’s part of an overall policy on lying in general. Smile You mention you tell sellers honestly that you’re going to “fix the bus up” and resell it, and you’ve never had a seller refuse to sell upon hearing that. I imagine not, if you tell them you’re going to fix/repair/recondition it. I know I wouldn’t take issue if you actually made the bus significantly better, then resold it. I think this discussion is about flippers that buy buses for the express purpose of reselling them at a steep markup, doing no more than winching them onto the trailer and reusing the previous pics. Many times the ad will even say “doesn’t include OG rack, seats, rims, safaris, etc shown in pics” because they strip the nice parts off.

It’s hard to imagine the flippers like that being very successful if they were like Jim Carrey in “Liar, Liar”. Just imagine. The flipper has just spotted a dry, 15w bus in an old lady’s barn in Wyoming and offers her $500 for it. (as long as she’s happy, it’s not wrong, right?) and she asks “what are you going to do with it?”, the flipper tries to cover his mouth, but blurts out reflexively “why, strip off the OG parts, take a few pics on my trailer, and put it on samba.com tomorrow for $15,000 !!!”

I just don’t see the “honest” flipper making much $$$ 😃
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
I think this discussion is about flippers that buy buses for the express purpose of reselling them at a steep markup, doing no more than winching them onto the trailer and reusing the previous pics. Many times the ad will even say “doesn’t include OG rack, seats, rims, safaris, etc shown in pics” because they strip the nice parts off.
My point is that your caricature of a flipper is not making much money unless they are particularly skillful at finding vastly underpriced vehicles, which is not an easy task. If a bus is listed on the internet way below value, there will usually be some dude who is willing to offer more and cock-block you on the good price purchase, and get an otherwise honest seller to go back on their word for more money.

There is plenty of money made by honest flippers, but not in your communist fanatasyland.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
AS350driver wrote:
I think this discussion is about flippers that buy buses for the express purpose of reselling them at a steep markup, doing no more than winching them onto the trailer and reusing the previous pics. Many times the ad will even say “doesn’t include OG rack, seats, rims, safaris, etc shown in pics” because they strip the nice parts off.
My point is that your caricature of a flipper is not making much money unless they are particularly skillful at finding vastly underpriced vehicles, which is not an easy task. If a bus is listed on the internet way below value, there will usually be some dude who is willing to offer more and cock-block you on the good price purchase, and get an otherwise honest seller to go back on their word for more money.

There is plenty of money made by honest flippers, but not in your communist fanatasyland.

Wishing there were even more honest, transparent folks in the hobby, and less dishonest, unscrupulous ones equates to being a ......never mind. But that line is very sig line worthy!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Last summer I was walking around a swap meet and saw two white bus horn buttons in pretty nice condition.
"How much for the horn buttons?"
"$10"

Knowing they could sell for at least $40 each I obviously bought both of them. Who says, "Dude, that's bonkers! Here's $80!"No one.

A lot of people walk in a swap meet or car corral to buy things they don't necessarily need. A good deal is a good deal. Generally speaking those parts that get stripped off of cars just sit in a "Castle" and are never sold.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Last summer I was walking around a swap meet and saw two white bus horn buttons in pretty nice condition.
"How much for the horn buttons?"
"$10"

Knowing they could sell for at least $40 each I obviously bought both of them. Who says, "Dude, that's bonkers! Here's $80!"No one.

A lot of people walk in a swap meet or car corral to buy things they don't necessarily need. A good deal is a good deal. Generally speaking those parts that get stripped off of cars just sit in a "Castle" and are never sold.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I am “that guy”, the el cheapo who sells for practically pennies! I know for a fact that quite a few people buy from me early to take to their swap spot and resale. I’m quite okay with that! I get rid of my stuff, someone else makes some money. I often think that if I try to sell for more, I may end up not selling at all and have to carry it all back again! Confused
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Me too ^^^ Very Happy
The only complaint I have about any of the subjects brought up is the flipper that strips a bus of all its original pieces that have value so they can make a few more dollars. Seems unethical to take a nice original and complete bus and devalue it for your own profit. But then, I have always been in the hobby for reasons other than profit, so I don't understand their thinking.

Drive 'em if ya got 'em, and don't brag if you didn't do the work yourself...

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2323181

10K tool box and it is still missing tools and shipping is not included- wow

then again if it does sell perhaps 'tool box" is apt moniker
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2323181

10K tool box and it is still missing tools and shipping is not included- wow

then again if it does sell perhaps 'tool box" is apt moniker

What the hell are you supposed to do with it? At least with the spare tire ones yours you can show it off by propping your Trunk open.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
What the hell are you supposed to do with it?

You are supposed to USE it. It is for your workshop, not your show car. Wink
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:

It was fixable. Not frame rusty. It had rocker rust, front floor rust, jack point rust outrigger rust etc. Rust from sitting in the rainy PNW. Which my driver 61 15 window also has. No rust inspections in WA state.
Bulkhead was there, wheel wells not hacked.
You could do mechanical work and drive it. Well, it did have some rain gutter issues, too. It had more rust than my 61, and did not look as good.

In 2007 we could not sell it for $600 with 15" rims and a front seat. I had installed a decklid and lights onto it. It was just ugly. It did not have a good look.

Took the ad down and used it for a shed. The rims went on another project. The front seat went in another project. It is a better shed without a seat. I think the apron went too. We might have installed a core motor to have a place to store it. We removed some heater tube pieces to put in yet another bus, so would need that if you wanted heat to work. It had a garbage repaint in an ugly colour and bondo peeling off the nose. Can you hear the hard sell?
I offered it on the samba for $1500 a few years ago. Yes, higher price with fewer parts on it. Even for a junky gutted 62 panel camper, that was cheap. It sold quick. Probably could have got a few more bucks out of it. If the buyer got more when he sold it, I don't mind.

If anyone want to whine about me taking the rims or seat off it, you should have bought it for $600 when it was offered. It was cheap then too.

Basically, if you sell a car, you let go. Now it is theirs. File the release of interest so you don't get their parking tickets. If they want to try to get 10K for a piece of junk, they will have it as art in their yard.

I sold better buses from the Maple Valley collection that got cut up.
There was a straight og paint dove blue Riviera - strong paint - that got the chop. I wasn't going to fix it, but I was sad it was not saved.
Not all 'end users' actually get around to fixing the buses. That guy really seemed to plan to fix that bus, but life changed.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Clara, in the very late 80’s , early 90’s I can remember the neighbors down the road had a few VWs sitting out on the back 40. Bugs, a squareback, and a swr 15w. The last time I saw the 15w, c. 1999, it was still 100% complete, minus the engine that went into a Baja Bug, rust free, no dents, good seats, headliner good, strong OG paint, etc. Not for sale, because the owner had plans for the tranny. It was way, way way nicer than the 13w I have now. That last time I saw it, unfortunately it did have about 15-20 bullet holes through it sideways, where it had been used to sight in a .243 deer rifle a few seasons by the owners son, a high school classmate of mine. Since the patterns were tight, it wouldn’t be that hard to fix. I spent some time trying to track it down back in 2013 and 2015. From what I gathered, the owner died, it got flipped a few times in the early 2000’s, and there were less parts each time until it was down to a shell. I heard all the glass got pulled, so I presume water is getting in. Pretty much the death spiral for buses. The son was trying to find it, too, since he heard they were worth big money now. It’s not that all end users don’t get around to fixing them up, imho. If they didn’t fix it and put it back on the road, and scrapped or sold it, they weren’t the end user. The end user is the girl or guy that ends up fixing it, keeping it, and driving it....hopefully often. Smile
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

on that Hazet 500: saw it when it first got listed and thought it was a typo for a set that was incomplete and averaging nearly $300 per tool. Good luck with that.

---------------------------------------------------------------

seriously, $50???

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2323503

Bus Door Panel Washers and Screws Price: 50.00
5 screws with washers and 13 washers on a ring.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2317801

Thought this was funny:

Quote:
Please do not contact me if you have to ask your wife about the price real men buy what they want.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

type2rescuemaine wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2317801

Thought this was funny:

Quote:
Please do not contact me if you have to ask your wife about the price real men buy what they want.

Do real men buy two toned trucks with belt trim and tweed interiors?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2506, 2507, 2508 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 2507 of 2710

Jump to: