Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2297, 2298, 2299 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

halchka99 wrote:
From what it seems, 90% of the buses posted here, ebay and CL are over priced piles of crap, where can one find a reasonable deal?

Are there certain people in the industry? leads? shops you can contact? i've been in the market for a bus for some time now and basically this thread here is a big reason i dont have one.

You have to be a member of the "bro deal" network or be prepared to pay top dollar. If not a member you need to go by word of mouth to find a deal as most flippers are using all the CL apps and snipe software for ebay to get a bit of a deal or maximize profits.

Im not even selling my bus but because its my daily driver I get offers all most daily. What is surprising is that more than half of the inquiries are from non VW people. The last one was a guy across the street from my grandmas house, who restores cadillacs and higher end american vehicles. He stopped to see what my crazy number was. I told him $75K jokingly but he didnt skip a beat and said he would only go to $60K! Since there is a perception of considerable amounts of money to be made prices wont come down soon, you have to find the owner who does not watch TV or internet stuff much. Only then do you have a chance at a deal.
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

basically living out of their bus Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

halchka99 wrote:
cru62 wrote:
Depending on where you live,

I think this works against me given the fact that i live in Los Angeles. I try to get the word out as best as i can. i cant say i've gone as far as you have but most definitely will let people know that im in search of.

Maybe, maybe not.
You have the benefit of there being A LOT of cars in LA just sitting in people's yards or driveways.

It pays to drive around for fun sometimes just looking.
Or if you are going somewhere, hit some side streets along the way.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

halchka99 wrote:
From what it seems, 90% of the buses posted here, ebay and CL are over priced piles of crap, where can one find a reasonable deal?

Are there certain people in the industry? leads? shops you can contact? i've been in the market for a bus for some time now and basically this thread here is a big reason i dont have one.

I see good deals pop up on here all the time. as a matter of fact the most recent post in the good deals thread is from me. I sent the link to someone with a want ad posted for that exact type of bus and he agreed that it was a good deal but instead of pulling the trigger he sat on it and a friend of mine snatched it up for 13.5 k .. Are you a serious buyer ? Do you have cash ready to go ? Sometimes you just have to come to the realization that you aren't going to find that OG paint 57 kombi sitting on the side of the old mans house for $500. You have to pony up and spend some real cash to make your dreams reality. I'm not saying you have to be taken for a ride but the reality is most of the easy pick deals are gone. especially in heavily populated areas like LA. the guys that are finding them pretty much dedicate all of their spare time to car hunting. I Drive my buses as much as possible. many times this leads to a conversation that turns into a lead.. my advise is if you are serious about owning a bus: know what you want, have the cash ready, dont be afraid to take a chance ( I have no cars that I regret buying, Only ones that I regret not buying ) Check the samba daily and be realistic. persistence pays off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Buy from Canada. Our buses are cheaper, your dollar is stronger. But you have to go through a bit more hassle with shipping/brokerage, but if you can fill out forms (really, some people can't or won't), you'll get almost twice the bus for your money (or more).

I have tons of buses that I don't advertise because I know no body wants the 'run of the mill Kombi' but eventually prices will catch up and they'll be worth listing.

FWIW, I always sell WELL below market price (Just sold a really decent Barndoor for $35K running/driving) otherwise they never move 'at market' price. I have NO idea how these guys get 15K for run of the mill rusty Kombis but more power to them Smile
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

How can anyone do this to a school Bus??

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=684724
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
How can anyone do this to a school Bus??

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=684724

With the price of the splitties, that rig might be worth the price just for the upper half of the VW.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/bus-panel/6263968767.html

hey at least it runs? Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

halchka99 wrote:
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/bus-panel/6263968767.html

hey at least it runs? Embarassed

Worst. Haiku. Evar.

No rot
Solid bus
Drive home
Registered
Title in hand

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Half whine, half inquiry: are slash rear bumpers worth this much nowadays? I got mine for a steal then a couple years ago, if that's where OG ones are at these days. Cheers.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2085067

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
Half whine, half inquiry: are slash rear bumpers worth this much nowadays? I got mine for a steal then a couple years ago, if that's where OG ones are at these days. Cheers.

I'd say no, not in that condition. Funny thing is, he has pointed rear bumpers for a 1/3 of the price which are arguably rarer. Also, Wolfsburg West sells repop slashs but not pointed.
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/d/1957-vw-panel-bus/6237731723.html

nope!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

halchka99 wrote:
cru62 wrote:
Depending on where you live,

I think this works against me given the fact that i live in Los Angeles. I try to get the word out as best as i can. i cant say i've gone as far as you have but most definitely will let people know that im in search of.

You need to get OFF the Web, get it your car & HUNT !! Get out of the city !!
Cruise back roads, back alleys, California has pleanty of Buses. While visiting my daughter in Humbolt county I found a few hidden gems, just by doing basic "leg work" they are out there. I give out Bus wanted cards to : UPS/Fedex guys, Postal mail cariers, Oil/Propane delivery guys,Hunters/sportsmen, Surveyers, guys that fly Helicopters, Off road guys, 4 wheelers, Dirt Bikes guys, Tow truck guys, Meals on Wheels people,real estate people, any Garages w/ old cars ect.
Stop doing what everyone else is doing- searching the web, get out & beat the bushes, or pay up the big coin for a rusty Bus....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

GLHTurbo wrote:
oakman wrote:
thom wrote:
hazetguy wrote:

and split lock washers should not be used there either.
for those thinking they can pick these up at a hardware store, they are a fine thread 12 x 1.5 x 25mm din 961 bolt. not the standard thread pitch, and hardware type stores often only carry 8.8 grade bolts.

I know that my local ACE h/w store carries them, because i haven them on a couple of my buses right now.

McMaster-Carr is another good source: $6.30 for a pack of 10

https://www.mcmaster.com/#90854A189

Thanks for the link thom!

Those are the wrong size (M10). You need M12, which McMaster doesn't seem to stock currently.

Crap! Sorry about that!

https://www.belmetric.com/12x15-fine-c-506_510_406...vbt8nvbjp2

https://www.kimballmidwest.com/All-Products/Fasten...1365;14313
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type

Last edited by thom on Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:

Ummm, no way, especially in that condition.
$1250 would be a decent pair of Deluxe bumpers I think...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

halchka99 wrote:
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/d/1957-vw-panel-bus/6237731723.html

nope!

The Big M and volume switch are cool though
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Why have a rear speaker switch in a panel van with cab divider? Question

I don't see windows hacked in for a camper conversion.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

When the person you abducted is making too much noise, you turn up the rear speaker to drown them out.

I'm disappointed there is no photo of the rear speaker.
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:

the guy enjoys showing off his anemic little plants in alot of his ads too, Price may go up after harvest time Laughing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1841157
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Clara wrote:

When the person you abducted is making too much noise, you turn up the rear speaker to drown them out.

I'm disappointed there is no photo of the rear speaker.

i offered him 5k and he said no. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2297, 2298, 2299 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 2298 of 2710

Jump to: