Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2314, 2315, 2316 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

agreed, it is a cool bus. birth certificate would be nice.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

CaLiBus wrote:
EverettB wrote:
bus radio bezel also ghia Price: 199
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2101943

I think he forgot to show the radio that's included. Smile

Seriously though, these go for $50 or so, maybe more if not pitted

How bout $19.90 ?

$20 would be a good deal on one of those these days.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

[quote="chris henry"]
tarzan271 wrote:
chris henry wrote:
thom wrote:
Martenni wrote:
Skim wrote:
70k 11 window standard

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2101372

What's this ?

For the record, I think the worst ones are those bolted to the fan opening on the back of the shroud

I totally agree with you on that thom but my dad disagrees. He has had an external cooler partially blocking the fan intake on his 69 westy since the 70's . He has driven his bus to every state in the continental us. through Canada up into Alaska and as far south as the tip of Baja. it currently has almost 920k on the clock without a single problem. Hard to argue with that kind of success. I still use the stock doghouse on my motors, but it's nice to know just cause people say something work work doesn't necessarily mean it wont

A little hard to believe that a Type 1 motor would go 920k miles without a problem. Actually, it is really hard to believe.

the bus has 920k on it.. it's on it's 6th motor and 4th transmission. the first block made to the 3rd rebuild and when it was past second over line bore it was replaced with the current block that that is now at second over on the line bore. the fan shroud remains the original one that came new on the bus from the factory .He switched to the rear mounted oil cooler around 1975 when the factory single port gave up. he also switched to duel port heads then. The area we live in is hot. It's not uncommon to see 110 degrees in the summer but the system seems to work just fine despite all the articles posted to the contrary. the bus is like old faithfull. its has never left us stranded in 48 years of driving

It's all got to do with how he drives, it runs a ton cooler at 55mph than 65mph. Even a poorly set up external cooler (or factory) is fine at slower speeds. If this guy ran 65-70 it would probably eat engines........
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

An oil cooler in the engine compartment means the air going into the shroud to cool the engine will have been pre-warmed by the oil cooler. With the same oil cooler outside the engine compartment the engine should run cooler than if it is in the compartment.
I have not compared them myself.

But .... Bruce's Dad wasn't comparing cooler in engine compartment to cooler outside engine compartment. He was just saying his bus runs good, and it sounds like he drives it a lot.

I don't know if he was saying it is at a better temp with
1) no oil cooler
compared to
2) cooler in the engine compartment?
I've heard people say that would make the oil cooler but the heads hotter.

The bus ran 920K on 6 motors? Each motor lasts an average of 153.3K miles? That is impressive! Or did each motor get 3 rebuilds? each sack had seven cats...

Saying it has 920K miles on the bus (not motor) w/o a problem doesn't actually mean the engine lasts longer with the cooler where it is.. but it does say he likes it there. And that it does not instantly overheat.
It is confusing, cause usually people don't replace or rebuild the motor unless there is a problem.

43K miles on my 56 westy with the same engine w/o engine problems and about 5K on that engine in the orange panel before that. I don't know how many miles a engine goes in a bus. FWIW
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
An oil cooler in the engine compartment means the air going into the shroud to cool the engine will have been pre-warmed by the oil cooler. With the same oil cooler outside the engine compartment the engine should run cooler than if it is in the compartment.
I have not compared them myself.

But .... Bruce's Dad wasn't comparing cooler in engine compartment to cooler outside engine compartment. He was just saying his bus runs good, and it sounds like he drives it a lot.

I don't know if he was saying it is at a better temp with
1) no oil cooler
compared to
2) cooler in the engine compartment?
I've heard people say that would make the oil cooler but the heads hotter.

The bus ran 920K on 6 motors? Each motor lasts an average of 153.3K miles? That is impressive! Or did each motor get 3 rebuilds? each sack had seven cats...

Saying it has 920K miles on the bus (not motor) w/o a problem doesn't actually mean the engine lasts longer with the cooler where it is.. but it does say he likes it there. And that it does not instantly overheat.
It is confusing, cause usually people don't replace or rebuild the motor unless there is a problem.

43K miles on my 56 westy with the same engine w/o engine problems and about 5K on that engine in the orange panel before that. I don't know how many miles a engine goes in a bus. FWIW

the engine is on its 6th rebuild now. my dad learned from old school builders like Jock lafonte ( scotts porsche in national city ) and Gehard assemacher ( AST) he typically runs the bus at 65 plus. he does all his own machine work. this makes a big difference. he uses quality parts, the pistons in the current engine are Kolbenshmit. german cam and lifters etc. I literally grew up in this bus so I know its history first hand. I was born it 69,the same year he bought it. My point was that as long as I can remember it has had the external oil cooler on the rear of the shroud and everyone says thats the worst place to put it but in this case it has worked just fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

[quote="Bruce Amacker"]
chris henry wrote:
tarzan271 wrote:
chris henry wrote:
thom wrote:
Martenni wrote:
Skim wrote:
70k 11 window standard

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2101372

What's this ?

For the record, I think the worst ones are those bolted to the fan opening on the back of the shroud

I totally agree with you on that thom but my dad disagrees. He has had an external cooler partially blocking the fan intake on his 69 westy since the 70's . He has driven his bus to every state in the continental us. through Canada up into Alaska and as far south as the tip of Baja. it currently has almost 920k on the clock without a single problem. Hard to argue with that kind of success. I still use the stock doghouse on my motors, but it's nice to know just cause people say something work work doesn't necessarily mean it wont

A little hard to believe that a Type 1 motor would go 920k miles without a problem. Actually, it is really hard to believe.

the bus has 920k on it.. it's on it's 6th motor and 4th transmission. the first block made to the 3rd rebuild and when it was past second over line bore it was replaced with the current block that that is now at second over on the line bore. the fan shroud remains the original one that came new on the bus from the factory .He switched to the rear mounted oil cooler around 1975 when the factory single port gave up. he also switched to duel port heads then. The area we live in is hot. It's not uncommon to see 110 degrees in the summer but the system seems to work just fine despite all the articles posted to the contrary. the bus is like old faithfull. its has never left us stranded in 48 years of driving

It's all got to do with how he drives, it runs a ton cooler at 55mph than 65mph. Even a poorly set up external cooler (or factory) is fine at slower speeds. If this guy ran 65-70 it would probably eat engines........

he typically runs the bus at 65 plus bruce unless of course he is on a hill then it is slower with a stock 1600 but keep in mind this is a 69 bay not a split with reduction boxes. little higher geared. bus is taching about 3500 at 65mph
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Not a bus part... but... $50 for a knockoff flag that you can get for $8.50 (shipped) on eBay. Seller even uses the eBay pic.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-Spark-Plug-Flag-Quat...687092449?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2103682
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Not a bus part... but... $50 for a knockoff flag that you can get for $8.50 (shipped) on eBay. Seller even uses the eBay pic.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-Spark-Plug-Flag-Quat...687092449?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2103682

Funny, the Bosch flagmaster isn't from Canada flipping ebay window parts...? Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

You guys see the sweet-ass Brazilian "Samba" conversion that hit the classifieds today? Man... even though it doesn't have belly pans...it's only 11.5k... so tempting.

Fred "Rugbyball" really knows how to put'em together.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2104489

62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
You guys see the sweet-ass Brazilian "Samba" conversion that hit the classifieds today? Man... even though it doesn't have belly pans...it's only 11.5k... so tempting.

His feedback too hurt my eyes...and head.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

easy e wrote:

Damn Jenga. Straight went from a dog leg to a frog leg.

Someone's been playing rugbyball up against that hatch.

1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
Someone's been playing rugbyball up against that hatch.

Nahhh..., that's just from pushing it, obviously it breaks down alot.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php...82816ec46d
After vw shut down production at the Wolfsburg plant in 56 they moved production to the CA plant to take advantage of cheap labor.. Hence the rare and coveted "CA single cab" Laughing Laughing Laughing
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

This isn't even worth that on the East Rust Coast so i highly doubt someone in CA is going to spring for that bus at that price!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2104632
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Not a Whine...

This '64 Double Cab has some cool options
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2104681

German delivery Double Cab with steering lock and inscribed axle limits in the USA

Last edited by EverettB on Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2104859

I'm not even sure what the exchange rate is these days, but there is one thing I am sure of, and that is the fact that the seller has an extra zero on the end of his price!
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Whoa... “slight damage”?! I think in dollarydoos it translates to $750
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Wheelie Pete wrote:

I'm not even sure what the exchange rate is these days, but there is one thing I am sure of, and that is the fact that the seller has an extra zero on the end of his price!

Quote:
All sheet metal underneath the windows must be replaced.

wow.... that's a whole lot worst than lower 12".....
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:
Wheelie Pete wrote:

Quote:
All sheet metal underneath the windows must be replaced.

wow.... that's a whole lot worst than lower 12".....

It is listed as a 60, and is high hinge, but the dash and front seat stands say it is later.
Was it clipped from a 66?

adriano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

And stop bumpers in rear suspension frame ( from 1965)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2314, 2315, 2316 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 2315 of 2710

Jump to: