Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2357, 2358, 2359 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2155590

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

^^ is $500 USD the new normal for a muffler?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:

That is what we should call a "highball" price.
The same brand of aftermarket muffler is available brand new from all the parts suppliers for much less.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

I overpaid for an NOS VW-stamped 40hp stale air muffler a couple years ago - great shape and oh so nice. I still don't think I paid more than $200, with shipping and PayPal fees. Maybe there are two or three other mufflers included with the pictured Leistritz one that he didn't mention...

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
velvetgreen wrote:

The same brand of aftermarket muffler is available brand new from all the parts suppliers for much less.

All I've seen is painted JP Group and I think Dansk. Who carries the nice galvanized Leistritz?
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Lind wrote:
velvetgreen wrote:

All I've seen is painted JP Group and I think Dansk. Who carries the nice galvanized Leistritz?
Oops, I was mis-remembering from about 10 years ago when it was all leistritz, now it is all dansk. They are about the same quality.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2155590

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Well, it someone fits 49-67 even though the tag says different so... Super Rare!

I could see someone asking $500 for an actual VW-stamped 1500 muffler - you don't see those very often.
I'm not saying that muffler would be worth $500 though
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
I overpaid for an NOS VW-stamped 40hp stale air muffler a couple years ago - great shape and oh so nice. I still don't think I paid more than $200, with shipping and PayPal fees. Maybe there are two or three other mufflers included with the pictured Leistritz one that he didn't mention...

Damn, five or so years back I was selling those for 20-40 as no one was running 40 horse stuff...

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:

Damn, five or so years back I was selling those for 20-40 as no one was running 40 horse stuff...

Yea, I know. One came up for sale the day after mine arrived for $100 shipped, so I should've whined then too hahaha. Whatever.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
crofty wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:

Yea, I know. One came up for sale the day after mine arrived for $100 shipped, so I should've whined then too hahaha. Whatever.

There are some 40hp bus mufflers fs on this site for $50 or $60. (not including shipping, so call it close to $100 shipped) I remember ten years ago Greg refusing to pay more than $5 for an NOS VW bus 40hp muffler at a swap. He was walking away at $10. The seller called him back and took the $5. I think we still have that muffler. How often do you need a 40hp bus muffler? If you already have a couple at home? We've owned three 40hp buses IIRC, and each one got an NOS muffler.

The seller of the $500 1500/1600 Leistritz muffler claims it is "sale already pending at not a lot less than as posted" Shocked

FWIW, WW sells a bus muffler for $129:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211251051E
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Of all the NOS mufflers I see for sale, the NOS 40hp ones are by far the most prevalent. The ones getting harder to find are the 1500/1600 ones for buses.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Of all the NOS mufflers I see for sale, the NOS 40hp ones are by far the most prevalent. The ones getting harder to find are the 1500/1600 ones for buses.

Ya, mufflers are wear items. Same situation in the 90s. Not that many people were daily driving 40hp buses then, but there were still a bunch of daily driver 1600 buses. Using up mufflers. Very Happy
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2156454
there seem to be too many numbers in the price...
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

probably forgot the decimal place.
$125.00

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2156454
there seem to be too many numbers in the price...

uncut dash

...except for the big honkin' switch on the left side.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

What is up with the front seat?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2156818
Is it so much fun to drive that he wets himself? Or perhaps the owner is Winnie the Pooh.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:

Quote:
2840cc Fat Performance type lV. Wagonswest front beam. Old Speed master cylinder, welded spindles and rear drop plates. 4 wheel porsche disc brakes. Tires are fairly new. Interior is new. Gas tank was cleaned and sealed. Has 48 IDA's and A1 sidewinder exhaust. Remote oil cooler and filter. Driver side safari is cracked and speedometer is broke. Odometer still works. A very quick and reliable bus. Sorry, no trades

I read these ads and always laugh because there is nothing there about the vehicle itself, just all the big shiny "look at me" enhancements to the running gear.

Barf. Sick Sick
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
cru62 wrote:

Quote:
2840cc Fat Performance type lV. Wagonswest front beam. Old Speed master cylinder, welded spindles and rear drop plates. 4 wheel porsche disc brakes. Tires are fairly new. Interior is new. Gas tank was cleaned and sealed. Has 48 IDA's and A1 sidewinder exhaust. Remote oil cooler and filter. Driver side safari is cracked and speedometer is broke. Odometer still works. A very quick and reliable bus. Sorry, no trades

I read these ads and always laugh because there is nothing there about the vehicle itself, just all the big shiny "look at me" enhancements to the running gear.

Barf. Sick Sick

Yes I see a lot of ads where it's check out my motor I spent $10,000 on but normal shit that costs $100 to fix is broken. There also seems to be a ton of VWs where they have an insane motor and trans but under 1,000 miles on it. This always makes me think they can't get it running right or it overheats easily so they haven't put any miles on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
nlorntson wrote:
cru62 wrote:

Quote:

Barf. Sick Sick

Yes I see a lot of ads where it's check out my motor I spent $10,000 on but normal shit that costs $100 to fix is broken. There also seems to be a ton of VWs where they have an insane motor and trans but under 1,000 miles on it. This always makes me think they can't get it running right or it overheats easily so they haven't put any miles on it.

Or the ones with the extravagant wheels, airbags, narrowed beam but no motor, interior, or title
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
nlorntson wrote:
cru62 wrote:

Quote:

Barf. Sick Sick

I echo this complaint, generally applied to all ads like this, where big money is asked, but there are minor issues that could be relatively easily repaired.

The broken items in this particular ad, the cracked DS safari and the speedo, are things you would want to have working/operable. My $0.02, but spend a nickel to make a quarter, given how little a speedo rebuild costs compared to a whole truck...

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2357, 2358, 2359 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 2358 of 2710

Jump to: