Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2691, 2692, 2693 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

a smith wrote:
Just wondering if anyone knows if other manufacturers cars are being misrepresented as much as Volkswagen seem to be?

a large part of it is that VW's and Porsche's used to be cheap and plentiful. It was really easy and affordable to create something and it was no big deal to cut a top off a wrecked bus and add it to a bus that had hail or tree damage, who wouldnt want a sunroof while we're at it, they aint worth anything who cares? 912 into a 911? who cares.

welp, then they got worth something. and with anything where people can make money or make even more my by doing something shady, well someone is going to do it...

In general, I don't care about people cutting ragtops into bugs, making a double door deluxe out of a panel - I kinda want to make a double door kombi 15 window. just don't fake the tags and then there is always the reality that someone after you can fake the tags on something you did out of fun. It's frustrating. I know of at least one fake 21 where this happened and the guy that faked it feels terrible someone else was taken for a ride when he clearly sold it as a fake. can't win being honest sometimes Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
a smith wrote:
Just wondering if anyone knows if other manufacturers cars are being misrepresented as much as Volkswagen seem to be?

In general, I don't care about people cutting ragtops into bugs, making a double door deluxe out of a panel - I kinda want to make a double door kombi 15 window...

i would totally build a 15 window kombi. a set of clara's panels, 3 rows of kombi seats. perfect. dove blue, pinstripes. build it and i will give you a big thumbs up Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Erik G wrote:
a smith wrote:

In general, I don't care about people cutting ragtops into bugs, making a double door deluxe out of a panel - I kinda want to make a double door kombi 15 window...

i would totally build a 15 window kombi. a set of clara's panels, 3 rows of kombi seats. perfect. dove blue, pinstripes. build it and i will give you a big thumbs up Smile

Just get a Brazilian 15 window kombi. Factory stock.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDIvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2592474
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

TDIvan wrote:

Very interesting dash for a 62 or is this some single cab feature I've never heard or seen of before?

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
TDIvan wrote:

Very interesting dash for a 62 or is this some single cab feature I've never heard or seen of before?

Hackage.
I saw this hack on a SC in Oregon maybe ten years ago.
I borrowed the driver side kick panel to copy it, and returned it intact.
I suspect that truck is an early 63, FWIW

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I_Dont_Mind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2592865

This bus was 20k a year ago, now available after a 10k tune up Very Happy
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

How stupid does this guy think we are?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2593575
A quick internet search finds these available for $20 to $25
https://www.puzzlewarehouse.com/wave-hopper-550-pi...IMQAvD_BwE
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

The resellers have really been swarming the last few days…..$48k for a rusted out shell of a 58 pgsg Westy

https://m.facebook.com/groups/617736385057746/permalink/2344606202370747/

Last edited by AS350driver on Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

And, of course…. Lol…wasn’t this like $19k a week or two ago?

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/702157844880700/
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

I_Dont_Mind wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2592865

This bus was 20k a year ago, now available after a 10k tune up Very Happy

$3k MAYBE tune up. This was discussed on Facebook as well. Theres nothing there, to me, to make it close to the asking price.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2595128

A press bumper, semifore, 11 window sunroof is probably the ultimate bus in my opinion. why the hell anyone would ruin it by adding a window is beyond me. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

agreed. was a really cool bus before. Still does look nice, though. Not my taste but pretty.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

The extra windows by themselves would be easy to fix. With all the other custom stuff, this one is pretty far gone.

I would rather have something with more originality and a custom sunroof than a custom bus with an original sunroof.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Like I mentioned in the '11w sunroof' topic, since this bus came from Austria , the additional windows could very well have been a coachbuilt period modification, when the bus was new. ( the window openings appear to have a slightly different size compared to original. I would think if somebody did this today, they would use an original cut, repair panel and og size rubber and donor glass).
I really like this one a lot. Am I missing something, or do you all see more custom work to the bus other than bolt on interior parts (panels, upholstery), the DLX trim and the (reversible) lowering ? I get the part where the wrong interior, missing seats and trim would lower the price of such a rare bus. imho the additional windows add to it, if they were installed back in the day.
I think the price is correct for what it is and if somebody likes it enough.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
Like I mentioned in the '11w sunroof' topic, since this bus came from Austria , the additional windows could very well have been a coachbuilt period modification, when the bus was new. ( the window openings appear to have a slightly different size compared to original. I would think if somebody did this today, they would use an original cut, repair panel and og size rubber and donor glass).
I really like this one a lot. Am I missing something, or do you all see more custom work to the bus other than bolt on interior parts (panels, upholstery), the DLX trim and the (reversible) lowering ? I get the part where the wrong interior, missing seats and trim would lower the price of such a rare bus. imho the additional windows add to it, if they were installed back in the day.

Between the deluxe trim and the extra windows, the bus needs a new paintjob. That is a huge expense. Add in the interior and suspension, and you are near a full restoration. And this is on a bus that has been restored at least once before.

If a person likes the custom stuff, then it might be a worthwhile deal. If a person wants it to be stock, then they are paying to undo what they just paid someone else to do (the sale price is predicated on the costs the owner sunk into the bus). I hate wasting money like this, and even if I ended up in the same spot moneywise as coming in from a different direction, this is not the road I like to travel. This is one way that custom stuff really narrows your market.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:

Undoing all the lowering and suspension and irs and putting back to original stock height is going to be a huge amount of work, plus expense, as most people don’t have a serviceable original front beam, tranny, RGB’s spring plates etc just laying around. Obtaining these parts is becoming harder as more people reverse previous owner’s lowering jobs.

If the bus had any OG paint left that would help, but doesn’t look like it does.

Whichever previous owner decided to “customize” and lower this bus back in the day probably had no clue as to the far ranging consequences of what they were doing.
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2595545
Seller says "haven't tested it, but my guess would be that it probably works" Wink
klubbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
djfordmanjack wrote:

Between the deluxe trim and the extra windows, the bus needs a new paintjob. That is a huge expense. Add in the interior and suspension, and you are near a full restoration. And this is on a bus that has been restored at least once before.

If a person likes the custom stuff, then it might be a worthwhile deal. If a person wants it to be stock, then they are paying to undo what they just paid someone else to do (the sale price is predicated on the costs the owner sunk into the bus). I hate wasting money like this, and even if I ended up in the same spot moneywise as coming in from a different direction, this is not the road I like to travel. This is one way that custom stuff really narrows your market.

It looks to have low taillights instead high also?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2595545
Seller says "haven't tested it, but my guess would be that it probably works" Wink

Sort of pointless to say that.
Is it the "ran when parked" version of a radio? Smile

OTOH, At one point I had a ton of Sapphire radios and I tested all of them and most of them worked, meaning they turned on and sound came out.

Did they work like they were supposed to when new? Doubtful
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2691, 2692, 2693 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 2692 of 2710

Jump to: