Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2538, 2539, 2540 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Crazy money for a Westy missing its interior.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2350815

Agreed. That mango exterior respray looks way off as well.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

A non-original kit is a huge hit to the price of an SO-23.
As for the mango, that color changes more in the light than any other color. It can look like three different colors at different times of the day. I can't say whether the color is right or wrong, but a photographer has to take special care when photographing mango, and a paint mixer has to be even more careful.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
srfndoc wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

As for the mango, that color changes more in the light than any other color. It can look like three different colors at different times of the day. I can't say whether the color is right or wrong, but a photographer has to take special care when photographing mango, and a paint mixer has to be even more careful.

This shot does look warmer so it could be the lighting in the others. I would definitely want to see it in person. Pretty crazy a two owner Westy ends up missing its entire interior and original tent. I guess they could have been sold off years ago... what a shame.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Beige Grey and Overripe Mango Taupe

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Lind wrote:
srfndoc wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

This shot does look warmer so it could be the lighting in the others. I would definitely want to see it in person. Pretty crazy a two owner Westy ends up missing its entire interior and original tent. I guess they could have been sold off years ago... what a shame.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've found a number of Westy campers missing the camper kits, and it's a thing. Very few still have their original tent.
Some have the kit, but it is trashed due to water damage or being left outside. Just useful for patterns and hardware.

If it's the bus I think it is, the owner bought it a few years ago as a gutted rolling project bus missing the interior and tent.
Ad says 'two registered owners' ... there could have been more, who didn't bother to register it, and sold it on with fewer parts than they bought it with. One owner cars can be beat up.

I've seen the bus at Yakima and Vintage Meet shows a few times. Remember one Yakima it had no camper kit, but fresh paint. Colour can look off due to lighting in pics. I wasn't looking with an eye to buy. A couple years later it had a repro camper kit in it.

Having an original westy kit would be better, that was a bummer. Solid colour curtains could have been done. Can you get a repro marble mat now? They could have found real westy roof trim strips at least. and correct wood grain direction on the cargo door panel. front seat cover choice? door handle orientation.

If you want a vintage SO-23 Westy, it still needs an interior.
If you want a tidy camper, it looks tidy from here.
Is it a $70K tidy camper?

A mundane reading this will think samba people are snobs... what? you want a real Westfalia camper with the correct real westy interior in it? I see no difference.

Westy snob: Yes. That's it -real westy with correct kit. Not much to ask. And at eighties prices.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2355118

Lies. Probably on purpose to fleece the unsuspecting.

I feel like this is beating a dead horse, but a restoration means restoring it, not customizing it. There is no "concours accurate" part of this double cab. The generally accepted definition "this should mean that not only is everything shiny and in excellent condition but it is restored accurately, or as close to the way the original creator intended as possible" wasn't part of the equation when this DC was pieced back together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:

I feel like this is beating a dead horse, but a restoration means restoring it, not customizing it. There is no "concours accurate" part of this double cab. The generally accepted definition "this should mean that not only is everything shiny and in excellent condition but it is restored accurately, or as close to the way the original creator intended as possible" wasn't part of the equation when this DC was pieced back together.

All of that money and time spent, and the bumpers are still crooked.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:

The vast majority of people don't understand the definition of what "restored" means regardless of the ease of its definition both online and in print.
Its easily the most misused term in this hobby.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
peecee69 wrote:

if your looking for another reason to cry this was an og paint sealing wax dc Shocked
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

On what day did god create this double cab, and couldn't he have rested on that day too?

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

western auto wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
peecee69 wrote:

if your looking for another reason to cry this was an og paint sealing wax dc Shocked

Oh no Sad

The Ad wrote:
Fresh 2276cc motor (Oct. 2019). Only 3 miles on the odometer.

The Ad wrote:
Engine Specs:
o 2110cc

Which is it?

And 3 miles on the resto and engine?
This tells me it's undriveable or something is seriously wrong.
I can drive 4 miles going to the closest gas station and back.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
And 3 miles on the resto and engine?
This tells me it's undriveable or something is seriously wrong.
I can drive 4 miles going to the closest gas station and back.

Maybe the asking price is indicative of the screwing someone is going to experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
peecee69 wrote:

Note to self...I think anytime you use "Concours" on this website you are asking to be roasted no mater what level of restoration you have given it will get picked apart by the experts that frequent the whine column. In this case very deservingly so. Me: put a straight axle kit in it so I can go fast on the highway... also me: Put the smallest tires I can find on the back so i'm taching 4k ay 60mph Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

chris henry wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
peecee69 wrote:

Note to self...I think anytime you use "Concours" on this website you are asking to be roasted no mater what level of restoration you have given it will get picked apart by the experts that frequent the whine column. In this case very deservingly so. Me: put a straight axle kit in it so I can go fast on the highway... also me: Put the smallest tires I can find on the back so i'm taching 4k ay 60mph Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing

Bumpers and door gaps on otherwise nice builds are a pet peeve of mine, regardless of the vehicle make.

This thread makes me laugh sometimes. Your point on the tiny tires is perfect!
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
chris henry wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
peecee69 wrote:

Bumpers and door gaps on otherwise nice builds are a pet peeve of mine, regardless of the vehicle make.

My biggest worry when on long road trips in a lowered bus is that i will get a rear flat. This guy finally figured out a way around the clearance problem. Very Happy
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

chris henry wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
chris henry wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
peecee69 wrote:

My biggest worry when on long road trips in a lowered bus is that i will get a rear flat. This guy finally figured out a way around the clearance problem. Very Happy

Mirror arms are on the wrong sides. Rolling Eyes
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

"Every minor detail was addressed knowing this Double Cab would be scrutinized by enthusiasts for years to come."
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
"Every minor detail was addressed knowing this Double Cab would be scrutinized by enthusiasts for years to come."

Forgot about the major details I guess.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

western auto wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
peecee69 wrote:

They were all new and perfect once...

once a bus has been raped, it is dead to me.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

I'd like to see the before pics.
and btw, is that leather or pleather?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2538, 2539, 2540 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 2539 of 2710

Jump to: